What's new

denon 2900 or yam s2300? (1 Viewer)

Wes Goff

Grip
I need a dvd player with dvd-audio and sacd. Has anyone been able to compare these 2 models? I can get both for a good deal, but the Yammy is $35 more. I've heard good things about the denon, but the yammy would match my rec. Please help me before I loose my mind!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
First of all, don't buy a component because it matches your receiver. You should buy a component because it does what you want and it does it well. Around here, most folks are in love with Denon. That doesn't mean Yamaha doesn't make products as good or better than Denon.

I had the Yamaha in my home for a test for about three weeks. I liked the picture and sound quality very much. I wasn't, however, happy with the bass management. The bass management is separate for SACD and DVD-Audio. You can't change from multi-channel to two-channel SACD on the fly. You must stop the disc first, then switch. And the Yammie can take a while reading a disc just put in, as it tries to determine if the disc is SACD, CD, DVD-A or DVD.

If you can live with those quirks, I'd highly recommend the Yamaha. I didn't keep mine because I decided DVD-A and SACD weren't worth repurchasing my CD collection.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
wasn't, however, happy with the bass management. The bass management is separate for SACD and DVD-Audio. You can't change from multi-channel to two-channel SACD on the fly. You must stop the disc first, then switch. And the Yammie can take a while reading a disc just put in, as it tries to determine if the disc is SACD, CD, DVD-A or DVD
The Denon works the same way,you can press the SACD set up button while it plays but it forces the player to "reload the disc".

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
I went from S2300 to 2900 w/ no regrets except that I wasted some $$. Go with the Denon, to me it sounds better than the Yamaha. Also, it's annoying to have to get up to manually turn on or off the S2300. Yamaha picture is a bit too soft and you can only adjust Normal or Cinema on progressive mode. Denon gives you 5 different settings and one standard on video, very flexible. The picture is sharp, yet very smooth. The best I've seen except maybe for the lastest stuff (Bravo or Samsung HD-931) with DVI.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I just got a Denon 2900 and I'm really liking it so far. One problem though...I was playing the Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A and it started skipping and pausing all over the place. I stopped the player, shut it off and started playing it again and it played fine.

If you're going to buy this player, definitely get it from an authorized dealer that will take care of you. From what I've been reading on the different forums, the 2900 has some quality assurance issues. If mine skips again, I'll be exchanging it for a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks