What's new

DeepDiscount 20% off sale Spring 2008 (1 Viewer)

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, some of those B2G1 free sales really rock, especially with the A&E labeled stuff that can be so expensive even at 20% off.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
A rep from Deep Discount posted at DVD Talk today. The code: DVDTALK is now active. He said the other codes may not be live yet.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The Deep Discount sale is currently working. I used the code USATODAY and got my 20% off.

I bought the following with the sale prices noted:

Patton Blu-Ray $22.28
The Assassination of Jesse James etc. HD DVD $14.75
3:10 to Yuma Blu-ray $18.26
Butch Cassidy Blu-ray $22.28
Full Metal Jacket HD DVD $12.58
Blood Diamond HD DVD $12.58
Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Six $22.39
Syriana HD DVD $13.06

All of the sale prices on the titles I ordered are lower than Amazon's prices.

As usual, pre-orders do not qualify, so I'm going back next week to order The Fugitive, Season 2 Vol. 1.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Problem is - this 20% off sale is usualy a scam. They boost the cost of the DVDs just prior to it going live. Like the Godzilla Collection cost $43.89 a while ago - and now that the sale's been announced the set costs $53.66!

Oh sure the 20% off makes it $42.93 so that saves you less than a buck - but that's not exactly the kind of savings that makes it worth your while to go ape and spend the ton of cash you wouldn't normally spend if there wasn't a sale going on.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Infinity's sister site, DVD Planet, has also started their 20% off sale.

Code: 20offsale

Not sure of the end date on their sale.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Calling it a "scam" is a bit strong and more than a bit unfair.

In the case of the Godzilla collection, they had it marked down to almost 50% off MSRP when they were selling it for $43.89. If they took another 20% off that price, they'd be selling it for about $35, and undoubtedly selling it a loss. Do you really expect them to sell it at a loss?

Of the titles I purchased, all were the same price today as they were before the 20% off sale started. The story that they jack up all their prices before the sale is a myth. They do raise the prices on some titles which have been on sale, because they have to do that in order to avoid selling items at below cost or at virtually no profit. For example, last week they were selling the Criterion DVD of SALO for $20, which was 50% off MSRP. Today the price is back to $26, otherwise they would be selling it for $16.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I would strongly suggest price comparing with DVD Planet before placing any orders. I ended up shifting quite a few titles over to them as they were a buck or two cheaper...and vice versa.
All the 6/3 Paramount/Legend releases, for example, are cheaper at Planet.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I yearn for the days were I went crazy for the 20 percent off sale... But I can't afford it anymore and will probably not end up getting anything more than a super cheap Blu-Ray or wrestling DVD. ;(

ry

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
On the order I placed today, prices were comparable (or within ~$1 of each other) on most of the titles between Planet/DD. I went with Planet for those since I get frequent buyer points there. There were four titles, though, that were a couple dollars cheaper at DD ($5 cheaper in one instance), so I ordered those there.

Still have to trim stuff from my wishlist for the remainder of the sale.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, time to queue all the bi-annual bitching about almost completely fictional DD "Scams" and how they don't ship quite as fast as Amazon, etc, etc.

I have looked MANY times and never found a single title that went up, though I don't doubt there are a handful which do. I have an enormous wish list on DD and the prices rarely change.

The one area they aren't much to get excited about anymore is Criterion. Fortunately, DVD Planet likes to do simultaneous 20% off sales and they have excellent Criterion prices.

EDIT: after posting this, I checked the DD Criterion prices again and they have come down. They are almost the same as DVD Planet.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

You're correct, it always pays to compare. When I placed my order I wasn't aware that DVD Planet had started their sale, but I did compare each title with Amazon. Even before factoring in the NYS sales tax I would now have to pay to Amazon, DD's 20% off prices were lower than Amazon's prices.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't think the shipping affects the discount.

Blu-Ray prices are still mediocre even with the discount, but there are some decent deals to be had on HD-DVDs.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Right. I have actually found Deep Discount items ship FASTER during the sale, probably because they staff up in anticipation for the demand. (Or perhaps because postal workers have to take crystal meth to keep up! - sort of like the turtle in Bye Bye Birdie)

Codes I've successfully used so far:

USATODAY
PRICESEARCH
HTF01

And these scam claims are ignorant whining. I just picked up a 15-hour BBC documentary on popular music called All You Need Is Love that retails for $99 for $49. You'll never find that less anywhere else except used.

The Invaders season 1 box set ... for $21.44. Good luck beating that anywhere new, including 40% off (retail) at Borders.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I´ve been taken more easy with my BD orders, but this month will be different. ;)

Just picked up:
-The Orphanage [Blu-ray Disc]
-Bonnie and Clyde [Blu-ray Disc]
-Michael Clayton [Blu-ray Disc]
-The Golden Compass [Blu-ray Disc]

Original: 110$. With 20% off = 88$ (+shipping for me, since I live in Europe).

Not cheap by any means (all titles around 2$ cheaper in Amazon), but at least that "excuse" to order some movies.. ;)

HTF01 worked nicely, thanks.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm debating about the Mission Impossible box set (on Blu-ray). Anyone has a clue whether Paramount will revisit this set in the forseeable future w/ lossless audio (and maybe better PQ)? I might also go for Flags of Our Father BD -- I doubt that one will get revisited w/ lossless audio for a very long time, if ever.

Of the rest I'd likely buy, seems like DVD Planet has the better selection pricewise for me -- though not by a whole lot in most cases. Does HTF have a portal (and 20% off coupon) to DVD Planet?

Thanks.

_Man_

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Can you go back to the well more than once with this sale. Can you use different codes? The only thing i know, is they dont count pre-orders. I want to make the most of my 20%, cheap bastard that i am! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks