What's new

Denon 1804 vs. 3803...not the obvious (1 Viewer)

Al H.

Agent
I'm interested in trading in my 1804 because im feel that the model is not what im really looking for. I hear alot of great things about the 3803 and nothing on the 1804. granted it's a great upgrade considering what I had before, but I think I want to bump it up because my sound quality is of utmost importance. I know the obvious reasons why the 3803 is superior to the 1804, but I would really like to know: does it sound that much better as far as sound quality goes:dynamic range of receiver, imaging and so on so forth. I want to have pristine sound like most and I would like to hear feedback from some 3803 owners, so I can go by what you've heard and not what you've read. Thanx so much guys, LOL

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Well, I can tell you how my 3803 sounds with my speakers in my room, but that won't help you much with how it will sound for you. Also, I have not really listened to the 1804 to compare for you.

I can say that you are making a significant leap in quality, and price. Since you have entered a higher price bracket you now have a lot more options. You really should go to the store and audition a bunch of receivers and decide what sounds 'pristine' to you.

Look at comparable HK, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, NAD, and Sony ES.

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator

You must be mistaken Jack. The Denon 1804 & 3805 are receivers. Am I missing something?

Ray**W

Auditioning
Al, I just upgraded from an 1803 to a 3803 because I was able to score an incredible deal on the 3803. If your 1804 is working OK and you are only interested in the "quality of the audio", there really is not compelling reason to upgrade.

I wanted to take advantage of the pure direct stereo and have a unit that could act as a pre/pro in the event that I wanted to add some amplifier(s). The 3803 has another 20W/channel, but that's no big thing.

I have not noticed anything I could describe as improved audio. The real differences are bells & whistles, not basic audio capability of any substance. I DO feel a bit better about scratching that itch called "upgradeitis",
I am extremely pleased with the price I gotand my bragging rights went up a notch.

As I said, no REALLY compelling rreason to go for it. However, if you just WANT it, I can understand that!!! More HT stuff and testosterone are a pretty impressive combination. ;)

Either way - I don't think you can make a mistake. Good luck with it.

Ray

Al H.

Agent
yeah I think i'm going to upgrade just because of the fact that it has more power per channel and the ability to connect external amp's. But, I just found out today that they discontinued the 3803 and now coming out with the 3805.Quite a bit more money than the 03 though. Im not sure whats different yet, but i'm gonna wait patiently till I know.

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon website does show specs for both the 3803 and 3805 receivers.

The new AVR-3805 adds Dolby Digital IIx (turns stereo into 5.1 or 7.1 surround), more power (120w per channel), a better amp, an input for a microphone that will automatically "calibrate" your speakers and an auto equalizer. Plus a much cooler remote.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but check the specs from the Denon website:

Denon AVR-3805

Denon AVR-3803

The new AVR-3805 is selling for $999 online. Search pricegrabber.com or froogle.com But, be careful if you are worried about the warranty. Denon may require an authorized dealer to be used for your purchase. Crutchfield is an authorized dealer.

'Al H', I'm in a similar boat to you mate.

I have big speakers in my HTS but I 'only' have the Denon 1603 (70 wpc) driving them.

The lousy thing is that to upgrade to a Denon 3803 would cost an extra $AU2000 which is a lot of moola!
I don't want extra 'bells'n'whistles' I just want more power.

Why dont AVR manufacturers make models which simply have more power - surely this would keep the cost down.

I would be happy to pay double for a reciever with an extra 50 wpc, unfortunatley you have to pay quadruple because of all the extras you get - most of which you don't use!

Are there any AVRs out there which have mega power without the needless extras?

GregoriusM

Second Unit
The AVRs out there that have more power without the extra features are called "receivers used as pre-pros with amps to upgrade the power". :)

Even many 3803 owners have done that.

If you've got the pre-outs for the amps, then just get a good external amp and you'll see just how big a difference that can make.

G.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Steve,

There is a huge difference between the 1603 and the 1803/4. You don't neccessarily need to go to the 3803. I'd take a look at the 1804 or Onkyo 601.

-- B

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Todd, my comment was due to the fact that this thread had been posted in A/V Sources instead of Receivers/Amps. I moved it here to this section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks