What's new

Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth: Official Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I don't know what Del Toro's opinions about it are. Anywhere I can read? I know you got to hear him speak (lucky devil).

I think the sad vs. happy ending DOES have a LOT to do with the birth/rebirth theme. As much with what the baby has to do with it as she has to do with it. (I'm trying to discuss the theme without spoiling) In this theme - you would focus on the the happy interpretation.

It also has a lot to do with the theme of growing up. The "Peter Pan" theme, if you will. In this theme, you would focus on the sad interpretation.

As for the theme of obedience vs. choice, here it is a little vague...but, she makes her choice and the ending is a direct result of that choice. I guess it's not relevant WHICH ending, because the choice is more important.

In The Fountain, Tommy's final revelation makes everything that came before irrelevant. It is just part of the journey. But, the end goes only one place as a direct result of that revelation.

Ofelia is different - her choice reveals two truths. Three, if you consider the future of the baby (symbolic, I think, of Spain itself).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Quentin,
I didn't get to hear GdT talk about that...I read it in an interview at CHUD. He favors what you would consider the "happy" ending :) I think happy and sad are both tragic and uplifting..common theme this year.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The symbolism of the baby is clear, but "he will never know..." doesn't wash (in my mind anyway) with the whole theme of not forgetting the violence of the past but learning from it...what will the baby (Spain's future) learn then?
"He will never.." might not have a thing to do with it other than a moment for the audience to feel some retribution for what had transpired before.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Good point, Kevin. If He (Spain) will never know his father is a fascist, how can he grow from it?

Maybe He will never know the proud, honorable fascist (that Vidal thinks of himself as)? Or, maybe you're right...

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Can someone comment on the amount/type of violence in the film? I'm not a fan of the current torture footage that passes for horror these days, and while I'm sure that's not what this is like, I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
You've got no worries, Dennis. They usually cut away before the heavy violence save for a couple kill shots.

It is very violent for what is, essentially, a partial fairy tale. We're just warning people away from taking children. This is an adult film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ah Ha! Mirror test...told Ya! ;) .....not that this kind of ending is anything new, nor are the reasons behind such endings.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Another great film in my top 5 from this year that deals with the theme of choice and the part it plays in the birth of a civilized nation is The Proposition.

It is also a very violent and adult film. But, it is friggin' masterful and haunting. If you liked Pan's, try The Proposition - you can rent it now.

MikeRS

Screenwriter

Yeah, I think that scene veered into to Irreversible/Gaspar Noé territory. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if "head smashed at the Rectum" was Guillermo's inspiration.

I don't consider the violence in this film gratuitous or excessive because it all seems part of the tapestry of the narrative. It informs character and evokes tone. It's part of why the close of the film leaves such an emotional wallop.

This is the only film in memory that completely evokes the brooding darkness (and coldness) I feel when reading the original Brothers Grimm tales.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh no, I don't think the violence is ever gratuitous as it has a definite purpose in the plot.....I would call it "Unflinching". This is the very harsh reality of the times that the mother was warning Ophilia about.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
As I think about it more, I easily realize how other people could take the more somber interpretation. The film even points it out to us in the first half hour, when Ofelia asks Mercedes "Do you believe in fairies?" I guess deep down I still believe in some kind of magic. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Makes me wonder if Del Toro is also trying to say something about the benefits and dangers of clinging on to one's inner child in such a dangerous world....it can aid you in some ways but it can also put you in danger.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
It's staggering how visually and symbolically dense this picture is. I think it's gonna take me at least 3 viewings to grasp it all.

Such an achievement for Del Toro.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
I sat engrossed throughout. It was better than Chronos and easily as good as The Devils Backbone.

I feel it was real. The mandrake effect.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Hey admins, any chance that this can become the official discussion thread so we can discuss points outside of spoilers? That would be awesome.

I just saw this today with some friends. I can't tell their reactions. It was neither positive or negative. Maybe thoughtful is a better word. It is definitely the mirror test response for the ending. As I am shaky in my view on life and spirituality meant that I was equally shaky with the ending...which is perfect. A match, if you will.

I disagree that the Captain was evil incarnate, though. Oh, he was evil but he had a lot of back story, most of it unspoken. I want to see it again to catch more of it but I love that they leave much of their pasts hidden but we see bits and pieces of it as the movie continues. How did he and his wife meet? As she said? Was it truly romantic? I doubt it. Was it forced? Possibly. Does the Captain have feelings about war and a soldier's role in it? How does he compare to his war hero father and his wife's war hero (I assume) husband? The watch, the razor, living in the mill's wheel room... the symbolism was thick. He was fascinating to watch, even as he showed how much of a monster he was.

I think the less developed character was Ofelia's mother. She didn't have a lot to do other than be ill as a woman with a troubled pregnancy but I wanted to know a bit more about her and her choices.

This was truly a great, haunting fable for our times. I look forward to reading more about del Toro's take on things. Thanks for the links!

Phil

EDIT: On a side note, this was a Sunday matinee performance that I watched and the medium sized big box theater was packed! Score one for subtitled adult fantasy movies. I half suspect that some there were expecting more of a "horror" movie in the traditional mold but I don't think many left disappointed from the mutterings I heard as people filed out.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Cool. Ok, here goes.......he was really dead the whole time!

*Oh*.....sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks