What's new

Denon 2900 Dvd-a/sacd Player At Ces!! (1 Viewer)

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Mike. That's a better picture than hometheaterhifi posted. It does look like the 3800, we can keep hoping that it's a 3800 w/sacd.
Did you touch or pick it up? Is it built like a tank?:D
Man, June couldn't come sooner even if it's next week. This will bug me for awhile.:frowning:

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
"we can keep hoping that it's a" [rant]fixed 3800 without CUE and freezing skipping problems[/rant] "w/sacd."

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Now, my question is this: will the Denon 2900 compromise the DSD bitstream like all current universal players (except the uber expensive high end units) by converting it to PCM in order to perform bass management and delay functions (and to run it through the universal audio DAC's)?
The Pioneer dv-45a and 47ai do NOT convert any portion of the signal to PCM in order to do BM on SACD. (Sony, believe it or not) DSD all the way. Been covered before in other Pioneer threads... That's why there's no time alignment for SACD in these players.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link Mike!

Does the 2900 also have HDCD decoding? The 2800 and 3800 do so it seems unlikely that the 2900 wouldn't since it uses the same design. So the 2900 will be Silicon based.....wow! I am now really starting to wonder what differences there will actually be between the 2900 and 3800.

The plot thickens,

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan Hitchman asked:
Do you suppose, in the long run, that it would be better to get a good SACD audio-only player (like the 555ES) and then a separate high quality progressive scan DVD-Video/Audio player?
Good question. Time will tell. One might have to spend a lot more on dedicated SACD and DVD-Audio players to outdo the '2900 (or similar universal player). Straight DVD-Audio players for around $1000 are probably going to be harder and harder to find, so one might go with a universal player. Then if SACD is lacking, get a dedicated SACD player. The problem is that the excellent 'C555ES is very tough to find now. If I were to buy the Denon '2900 and were not happy with the SACD performance, I would look long and hard at the Marantz SA-8260, which is a $1000 single-disc SACD/CD player (no DVD). Of course, then I would have spent around $2000 to get both formats right. One might then look for a $2000 universal player, but I don't think there are any. What a dilemma. ;)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Keith I fixed the link.
Dan I was gonna say the same thing regarding TA what Kevin pointed out.The Yamaha also lacks TA on it's SACD output[analog].

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Note this statement according to someone on hometheaterspot.com:
I asked the Reps. about the "Denon Link" on the soon to be 2900, and it will NOT have it. This is quite sad that Denon has a prapriatory link that even they are not going to use after the 9000. Strange?
:frowning:

Eric_RP

Auditioning
Maybe Denon is not using their proprietary Digital Link and is waiting for the "industry standard" to be implemented by all manufacturers. Then they may put out the next model (perhaps 3900 or whatever the next numerical model number may be) with next generation chip and digital connection for DVD-A and SACD.

Eric

John-Miles

Screenwriter
So this begs the question do i get the yamaha soon, or wait even longer for the Denon..... oh the choices and the pain of holding on to my money....

By the way with regards to havign a separate DVD-A and SACD, I had thought a big problem would be connecting both to a receiver... myself i only have one set of analog inputs on mine, is there some reasonable way around this that I am unaware of at this time?

Eric_RP

Auditioning
John,
No reasonable way around the different DVD-A and SACD outputs to one set of 5.1 inputs on a processor. I have both and use the Radio Shack switch box method to select the player but it is all manual switching and the cost of decent cables is not cheap. You can use a switch box by Shawn Fogg, but most processors do not allow multiple devises to one logical input.
I'm hoping that the 2900 will solve my issues, until the next best thing comes along and I have to have it :D
Eric

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well all I know is I spend $800 on a DVD-2800 player from Denon and even after upgraded firmware it still has a VERY nasty chroma bug. As much as I find their other products interesting it's still annoys me as to how much I wasted on one of their products and how they handled the situation.

Needless to say it's sitting in its box and I'm going to end up just eating the $800 in the end.

So when Denon says something doesn't have the Chroma bug I'm not inclined to believe them, since they told me the 2800 was fixed.

my 2 cents.

Brian

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hmmm I dont knwo if i like the idea of using a rat shack component as an interconnect on DVD-A and SACD i mean if cables are supposed to makea big difference then what losses will you get from that interconnect box?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
A couple of points to make about the Denon DV-2900.

1) It does not use the same architecture as the DV-3800.

2) It does not use the same architecture as the DV-47a.

That's about all I'm at liberty to discuss at this time.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John-Miles said:
Hmmm I dont knwo if i like the idea of using a rat shack component as an interconnect on DVD-A and SACD i mean if cables are supposed to makea big difference then what losses will you get from that interconnect box?
The switch boxes certainly could cause degradation, but I use them, and in my experience, they do not cause any degradation. They work great.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hmmm interesting... But I think I will still steer away form separates in this.
Actually i will by the Denon or the Yamaha, whichever i can get my hands on first.
Too bad the market where i live will support 10k plasma tv's but not 1200 dollar dvd players :frowning:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Marc,
No time soon. The DV-2900 was a prototype that they were demonstrating, and if memory serves me correctly, they werehoping for a June release.
Keep in mind that hoping for a particular date, and being able to make that date are two different things.
Regards,

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
The 2900 may find a place in my system. I almost went for the 3800, but opted not to due to the problems with the player. I bought the RP-82 for a quick fix, but the 2900 looks like it might do the trick at this price point. Time will tell.

Thanks for the info guys.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks