What's new

Defibrillators -what's the buzz ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Over the past few years, defibrillator's seem popular in non-medical settings. Now a marina/club of which I am a member just purchased one, yet we only have 700 members and no one can recall a heart-related emergency.

"Classes" will be offered in their use, but is it wise to allow non-medical folks the ability to jolt someone's heart, or are they no-risk due to automation ? Are these low-cost units credited with saving many lives ?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Kirk,

These devicess are the best invention since crunchy peanut butter. They're safe, effective, and virtually idiot-proof. They do not administer a jolt unless the machine detects a "shockable" arrythmia.

The fact that no one recalls a cardiac event in a member means nothing.

Sounds like you belong to a club I'd want to be a member of.

Jon

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

From what I've heard, when you try to use the machine on someone, it "senses" whether or not it should "jolt them". So it's not possible for them to be misused.

EDIT: I was Jon answered while I was typing. :D

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I've been trained in CPR, workplace first-aid, and CERT. Basically, these machines are autonomous. You pull it off the wall, open it up, and see two paddles with pictures of where to place them on somebody's chest. You place the paddles (they are actually like bandages with electrodes), push the one button on the machine, and it talks you through the rest. Really it just tells you when it is going to administer the shock and warns you when not to touch them (taking pulse, checking breathing, etc.) The only thing it doesn't do for you is call 911.

You are seeing these pop up more and more lately as the machines are getting much cheaper. You can get them for $1000-2000 now, and many insurance companies will give a business a nice discount if it has one on-site. For many businesses $1k isn't a large outlay for protection against a lawsuit and monthly lower insurance rates.

We used them in class, it makes CPR a hell of a lot less complicated.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Our company has a bunch by the exit doors.. The only reason I'm sure is because it is probably a bit cheaper to try to revive us if one of us keels over than it is to find another software engineer with security clearance these days. I'm sure that is the only reason too. God forbid they spend money to keep us happy, like say a holiday bonus. :angry:

Jay

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Time is muscle. If someone needs a shock, the first 5 minutes are crucial. It is an idiot proof device (as much as any machine can be) anyone could use. That is why they are in many public places, like a mall. It can save your life while EMS is on the way.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks folks - appreciate it !

And... here's hoping I never have to use it, though I'll attend a "training" class next week. (after which I'll eat a fried grouper sandwich w/fries and be a key target for it's initial jolt !)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks