Defective Disc in Large Box Set

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jon Baker, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

How does one go about exchanging a damaged/defective disc from a large box set that was purchased a year ago. I recently watched one of the later episodes from the I Love Lucy box set which I purchased a year ago and the disc is defective. Obviously it's too late to return the box to the retailer, but I am wondering is there is any way the studio (Paramount) has a department that can be contacted for a replacement. Does anyone know how to go about getting a replacement at this point?

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Jon,

Did you order the boxed set from Amazon.com? I've had good luck with them when I return items even long after the deadline has passed. If you didn't purchase it from Amazon.com, I don't know what can be done.

3. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    PHE_CustomerService@Paramount.com

Ask for L'John.

I hope you'll post how it went. I'm waiting for a reply for my request to have about 5 DVDs from my Brady Bunch set replaced. That stupid shag set put glue and scratches all over mine. they already replaced the first DVD, that wouldn't even start. [​IMG]

4. Glenn Curtis

Glenn Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I've aways been concerned about this very subject; not necessarily because of a fault in a large box set but what to do if you find a fault in a normal box set.

In particular, this is an issue because being in the UK, I get most of my sets from DVD Pacific and sometimes don't watch them for over a year or more.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way for overseas customers to do this especially as it is expensive to post things back.

Fortunately I haven't had too may failures but some examples are:

Babylon 5 Season 3 - one disc would not play. I ended up buying the set again as it was on sale cheaply.

I Spy Season 3 - The disc shattered when I got it out of the case. It was really stuck and I tried everything to get it out. Again, I bought it again as it was fortunately cheaper than posting it back to the US.

CHiPs Season 2 - One disc would not play at all; I took the cheaper and lazier option here and downloaded the 4 episodes on the disc that wouldn't work. Not ideal and the quality would not be so good but at least I have the episodes.

5. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I noticed this as well with this series. I turned the discs counter-clockwise as I attempted to remove them, and it worked fine. But your points are well taken. I rarely watch an entire series (probably never, now that I think of it) in the time alloted for returns (usually one month at maximum) in the event of a defective disc(s).

6. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the set from Deep Discount.

I will try and contact L'John (how do you pronounce that??) from Paramount and see if I could get a replacement. Otherwise I may just have to purchase a copy of I Love Lucy Season 4 off eBay just for the one disc.

7. Glenn Curtis

Glenn Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I think the studios should have a legitimate way of easily getting just one disc from a set which may have failed for various reasons.

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I'm in total agreement. Sometimes it takes me years to get through a whole series. I've got seven seasons of Cheers on my shelf, and have yet to watch one of them. It was a favorite show at the time and I know that someday I will want to return to it. It also seems like an incredible waste of money to replace a whole set just for 1 or 2 bad discs.

9. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Yeah, I'm going to have to do that for Gilligan's Island (well, a couple of DVDs) since Warner Brothers never got back to me. [​IMG]

Probably Luh John. I only conversed with him through email.

Good luck!