What's new

Deep Discount sale is ON! (Spring 2008) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Don't believe it, James. For one, I used it. And MANY others reported using it, too.

I don't know why they would have pulled the stunt they did last time out...but I would bet it costs them some sales from loyal HTFers. It just doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, you've been luckier than I've been. I've had items ordered from Deep Discount that have never arrived even though I received a message saying that they have shipped. I've also had items that have arrived looking as if the mail truck drove over them. Then again, I've had many items arrive with no problems.

Of course I also have the problem that the USPS sometimes delivers our mail to other addresses in the neighborhood and even to an address across town which has the same street number (but a different street name and which is in a different zipcode).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I used it too.

I think DD could be in some financial trouble and they just said "No one used the coupon code" as an attempt at saving face so they could start cutting back on their advertising budget. The expansion to other areas (like books, etc) must have been quite expensive for them and when you look at all the DVD sites that are closing, I don't think it's too hard to imagine them being in some financial trouble too. Not to mention that the 20% off sale is supposed to attract new customers but how many people only order from them during the sale?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I have never used Deep Discount DVD's mainly because of all of the complaints I've heard about their service and it's not from shipping times or shipping costs. Mainly DDD ripping off consumers by not sending them their merchandise they ordered plus horrible customer service.

But remember, blame the retailer for sending your order out within a few days of the time it was received, not a week later ... remember, don't blame the courier, blame the sender.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Personally, I've never had a problem with DD. Actually, I've probably bought more from them this year than ever before, due to all the BOGOF sales this year. Though I can't imagine that those are beneficial to their bottom line.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I've been ordering from DDD for more than a decade, and I almost always choose free shipping, so I would say that I have a fair amount of experience with Media Mail.

Ordering from DDD is three-step process. First you place the order. Then you receive an e-mail acknowledging the order. Then you receive an e-mail which notifies you that the order has been shipped.

My last order from DDD was for Touch of Evil. I placed the order (with free shipping) on 10/5 and then I received an e-mail which says that it was shipped on 10/7. I placed the order on Sunday and it was shipped on Tuesday. Would it have been shipped on Monday if I had chosen to pay for shipping? I don't know. We'll see how long it takes to get here.

My original point was that once the order is shipped via Media Mail, the shipper has no control over how long it takes to be delivered. The vast majority of my DDD orders over the years have arrived within 5-10 business days of the shipment e-mail. Occasionally an order has taken longer to arrive, but only once has an order never arrived. In that case, DDD provided a replacement.

As someone else pointed out, the USPS has been known to deliver items to the wrong address and has been known to damage a package from time to time. However, as noted DDD will replace items which never arrive and will replace items which are damaged during shipment.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Ooooh. I had no idea they also own DVD Planet. Did they only recently buy them out or something? Maybe that's why DVD Planet started having a similar 20% off sale at the same time also.

_Man_

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I can't wait for the next 20% off (November?). I need to pick up some of these old DVDs that refuse to come down in price, like Grizzly (1976) and Maniac Cop. I hate buying old titles that are more than $10.

Does the 20% sale apply to CDs and games too?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Last time it didn't apply to CDs or video games, but I believe it did apply to board games. They had a few good ones, too.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The title of this thread scares me everytime I go to this forum. Sale is On = money is out! Then I notice the title is out of date and I can relax.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yup.

But depending upon your point of view and your consideration of the HTF, you might want to consider that some HTFers are considering a boycott of the DD sale because of their treatment of HTF during the last sale. Go back a page or two to read more.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

There is a press release about it on Infinity's website, but it's not dated so I don't know when the merger took place.

DVD Planet originally was Ken Crane's Laserdiscs in California. Then at some point DVD Planet merged with Digital Eyes, which had been in Tennessee (if I remember correctly).

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I noticed several people complaining about the media mail shipping and suggesting paying for the expedited. Did you ever fully read DD's shipping policy?

Looks like anything on backorder (which is usually a lot!) will still ship media mail. WTF? :frowning:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>I think DD could be in some financial trouble...
-------
I would be VERY surprised if DDD had their usual 20% off sale-unless its a fast way to raise some capital
Retailers are in a panic as spending drops, unemployment grows-and the country is being strip-mined of its wealth by the big boys-thus-who knows what the dollar and 'stock market' will do. People have it backwards.
INFLATION is your dollars value shrinking, THUS higher prices-not the other way around; OT ALERT!

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
They raised their prices across the board over a year ago, well before the current economic problems. I used to support them with almost 100% of my business, but when I realized I could usually find the best prices at Amazon or elsewhere, I stopped using them except for the occasional purchase during the 20% off sales. Even during the sales it might pay to shop around a bit.

IMHO they are just as responsible for their financial woes as is the economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks