What's new

Defective Disc in Large Box Set (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
How does one go about exchanging a damaged/defective disc from a large box set that was purchased a year ago. I recently watched one of the later episodes from the I Love Lucy box set which I purchased a year ago and the disc is defective. Obviously it's too late to return the box to the retailer, but I am wondering is there is any way the studio (Paramount) has a department that can be contacted for a replacement. Does anyone know how to go about getting a replacement at this point?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jon,

Did you order the boxed set from Amazon.com? I've had good luck with them when I return items even long after the deadline has passed. If you didn't purchase it from Amazon.com I don't know what can be done.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
[email protected]

Ask for L'John.

I hope you'll post how it went. I'm waiting for a reply for my request to have about 5 DVDs from my Brady Bunch set replaced. That stupid shag set put glue and scratches all over mine. they already replaced the first DVD, that wouldn't even start. :frowning:

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I've aways been concerned about this very subject; not necessarily because of a fault in a large box set but what to do if you find a fault in a normal box set.

In particular, this is an issue because being in the UK, I get most of my sets from DVD Pacific and sometimes don't watch them for over a year or more.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way for overseas customers to do this especially as it is expensive to post things back.

Fortunately I haven't had too may failures but some examples are:

Babylon 5 Season 3 - one disc would not play. I ended up buying the set again as it was on sale cheaply.

I Spy Season 3 - The disc shattered when I got it out of the case. It was really stuck and I tried everything to get it out. Again, I bought it again as it was fortunately cheaper than posting it back to the US.

CHiPs Season 2 - One disc would not play at all; I took the cheaper and lazier option here and downloaded the 4 episodes on the disc that wouldn't work. Not ideal and the quality would not be so good but at least I have the episodes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I noticed this as well with this series. I turned the discs counter-clockwise as I attempted to remove them, and it worked fine. But your points are well taken. I rarely watch an entire series (probably never, now that I think of it) in the time alloted for returns (usually one month at maximum) in the event of a defective disc(s).

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I ordered the set from Deep Discount.

I will try and contact L'John (how do you pronounce that??) from Paramount and see if I could get a replacement. Otherwise I may just have to purchase a copy of I Love Lucy Season 4 off eBay just for the one disc.

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator

I think the studios should have a legitimate way of easily getting just one disc from a set which may have failed for various reasons.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm in total agreement. Sometimes it takes me years to get through a whole series. I've got seven seasons of Cheers on my shelf, and have yet to watch one of them. It was a favorite show at the time and I know that someday I will want to return to it. It also seems like an incredible waste of money to replace a whole set just for 1 or 2 bad discs.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, I'm going to have to do that for Gilligan's Island (well, a couple of DVDs) since Warner Brothers never got back to me. :frowning:

Probably Luh John. I only conversed with him through email.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks