What's new

Definitive Technology (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I did a search and could not find any info Definitive Technology speakers.

These came highly recommended to me and we demoed several pairs yesterday, pretty impressed for the price and the built in subs sounded decent.

Any pitfalls or things to watch out for? We heard the 2004's but might move upto the 2002's.

We checked out those 2 floor standings and their in walls with seperate subs...tough choice, the floor standings filled the room more but the inwalls had a sharper clearer sound but didn't create as big of a sound stage.

Thanks

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Eric, I listened to some DefTech's yesterday as well. The towers (not sure which :frowning: ) did a very nice job putting a jazz trio in the room with us, bass, keyboard, drums/cymbals all quite nicely reproduced. They seemed a bit brighter than B&W 603s, but I don't trust my ear yet, as I've just started doing comparative listening - others may have a different more valid opinion! One salesman said the DefTechs were "just out of college speakers" (refering to their bookshelves), but I suspect I was being steered to something else.

The only "things to watch out for" would be:
1) the bi-polar approach to speakers is different than most other direct radiating models. Again, being new to this, I'm not too conversant in the pros/cons. This is probably what you heard "filling the room" vs. "sharp/clear".
2) the powered subs in each speaker would require that the speakers be placed where they can be plugged in - only an issue if it's an issue ;) . I'm wondering about the added cost/benefit to having the subs built-in vs. a seperate sub. I guess you "pay" for the sub either way.

Are you listening to mostly music or movies? This could ultimately make a difference.

Oh, one other thing. I was listening to these being driven by a high end seperate system (Rotel?). Your amp/receiver might make a difference as well.

Good luck!

Brian^E

Grip
I have a fully Definitive setup with BP-10 fronts, a CLR 1000B center, and a Prosub 200 sub. I absolutely love them and get comments from other home stereo owners on how good they sound...just waiting to pick out the rears to match!

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
ALso try searching with the phrase "Def Tech" lots of people abbreviate them like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks