What's new

Pacific Rim (2013) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm super excited for this movie. Saw the trailer before Oblivion, and its just as exciting as it was last Winter. I think I'm looking forward to this more than Star Trek!My wife just rolls her eyes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New preview is out, running before Man of Steel. I say without irony that this is my most anticipated movie of the summer. I've not been into the big brainless smash-em up Michael Bay movies the past decade or two. But this looks fun. (I mean, really, ridiculously fun, what i hoped for from Matthew Broderick's Godzilla when i skipped a day of grad school just to watch it) And Guilermo del Toro can bring both heart and fun to this movies. Hellboy and Hellboy 2 aren't the greatest movies, but they were a good time.And so the new preview is surprising and intriguing, showing the story is also about the psychic damage or pathos involved in these people co-operating the giant robot suits. This summer is a good one for movies, so far. I'm hoping Pacific Rim is as enjoyable as it promises.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm absolutely counting on this film. Del Toro brings some incredible passion, energy, and artistry to his films, and this looks like it could really be a ton of fun. Interesting young cast (mostly TV talent), some great concepts, all filtered through his keen eye for beauty and beast.And we need it to be good and make money so Del Toro can get more studio support for whatever he wants to do next.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First time I saw mention of the movie, before knowing Guillermo was involved, was...

Battleship+Transformers+Real Steel=ZZzzzzZZZzzzZZZ

Hope I'm wrong.

BTW...Rinko is a fabulous actress. Norwegian Wood...anybody???

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chuck -yep 100%Sam, I know what you're saying but this movie feels different. Part of it is PR feels big. Transformers, among other problems didn't feel big to me. They move too fast, too nimbly. But in the preview, where the robot goes for the punch, and the rockets have to fire up, and the fist accelerates into motion? That.I will pay money for giant robots that move like giant robots.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaking of BIG...

Yeah, I saw in the trailer where one of them was dragging a tanker/cargo ship behind...to presumably swing it like a baseball bat.

Optimus could not pull that off.

Although that big monstrosity in the "quarry" that (literally) sucked*...I bet it could've.

*By the way, I did see that movie in theatres. I busted out laughing. Talk about an unintentional joke on your own movie. A transformer that sucked.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am in the same boat as a lot of you in this thread!!! I soooo can't wait to see this one. Big robots fighting big monsters. GDT behind the camera... I am like a kid at the front door of closed candy store waiting for it to open!!!!! Can't wait.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The trailer didn't do anything for me, it looked like an overdose of CGI, it looked like a videogame and not a movie, i love Del Toro's earlier film's and i mean all of them without exception but the trailer for this one left me cold, just how long can Hollywood get away with these big budget video game looking CGI fests before audiences start to rebel, maybe it's what the young audiences want, maybe i am getting too old now, i don't know, maybe it will be a lot better than the trailer suggests, i sure hope so.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was really looking forward to this, but the new trailers have kind of cooled me off. Not sure now. Will probably wait for some early reviews.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just saw the trailer for the first time. No I don't live under a rock :) Looks like a wet transformers movie. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
i want to see this too but i have a feeling its going to be a box-office disaster...hope im wrong.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ That's a shame only because, while it's clearly draws inspiration from other movies, I was hoping that something that's apparently so chuck full of carnage might be able to get moviegoers to watch something that wasn't an existing property. I guess to get the public to see a movie now, it has to be a sequel or a comic book adaptation.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Such conflicting reviews. The NY Post writer says,
the Jaegers make the Transformers look like ... well, children’s toys.
On the other hand, the NY Daily News writer says the movie is
As gripping as watching a Transformer toy battle in a bathtub with a rubber dinosaur.
So which is it? Sounds like it depends on how much meaning a robots vs. monsters battle has for the observer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks