What's new

Demo'ed NSP1II package at a NEW Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a brand new Best Buy last night and demo'ed this system. Point being, that since the store is new, not too many people have gone in there and screwed the connections totally up. It was hooked into their best Yamaha amp. I love the setup but I was concerned over the "chuffing" of the fronts during music playing. When I drove them pretty good, it really did kinda seem to get hung up on the bass. Classical music was flawless, basically this was when I was playing some rap with heavy bass. I assume this was because the receiver might not have been setup properly showing front speakers as "small" therefore sending too much bass to the mains. I was hoping to get some feedback from people with this system at home and our resident expert Phil.

Thanks

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
New or not, the folks setting them up are different as people can be.

If I worked there, the tone controls would be flat, no DSP added, etc. to keep the signal pure to allow good comparison, also taking into account the nature of the speakers.

So if looking at floorstanders and Sub / Sat's, I'd let the customer see the changes made to the setup as I changed the small / large / sub settings, etc.

Chances are the Yam had the bass and treb up too much, and the mains were firing large. Too much for a 4" woofer.

But I'll bet they sing when done properly.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I once monitored a dynamic 108 dB+ SPL Fast Peaks (RS Meter Dial = 110 / Weight = C / Speed = FAST) clearly (no compression or distortion - aprox. JUN 2000) during the beginning terrorist depot scenes in "Tomorrow Never Dies" - SE. My RS Meter was @ my 'sweet spot' - about 9' from my Center, 12' from my AudioSource SW15 sub located in the front right corner of my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/ family room! My brother was there, his eyes popping out, a big smile on his face, and since my wife was out shopping, ... we watched the entire movie @ that SPL level**, which was approx. -7 dB** below REF Level. The JBL NSP1 (original Mark 1) & SW15 sub provided 'better than Cinema Theater" SPL sounds clearly with better LFE impact and crystal clear highs. My brother finally bought a set last year and for a sub, he bought the SVS 25-31PCi.

**My usual once or twice Friday NITE DVD (w/family & friends over) SPL = 106 dB Fast SPL Peaks, or approx. -10 dB below REF Level, ... basically loud enough to hear the dialog tracks when the quieter moments of the movie comes on and when the encoded LFE calls for it, move the air, floor, couch and walls!!! :D

Phil

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Richard, I just picked up the NSP1 II, and I know the "chuffing" you speak of. On my Kenwood VR-6060, setting the speakers to "small", and turning on the "Music" EQ seems to help music quality quite a bit. I basically think I will have the problem completely licked once I get a good sub. I also plan on moving my front N24 IIs to the rear center channel and getting N26s for my main speakers, as J&R has them really cheap right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks