What's new

deinterlacer (1 Viewer)

mike_p_t

Agent
I have a Sony Dream System DAVC700 It is one of the older ones so it is not progressive scan. I have a Hitachi 53UWX10BA projection. It has a deinterlacer built in. I have read that if your TV has a built in deinterlacer, you don't need a progressive scan dvd player. I have also read that this is not true. Would I experience better picture qualtiy with a progressive scan?

If a progressive would give me better quality, I plan on using my current player as the receiver. It has a DTS decoder, Dolby Digital 5.1, Prologic, and Dolby Surround. It also has optical and coax in jacks. So if I get a progressive dvd player, it must have one of these. Does that dvd player have to the DTS, Dolby Digital etc. decoder out built in?

Can anyone recomend a pretty decent cheap progressive scan dvd player?

Thanks,
Mike

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike. Welcome to HTF! :)

You dont need a progressive scan DVD player if you have a HDTV.

But if you feed INTERLACE signals to that TV, it will:

- Have to digitize all the odd lines & even lines
- re-assemble them in progressive order
- try to fill in between the lines to up-convert to 720p or 1080
- convert them back to analog for display

You might notice little artifacts in the display caused by the TV trying to do all of this.

A progressive scan DVD player will reduce the need to buffer/re-interlace resulting in fewer artifacts.

A few years ago, you HAD to have a PS DVD player because the built-in line-doublers were so bad. They have gotten much better in the last few years so it's not as necessary.

Your next DVD player should be a progressive scan, but I would not buy a new player just for this if your TV is current generation.

For recommendations on specific models, go to the "Audio/Video Sources" fourm and you will find lots of "What DVD player should I get" postings. Read back a week or two before posting a repeat thread.

Enjoy your stay.

mike_p_t

Agent
Thanks for the info!
It's a pleasure to be here...

b.t.w., what do you mean by "current generation"?

Thanks again,
Mike

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
TVs pretty much come out with updated models every year, so if your TV is a 2002 or 2003 model, it probably has a good line doubler and you can just wait until new, better progressive scan DVD players (or ones with more features) come out, or until prices fall further.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks