What's new

Def. Tech's vs. Paradigms? (1 Viewer)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any reviews comparing any Definitive Technologies speakers with Paradigms? I'm trying to get an idea of the BP8's Vs. the Monitor Series.

Murdock

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I think if you mostly are going to use these for movies then I would pick the Def Techs. I have never listened to Paradigms but a they get good reviews. I have a pair of Def Techs with the built-in subs and feel for movies nothing beats them but I dont listen to much music at all. If music is your thing I would audition the Paradims first and then compare them to the Def Techs. If you can find a place that carrys both try to do a side by side comparison.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
No one around here carries both. Paradigms are only available at one store within about 200 miles.

On another note, I do watch mostly Movies, but want them to be music Capable as well. I'll be mating them up with a SVS PB2-Plus so, I'll be getting the Def Techs with the unpowered subs if I do that.

Murdock

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I love DefTechs for movies, but Paradigm are also outstanding speakers.

Here is my advice:

- Look at how you can place speakers in your room. The DefTechs will shine if you can pull them into the room about ... 3 feet. This allows the bipolar nature of the speakers to work it's magic. If you can tollerate this placement, go for the DefTechs.

- If you have to position your speakers 1-2 feet from a rear wall, give the Paradigm speakers the nod. They wont be 'crippled' as much by this placement.

You have a "Coke vs Pepsi" decision with these two. I will perfer one, someone else will perfer the other and both of us will be right. It's a matter of taste and we cannot tell you which will taste better to you.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
If you have to position your speakers 1-2 feet from a rear wall, give the Paradigm speakers the nod. They wont be 'crippled' as much by this placement.
While I agree with Bob that the Def Techs really shine about 3-4 feet from the rear wall, I would not let a closer placement knock them from consideration. Sure you will not get the full bi-polar effect, but by no means will they be significantly "crippled". Also, while it is true that Def Techs really shine for movie use, they are not nearly as musically challenged as many would have you believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks