What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Doug

I guess some people do power cords, some conditioners, some both, and some neither. I went the conditioner approach and stopped there.

(If you're interested, Underwood HiFi/Parts Connexion does have a cord they recommend for use with the modified DVD-2900.)

Cheers -- Trevor :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Besides speakers,I ve never noticed any changes on any of my electronics to have any effects to it's sound,which makes perfect sense to me.This includes my 2900,it's "sounds" the same way as it did out of the box.
Thanks Reggie!If you're in the neighbourhood,just let me know you'd be welcome!:)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I did try a stock 2900 in my system and did not perceive any audio difference after break-in. OTOH, when I first purchased my Panny RP-91 and tried DVD-A (and a bit of redbook), the sound was horrendous. After breaking it in for a while with DVD-Vs and then going back to DVD-A (and redbook), the sound was noticeably ... less horrendous :D . The other electronic component where I heard noticeable break-in was my Odyssey amp.

Doug

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
audioholics has an article on it and they found that after the 3rd week there was a very noticeable difference in the 2900

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Trevor,

I guess some people do power cords, some conditioners, some both, and some neither. I went the conditioner approach and stopped there.
Yea, I recently went with a power isolator (BPT BP3.5) and so far have replaced the power cords on all my amps. Changing multiple variables at the same time does compromise my ability to discern which upgrade is responsible for the audible differences (which I do perceive), but I did some playing around that suggests to me that the power cord upgrade has had the larger impact for my amps. I will try a config that removes the amps from the isolator and live with it for a while.

I have yet to upgrade any of my sources' power cords, as 1) they are all either directly attached or have a non-standard connector, and 2) I will be getting a new modded universal unit which will have a standard IEC connector added. I wouldn't be surprised if the isolator helps this unit (and digital sources in general) more than the isolator helps the amps.

BTW, looks like I'm going with a 47Ai with a Dan Wright tube mod.

Doug

Doug_B

Screenwriter
audioholics has an article on it and they found that after the 3rd week there was a very noticeable difference in the 2900
Guess I should have kept the unit longer (and drive my wife crazy in the process). In any case, I probably had convinced myself by that time that going with a modded player was best for me.

Doug

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Doug

You may already be aware of this, but if the conditioner you plugged your amps into provides transformer isolation, or anything else current constraining (chokes, etc) it can actually interfere with amp performance.

I found conditioning had a very desirable effect on my sources, preamps, amps, and projector. Can't speak for the TV since it was installed after the conditioners went in, but its probably benefiting. Perhaps power cords would be beneficial as well, but I drew the line at conditioning.

I included a pair of Bybee devices in my DVD-2900 mods and am really curious as to how it's going to sound after break in. This is the first time I've taken the modification route so I'm open to an education.

PS I'll be interested in learning how the Pioneer DV-47ai with Modwright mods plus output tubes compares to stock.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
FYI Denon is now sending out an firmware upgrade disc to dealers to correct a couple minor issues.

1. pixel cropping corrected
2. freezing on some discs
3. rs232 protocol corrections

jason-celaya

Agent
I really wish they would firmware fix the power down memory issue. i never get to watch a movie all the way through (4 kids) and each time I have go through all the menus again to find where I left off. That good navigation is fast otherwise this unit would go back.

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
I checked out the Underwood mods for the 2900. For the level 1 mod the unit'll run you $1790 and with the superclock ANOTHER $450. That makes the total more than a 5900 ($240 MORE). At that sort of price for the 2900 mod, could someone tell me why one would not just get a 5900 to begin with?

Thanks,

J.
Stanton

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi J,

I would guess that depends on why you are interested in the mods to begin with. If your interest is due to wanting a significantly upgraded sound, why do you presume the stock DVD-5900 would get you to the same level?

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I hope I am not out-of-place in this thread; but, I think my 2900 may have a problem. I have had it since they first came out, and have enjoyed it very much. However, I recently noticed that it is shifting the picture downwards on my Toshiba 65H80 screen. It is very noticeable with releases that are greater than 1.85. I though perhaps it was an overscan, (or underscan?), problem with my TV; but, have found that my Toshiba DVD player exhibits just fine, with bars of equal size above and below the image. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Jeff, Denon has adressed the pixel cropping (image shift) issue in their latest firmware upgrade. Contact your nearest Denon dealer and ask them to get you the upgrade discs. Other issues were addressed as well. (see my above post)

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Trevor:

You are correct, I am not interested in upgrades for the 2900's video performance, strictly audio. I don't presume that a 5900 would get me up to the same level as the modded 2900, but what I'm asking is would the audio of a 5900 be significantly better than a stock 2900? If not, there would be absolutely no reason for me to spend an extra grand (or so) for a 5900 vs. a 2900.

So the question REALLY is: how much better sound does the 5900 have compared to the 2900, and is that worth the extra dough?

Thanks,

Jeff :)

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Trevor:

I got my question answered:

"Don't buy a 5900 as the only difference over the 2900 is on the video side. They sound the same. Walter"

Walter Liederman
[email protected]
Phone-770-667-5633
Fax-802-609-1893
web: underwoodhifi.com

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey.

I don't know who gave you that info. But look at the Audioholics first look at the 5900 and comparison with the 2900:

http://www.audioholics.com/productre..._DVD-5900.html

Particularly those 2 parts:

"The DVD-5900 has discrete and isolated power supplies for digital and analog, whereas the DVD-2900 appears to integrate both together on the same CCA with separate regulators for the digital sections.

Both the DVD-2900 and the DVD-5900 use some of the most sophisticated electronics commercially available. But the 5900 sets a new standard by offering an even higher caliber list of electronics."

I don't know were Walter got that info, but the 5900 and the 2900 DON'T sound the same. I had both in-house, and the hi-rez formats don't sound the same. That's false information. Alot of former 2900 owners that made the switch to the 5900 can confirm that fact.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Jeff

Yes, sonics alone don't appear to be a great reason to choose the DVD-5900 over the DVD-2900.

According to Denon, the DACs are the same part number on both players. From odds and ends I've seen on the web, I'm under the impression the I/V and output devices are at least similar (maybe the same). From what I've read, the Superclock II with specialized supply is a major step beyond what is included in any remotely reasonably priced player, and that can have a very dramatic impact on sound quality. Additionally, there are storage capacitor and rectifier changes that easily exceed the scope of reasonably priced players, and unquestionably remove noise and improve power rail stability -- thereby boosting sonics.

There are also a number of other desirable changes (internal damping, absorbing feet, coupling capacitors, resistors, op-amps, output jacks). If this kind of work was being performed on an automobile, it would be considered very serious hot-rodding. Definitely nothing straight from the street would like to take on.

I've yet to listen to the mods myself (my unit was delayed a week and will need serious break-in time), but from the nature of the mods, plus comments from an independent reviewer, I'm expecting the stock DVD-5900 to be no contest.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Lévesque

I would expect a fully independent audio supply to help the performance of the DVD-5900, but the review you are referencing does not discuss the performance, only the construction -- worthwhile, but hardly conclusive. Outside of the independent power supply, I only recall it specifically mentioning the DACs -- very good devices, but the same as in its $1000 less sibling. My hope would be the DVD-5900 would offer some sonic improvement, but there were clearly MANY video (and cabinet) associated changes to help consume the price differential. I realize you are the world's leading fan and cheerleader for the DVD-5900, but it's not at all clear its purchase would be justified on the basis of sonics alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks