What's new

Deep Space Nine: For the Fans (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
JonZ wrote (post #15):
DS 9 said:
They haven't just not figured it out, they don't care. Their market research no doubt tells them that, to reach the largest audience (on large or small screen), they have to follow the dictates of their "new formula". In Nemesis they tried to combine the new militaristic paradigm, introduced by Mr. Bennett, with what they considered a knowing fan's type of script to please the hardcore "fanboy" types. It still flopped. Their only recourse after that seems to be to relive---which is to say, rehash---the original series on the big screen.
On the small screen they haven't a clue, as far as I can see.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I've been going back and watching the series in order.
To be honest, I was surprised at how solid season 1 is. But Season 2 is definitely a stand out. There are numerous episodes in season two, including the opening three episodes, that really set the tone for DS9.
It openly addresses federation concerns. It gives meaning and provides depth to numerous characters like Wynn. The Marquis come across as having real motivation and you come to understand them. I'm almost through Season 4. Season 2 is thus far my favorite season. But seasons 1,3 and four are all very good, and sometimes great. I'm really enjoying going back and revisiting the series.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just finished. Watched all 7 seasons. I skipped only couple of the worst episodes, but otherwise watched it all the way through. Usually did 4 or 5 a night, the occassional episode at work and a couple weekends of prob about 30 hours of DS9 :D
I thnk I enjoyed Season2 less than 1, 3 or 4. There were some GREAT episodes but IMHO less than those other seasons.
I have a new appreciation for Armin Shimerman. Quark was always someone I didnt like or dislike either way really, but revisiting these - he was brilliant playing that character.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm part way into Season 5. Some of the eps really get me, I just finished "Paradise Lost" which at the time I thought was ridiculous, but seeing it now I think about it a lot differently.
And Quark is an excellent character.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It's pretty simple, those who love well written complex characters prefer DS9. Those who love one dimensional characters prefer Voyager.

DS9 was not simple enough for your average viewer. It required attention (like B5 and the new Galactica) because there were story arcs and characters that evolved over a long period of time. Characters on DS9 were definitely not the same after 7 years. On pretty much every other Trek show characters were almost exactly the same as when they started with the exception of the "I want to become more human" characters like Data, the EMH and Seven of Nine.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hell, now y'all are making me want to re-watch all these.
I LOVED the last few seasons but really wasn't into the show the first couple of years, had that TNG-like awkward baby steps syndrome.
A couple of years in the characters were all gelling and by the end it was riveting.
Guess I'll start with s1, disc 1. (must netflix)
:)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, it did get me curious so I've been netflixing them.
On disc 3 of S1. Very bumpy and unsure but starting to gel. Still fun to see all these familiar characters that I uesd to regularly watch.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
By the end of season 1, the show gets really good, and that continues into season 2 and beyond. Staying with the show has its rewards, and goes to heights you can't imagine when you're in season 1.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I really think for consistency, S2 is maybe my favorite. I've just finished the series again. But after S2, almost every episode is rewatchable (with a few misses) and, when not dead on story wise, at least "fun". I love the way they take episodes that seem as though they stand alone (Beyond the Stars) and later roped them in to the arc of the series.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hiya Sam!
I did watch regularly but only once. Never on DVD and never in syndication.
So far there have been a few amusing eps. but I'd say they bat 50/50 in the first 1/2 of S1.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I always said that about TNG, that onyl 1/2 of the seasons were actually good. DS9, I think that ratio was higher. there were certainly some stinkers, but I think th show was more consistant, with the "fun" shows generally being MUCH better than TNGs.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The "Fun" side episodes in DS9 had a big benefit of meaning something about character development. Hell, having seen S6 again, while the "You are cordially invited.." was a "fun" episode about a wedding experience, it changed characters. I mean, in most other trek shows the characters were all stand alone.
Some of the Ferengi episodes were "fun" but they had meaning for those characters, and the ferengi went from being a weird stereotype in TNG to a pretty well flushed out culture.
That's what I really loved about DS9.. every species had a culture, a way of life, and you dealt with it.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Speaking of fun moments, I loved finding out what the Klingon divorce ritual entailed (the one with Quark). It seemed so perfectly and characteristically Klingon that I was literally laughing out loud when I first saw it.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm exactly 1/2 way through.
Very hit and miss. No great eps, some good ones but my hell, that ferengi epsiode where Quark supposedly became the Ferengi's version of the "Grand poobah" was about the worst hour of TV I've ever sat through. Just horrifically bad even though I love Principal Snyder, errr... Quark.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, "The Nagus" episode was the first of the comic relief Ferengi episodes, and it's not the best of them. The story of the Nagus and the Ferengi will continue through the 7th season and it will get interesting (IMO). Of course, it doesn't have the dramatic impact of the Federation, Bajor, or Cardassian storylines, but it's intended as an alternative to those. Wallace Shawn is great as the Nagus, and in later installments, you'll meet Quark and Rom's mother, who's a character in her own right.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea Nagus is the worst of the bunch(but its far from terrible IMHO).

They get better.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the third season now. I crack up when Wallace Shawn says anything in this show so I like all those episodes.

The one episode I skipped was Melora because the whole episode annoys me. A self-righteous b***h who refuses to work as a team with anyone should not have gotten through Starfleet Academy, imo. Although they passed Bashir despite his complete lack of any zero-g training so I guess the academies standards aren't as high as TNG led me to believe.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought Nagus was terrible. Just bad writing and bad scenery chewing.
But I know the show gets ALOT better. disc 4 came today.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Chris Roberts said:
The one episode I skipped was Melora because the whole episode annoys me. A self-righteous b***h who refuses to work as a team with anyone should not have gotten through Starfleet Academy, imo. Although they passed Bashir despite his complete lack of any zero-g training so I guess the academies standards aren't as high as TNG led me to believe.
I think you should watch it again. Melora was always having to fight for independence and not be regarded as handicapped, which she technically wasn't, but was treated that way because of the zero gravity world she came from which forced her into a wheelchair and body brace. I don't know where your getting the idea of her being arrogant because of the reason you stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks