Defiance Season 2 (SyFy) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Premiered tonight.

Not a bad premiere for a show SyFy gambled heavily on. Thank goodness for the DVR or I might have missed it. I do like the characters, I'm hoping we move more to flesh out some of the story.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Looks like they were able to increase the budget a bit...Visuals of Chicago and LA.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm glad it's back. I enjoyed the first season and I'm looking forward to this one. I thought this first episode was quite good.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Enjoyed the second episode. I really like what they are doing with some of the characters here as far as fleshing out their reason for being.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Kind of unexpectedly brutal episode. There was a moment in there though that reminded me a lot of Archer.. challenging a DJ in the tower where she seems to get off on the idea of him being a murderer, and he threatens her by saying 'I'll throw you off the arch' and she seems to be going into that mode that can best be described by Charlene on Archer "SPLOOOSH".. I was laughing when that happened.
That said, this is a better season 2 where we are actually putting together some rougher storylines.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The unexpected goodness of The 100 delayed the start of Defiance for me.The premiere was solid. Stama is becoming the star of the show. She is a brilliant character. And Defiance continues with it's adult aspects, the sexual interactions of Datak Tarr -- which to my continual surprise add to the show's reality, and aren't trashy attention-grbabbers. I was surprised the recap didn't reference at all the death of Kenya. (It was mentioned in the brief scene between Stama and Amanda.) That was one of the best scenes last season. I'm sure she's dead, but I hope there are consequences. I wanted more from Nolan finding Irisa. It was anti-climatic. But her visions, including ruthlessly killing Nolan hint at more to come.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Episodes 2 & 3. Wow. Father's home. And he and his wife and son had a lovely bath. Irisa is killing people. And they are resurrected. And they become resurrection monsters themself. WTF?A flashback. I missed some words, but it was important and I think helps some bits from S1.So far, roaring start. I've got more eps in my backlog.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And Episode 5 (if I've been counting correctly) was a superb "what's real?" episode. I haven't seen one of these in ages; perhaps since BSG. And this felt really sharp, with the unsettling use of near-subliminal images to start clueing us in that all was not as it seemed. The wrap-up was confusing but I think I got: the ego implant was put in by the Mayor and Doctor, while Amanda was in an Adreno high. Fragments propagated and self-implanted in the Mayor and Doctor, causing them similar reactions.

And all of this leaves Amanda cleaved from the two men she has some trust and affection for. Nolan, for whom her hallucinations were so damaging, and yet carried pieces of her self-perceived truth, that she holds it against him. And the Mayor, who Nolan has insinuated implanted this ego device into her (which he did, but she doesn't know that).

Datak Tarr tries to find forgiveness. And seeks yet again to run the town's politics.

I'm loving this season. It picked up where S1 left off in character maturity and story-telling prowess, and is taking it further. It has dialed down on the wild scifi mythos, legends, conspiracies and is putting more effort into the character dramas. This is some great stuff.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
After a rocky first season, this show has become a really good must watch. More specifically, the Tarrs have become a really good must watch. The rest of the show is only slightly better than the sloggy dreck that was season one. But Datak and Stahma are killing it. I even like Alak.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It would be cool to have an episode that shows what the world (outside of Defiance) looks like. I know we have seen Chicago and Los Angeles. But, are their any parts of the world that are not completely changed? Also, who controls what parts of the world?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Show was jumping the shark with Walter Peck (William Atherton) in drag singing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Finished the season. This has been a good, at times great, season. The two hour finale was fantastic, and the best scifi I've seen since last year's Defiance conclusion. Very much hoping for a third season.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
todd s said:
Yee-Haw!!
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.