What's new

Denon 2900 Dvd-a/sacd Player At Ces!! (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Stereophile's website has given details from day one of CES:

"Denon and Linn, on the other hand, premiered DVD-Audio/DVD-V/SACD players, thus joining the ranks of Pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo, and several others in offering universal machines. Denon's new model, the DVD-2900, is $999 at retail. It incorporates Burr-Brown DSD-1790 24-bit/192kHz audio D/A converters as well as full digital bass management for DVD-Audio and SACD with selectable crossover slopes."

I predicted that Denon's universal player would be under a grand. In fact, it has the same msrp as the new Yamaha and Onkyo universal players. It would be great to see all three in a shootout. If anyone does get photos of the Denon, please post them here. I am curious about the units build quality and the chip it employs for video. I am certain that it will have the new FL2300 Dcdi faroudja chip and not the Silicon chip found it the more expensive 3800 and 9000. Either way, I hope this player turns out to be a winner.

Reg

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Wow, selectable crossover slopes... I wonder if it will have any choice as far as crossover freq too?

Oh yeah, and a digital connection to the 5803 too? ...

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
This is a love-hate relationship.

Love the new gear but hate waiting to find out when it will be available. Heck, we have currently released product that is unavailable.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, thanks for posting the news. The '2900 sounds great. Hopefully some pictures will be available soon. I also hope it will show the build quality of the '3800 rather than the build quality of the '1600. Time will tell.

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!! I'm excited now. The only reason I got Yamaha S2300 was because it does SACD and Denon 3800 doesn't. S2300 is a little weak on the video side. Let's hope 2900 will be great for video and audio. OOOPPSS! Have to let the Misses knows I'm changing player again, she'll kill me. I hate these manufacturers:D

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Is it progressive? Any word on which chip if it is? Sounds really interesting. I was considering the 3800 but if this is a SACD 3800 that would be HEAVEN! I have a 1600 and a cheap sony SACD. I could ditch BOTH and pick that sucker up!
Drool!
More details PLEASE!
Marc

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Marc,

Yes, the 2900 will definitely be progressive. However, I am curious to know if this player will contain a firewire interface. It probably doesn't since the firwire standard was just recently decided upon, and the 2900 was already in production.

Reg

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I would say probably not. The chroma bug was corrected in the 3800 and 9000 and was not present in the 1600 and 4800(not totally sure about this one).
Marc

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marc, I believe you are correct in saying that the '4800 does not show the chroma bug.

Is it correct to say that the '3800 and '9000 absolutely and unequivocally do not show the chroma bug? As I recall, all Denon did was release a firmware upgrade that masks the chroma bug but does not eliminate it. To eliminate it, they would have to go with a different MPEG decoder, right? My concern is that if Denon uses the same MPEG decoder in the '2900 that is used in the '3800 and '9000, the chroma bug will not be completely eliminated. Thoughts?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

I think the 2900 will be a Faroudja based player, so there probably won't be a chroma bug.

Reg

Steve & Karen

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know why Yamaha 2300 would be weak on Video, sinc it does have the Faroudja DCDi...?

Since they are the comparable priced units actually available now (unlike the Denon 2900) , does anybody have comparison of Onkyo 800 vs. Yamaha 2300...? Redbook CD, DVD-A, SACD, Video...?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully we will get some information soon on the chipset that Denon is going to use.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Faroudja processing cannot eliminate the chroma bug. :) It can only attempt to minimize it. The real solution is an MPEG 2 decoder chip that doesn't create it in the 1st place.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Folks,
Denon has corrected the chroma bug in their present generation of players so I seriously doubt that the 2900 will exhibit this problem. I would expect the video section to be at least as good as the DVD-1600's, which never had the chroma bug. I am also curious to know if the 2900 will support HDCD decoding. For 1K, this player had better be Denon's own design (It's build quality should be closer to the cheaper 2800Mkll NOT the DVD-1600), though I would not have a problem with a Panny video section if it utilized the new FLI2300 chip and their latest MPEG decoder. I simply think that Panasonic makes the best progressive players under one grand and wouldn't have a problem, especially since the main selling point of the 2900 for me will be the DVD-A/SACD/HDCD/CD audio performance on the 2900. The audio section of this Denon should be better than the 1600's, especially at a 1K price-point. More than anything though, I am curious about the SACD performance in the 2900, as Denon had never produced an SACD player prior to this one. Giving their audio credentials though....I'm not to worried.:)
Reg

Users who are viewing this thread