What's new

Denon 2900 and odd SACD issue (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was running my 222ES for multichannel SACD and had no problems. I wanted to compare it to my recently acquired 2900, so I swapped swapped the connections over. I tried out a number of discs without issue, but when I got to Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral SACD I ran into a snag. The first few multichannel tracks play fine but about half way into the album, the sound starts to drop out increasingly as the album progresses until it just won't play any longer. My guess is it has something to do with where on the disc these particular tracks are located, because the CD layer and 2ch tracks play fine. I had no problem with this disc on my 222, so I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with this particular SACD or any other discs with the 2900?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Don't own the disc or the same players but I have 3 SACD capable players in my systems. Sometimes, but not all the time, the more formats a machine plays, the more it is prone to problems on certain discs. Sometimes I've found cleaning dust off the lens of the player (with one of those CDs with a brush) helps. Sometimes I've found zapping the disc with a static charge eliminator helps (I have the one from Maple Shade Records). I even had a problem with a CDR-W that a PC would not read be helped via static charge elimination. Also, on some machines powering off the unit with the problem disc inside and then powering it back up a drop later with the problem disc in it will help on some machine.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks, I'll try the powering off thing. It's the first SACD I've had a problem with with this player, but I did have one other DVD that it didn't like much either. It played, but it would pause briefly at certain points, which almost looked like layer changes, though that wasn't possible becasue it's a single layer disc and it did it periodically through the movie and repeatably. I'm sure it is a compatibiltiy issue with the particular discs, but I'll try your suggestion. As for antistatic, I'll have to give that a shot too. I got some free antistatic media cloths (for CD/DVD) at a semiconductor industry convention that I'll have to try.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Power on off thing didn't work. I tried the disc in my 222ES and maybe I never realized it before, but it appears to do something similar on the multichannel tracks, though it only slightly drops out breifly and never stops completely. Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll exchange the disc and see if a fresh one does the same thing. If it does, then I'll be picking up the DVD-A again...(I sold my copy once I was able to get my copy of the SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks