What's new

Pacific Rim (2013)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Title: Pacific Rim

Tagline: To fight monsters, we created monsters.

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Cast: Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Max Martini, Clifton Collins Jr., Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman, Robert Kazinsky, Robert Maillet, Heather Doerksen, Larry Joe Campbell, Brad William Henke, Diego Klattenhoff, Santiago Segura, Jane Watson, Jung-Yul Kim, Joshua Peace, Mana Ashida, Joe Pingue, Milton Barnes, Brian Frank, Ellen McLain, David Fox, Jake Goodman, Robin Thomas, Julian Barnes, David Richmond-Peck, Sebastian Pigott, J.C. Kenny, Robert Morse, Mike Chute, Duncan McLeod, Louis Paquette, Matthew G. Taylor, Frank Nakashima, Terry Belleville, Farzad Sadrian, Mishu Vellani, Clive Walton, Peter Kosaka, Yiren Stark, Mark Luu, Charles Luu, Lance Luu, Willie Wong, Simu Liu, Victoria Sawal

Release: 2013-07-11

Runtime: 131

Plot: Using massive piloted robots to combat the alien threat, earth's survivors take the fight to the invading alien force lurking in the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless enemy, the forces of mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes who now stand as earth's final hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Wow! Just, wow! I am SO up for this flick it ain't even funny!

NEWS IN FILM: This week was heartbreaking for Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and his loyal following. After months of pre-production development, the director has reluctantly walked away from the Universal picture At the Mountains of Madness, a passion project for del Toro that dates back to at least 1993 when the fantasy enthusiast began sketching his take on the beloved H.P. Lovecraft novella.

Despite having James Cameron on board as a producer and Tom Cruise lined up to star, studio executives were unwilling to budge on the strict PG-13 rating requirement. Del Toro firmly believed in an “R” to properly unravel the intense narrative. Unfortunately, the two sides were unable to come to an agreement. Hopefully, the creative team can reposition the horror film at another studio, but, for now, Guillermo del Toro’s adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness is dead.

In the wake of the collapsed project, Guillermo del Toro announced his next film will be Pacific Rim, a PG-13 movie aiming for a 2013 release set up at Legendary Pictures and written by top-notch screenwriter Travis Beacham. Del Toro has flirted with a Beacham script before, namely The Killing on Carnival Row, one of my all-time favorite screenplays about a murder mystery in the chimerical world of faeries, vampires, dwarves, werewolves, seal-people, and other oddities.

However, not much is known about Pacific Rim yet, other than it’s about giant monsters and will allow del Toro to create a “new world” of beastly creatures. That’s only halfway accurate. This project will give the Hellboy filmmaker the opportunity to create two worlds.

The first is an alternate version of Earth in the near future, decades after a historic date in November 2012 when the first kaiju, a towering Godzilla-like beast, emerged from a hole in the Pacific Ocean and attacked the city of Osaka, Japan. The second is “The Anteverse,” another universe on the other side of that gaping portal, 5 miles below our ocean’s surface.

Since the first attack, the rim has been “spitting out” a variety of gigantic monsters at an increasing rate, which then stride out of the ocean and begin destroying sea-bordering cities, like Tokyo and Los Angeles. In order to combat these monstrous, otherworldly menaces, the military developed the “Jaeger” program, which trains teams of two pilots to jointly operate massive, building-sized mechanized suits of armor and high-tech weaponry.

Within the first act alone, we are given enough detailed background on the god-like Jaeger systems, its shared neural piloting system (called “pons”), and the relentless beasts. But Beacham is an absolute master at immediately establishing characters and their conflicts.

The central character is Raleigh Antrobus, 23, a skilled Jaeger pilot still wrestling emotionally with the loss of his co-pilot and biological brother, Yance, during a mission a year earlier. The ordeal has wreaked havoc on his mind spirit, leaving him with ghostly nightmares of the battle from the shared “pons” experience. After the initial setup, the damaged hero is recruited to re-join the task force in Tokyo, where pilots are in demand, and team with a fellow “leftover,” 22-year-old female Japanese pilot Mako Mori. Naturally, the language barrier (among other things) presents an issue for the out-of-sync duo, meaning an even steeper learning curve for the unprecedented pairing.

Meanwhile, Felicity “Flick” Kincaid, a journalist and Yance’s former fiancée, circles the globe (ours) to discover answers about this mysterious rift and the origins of its intensifying threat.

Without ruining any more surprises (past the first act), there are several different species of towering kaiju, each with their own unique characteristics, and the clashes between monster and machine are epic in scale. Beacham has even developed his own glossary and lingo for his characters, a blend of scientific and military jargon used to describe the elements of this fully fleshed out reality, much like the shorthand in Cameron’s Avatar or the developing mecha-warrior versus aliens movie All You Need is Kill.
The concept and Beacham’s script are unbelievable. With the right budget and creative control, this could very well be Guillermo del Toro’s Jurassic Park, a visual marvel with a pseudo-science backbone and massive, kaiju-sized appeal. Hell yes. Bring it on.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Del Toro thinks this is the right time to make a movie about death and destruction in Japan?

How much you want to bet this is yet another Del Toro aborted project, or will either be delayed or re-written?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Jesus fuckin' Christ that was killer!!! And then the summer after we get GODZILLA!!!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I realize trailers are there to pull in the widest possible audience, but this made it seem like a generic monster movie. I know we'll get better from Del Toro. Also, I'm really not thrilled by another movie in which humans wear CG armor.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
You guys know who the computer is, right?
/rubshandswithglee
/ohboyisthisgreaaaaat!!!!!
It sounded like the voice from Portal.
Movie looks incredible. Can't wait to see it.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Haha! Holy moly! Giant Robots, giant aliens and GLaDOS! I am soooooooo going to go see this.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Guess I'm in the minority because the only thing I found interesting was the voice from Portal but, using it in this movie is an insult to those games IMO. I love Del Torro but either the marketing department screwed up or he just miss fired here but, that looked about as good as Battleship (which ain't saying much). Djawadi is doing the score so, that's one thing I know is going to suck. The trailer just didn't work for me and I'm hoping it was the fault of the marketing department (was looking forward to this but, not now).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jim_C said:
It sounded like the voice from Portal.
Movie looks incredible. Can't wait to see it.
Sam Posten said:
You guys know who the computer is, right?
/rubshandswithglee
/ohboyisthisgreaaaaat!!!!!
No, what's portal and who is the voice.
Anyway just apsaw the preview and it looks like a to of fun.
Love these kind of movies.
And what's up with that poll only having one vote.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Come see (MOVIE'S TITLE NAME HERE) at your local theater in (SUBJECT'S HOME TOWN HERE)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
So some lucky bastards got to see a test screening last night. Apparently, it's a geek approved. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60726

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I just saw the trailer and all I thought was "The Big O" anime except without the population amnesia, especially when the rockets kicked in to power the arm swing. I wonder if royalties were paid.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks