What's new

Deep Discount DVD ... my vendor of choice (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I have never received an email notice from them so I can't say that it has deterioted any since I placed a handful of orders of late. Their excuse is that it is only an AOL issue. Does anyone have similar experiences with them and not have an AOL account?

You'll notice on this thread and if you do some research on DDD service is that the trend in the last few months has been negative. I'm not sure it can all be attributed to their 'Systems issues' which is what they blame it on if you call...

Joel

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still receive email notifications when I place an order, but I have not consistently been receiving notifications when an order is shipped. This has not been a big deal for me, since the orders are still shipping in a timely manner.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I spoke to them again today to see if at least I could rely on the website keeping my orders straight. No such luck. The best they could do was ask if I wanted 'IT' to be notified to put my order on the web. I said of course, this should not be a question to be asked.

I also set up my alternate email address that automatically forwards my mail to my aol account to see if any notifications would be forthcoming. I need to place a 'dummy' or 'real' order to test this. Unfortunately, the '60's IT capabilities they have are not able to cancel any orders online.

If these guys ever benchmarked their online capabilities to any other modern site they would be in for quite a shock. I don't understand how DDD consistently has their website rated so highly...

Joel

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using deepdiscount since they opened. They used to be great but they are going downhill - fast.

Their site, especially the secure site, has always been very slow to navigate, and the time it takes to get a package once it been sent has always taken about 2 weeks.

I'd come to expect this. What I can't accept is their current problems.I still have not received my free gift and every time I contact them about it they lie. So far I've been told it's be sent, resent, and resent. When I call customer service they contradict what I've been told in emails.

As if that's not bad enough, on 10/11 I placed 3 separate orders with them. Each time their site showed my order was received. I received 3 emails confirming the received the orders and that I would get another (for each) with my order numbers. These never came. I emailed them to find out what was going on and they replied they had no record of any of the orders and that I should reorder them. The problem with that is they have since raised their prices on several of the titles which are now cheaper at my favorite site, dvd empire, but not as cheap as my original orders.

This morning I forwarded the email confirmations they had sent and asked them to replace the orders, I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Mark Hanson

Agent
I think I know where some of the orders are going. I have gotten three of one order and two of another. The comment was that I had contacted them and stated not received and they had reshipped. Problem was neither my wife or I had contacted them. Stated had confirmed it was us, but am 100% sure it was not.

Sounds like there is some sort of database problem. In the past I have always gotten everything even without confirmations or confirmations after I had received shipment. The other problem is that some of the less popular DVD's that are upcoming are not available, it was that way at the start then changed, and now appears to have changed back.

Hope this gets fixed since I need a place to get things that B&M's in smaller cities will never stock.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Well, Grease finally arrived today. As soon as I slap the return-address label on the MAR version they sent me to begin with and drop that bad boy in the mail, my relationship with DDD will be at an end.

Not an I'll-never-do-business-with-them-again-no-matter-what-they-do kind of end, but a they'll-have-to-bend-over-backwards-to-make-me-happy-again-and-until-then-I'm-going-to-talk-trash-about-their-service kind of end.

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've ordered once before from DDD, and all went fine. I ordered again a couple of weeks ago, got an email confirmation from the web site, but then.... nothing!
I'll attach the contents of my email interaction below, but here's the gist:
I sent them a copy of the original confirmation, which included an order date, and I basically said "what's up"?.
They responded saying, we don't see it anywhere, "when did you order it?" and "Let us know if you have any questions" :angry:
Well, I responded that I thought I already took care of both of those issues, but went on to reiterate that I was looking for help with this situation.
They responded with "Please contact us if you have any questions." Well, for crying out loud, what the heck have I been doing?!?!?!?!?!!
So, here's the email:
Date : 10/23/02 12:24 AM
---
Hi,
I never received a follow-up (order confirmation) to this email. I logged in to you site, an this order doesn't show up there, either.
Can you please let me know the status of this order?
Thanks,
Jeff
-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 4:33 PM
To: my email address
Subject: Order with DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.com
Thank you for ordering from DeepDiscountDVD.com!
Your order information appears below.
YOU WILL RECEIVE ANOTHER EMAIL WITH AN ORDER CONFIRMATION NUMBER.
Order Date: 10/18/02 Credit Card#
***********xxxx
Item Description Quantity Price
------------- ---------------------------------------- -------- --------
DDBVD023968D MONSTERS, INC 1 $19.89
DDBVD024962D BEAUTY AND THE BEAST PLATINUM (SE) 1 $19.89
DDFXD005539D STAR WARS 2: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (WS) 1 $18.89
------------- ---------------------------------------- -------- --------
Promo Discount: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Price: $0.00
Order Total: $58.67
*** Online Order Status available at http://www.DeepDiscountDVD.com *** You will receive an order confirmation shortly.
If you need to get in touch with us, please send us a new e-mail message to [email protected] instead of replying to this message.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I mostly use www.buy.com
I've ordered around 15 DVDs in the past 6 months from them, and ALWAYS get my orders within 3-5 days with FREE SHIPPING. :)
They're prices are not too shabby either.
I started out, back in 1998, using DVD Express, then moved on to Amazon.com in 2000, and now I'm using Buy.com. I'm with Buy.com now because I get my DVDs so fast, they have good prices, and just about all their DVDs qualify for FREE SHIPPING!
I'll use Buy.com until a better DVD dealer comes along. One thing, I'm not to impressed about is they're not as technical (Correct Sound format, aspect ratio listing) as I'd like, but most sites aren't (that I've seen anyway).
Edit: I preordered Episode II, and received it on Saturday, November 9, 2002, three days before it was officially released. This is another reason I buy my DVDs from www.buy.com However, a pre-order doesn't guarentee you'll get it early, it's still nice to know you COULD get it early. I preordered the Extended Edition of FOTR, and got it the same day it came out. Not bad, not bad at all. :)

Brad A

Agent
I probably have bought about 50 dvd's from DeepDiscountDvd...I am VERY satified with them...They are always willing to price match ..They even price matched a couple even though I had received them already..They have great customer service

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Is this the same DDDVD that I've been dealing with? In over 50 orders, I've never had one problem. I too ordered the Alec Guinness Collection. They shipped the other title I had ordered at the same time and indicated on the packing slip that the AG collection was on backorder and the date they expected to ship it. It actually arrived five days before that. I suspect the demand far exceeded what they anticipated and had to reorder. I wouldn't make light of other people's problems with them, but it does seem strange that they seem to have a "Jekyll and Hyde" reputation.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
DDD used to be a my etailer of choice, but not anymore. I agree with all the posters who've noticed a slip in the last few months. Out of all the DVDs (200+) I've bought online from a dozen different stores, I never experienced the problems I started having with DDD.

1st they sent me (and billed me) for 12 copies of a DVD I ordered only 1 of. They blamed me for the mistake even though the confirmation email clearly showed only 1 ordered.

2nd they again blamed me when I never received an order they claimed to have shipped. After about a month of emails they finally decided to 'give me the benefit of the doubt' and send a replacement.

3rd they sent me a completely erroneous order (nothing I had ordered arrived, instead I got completely different DVDs. It was as if they were trying to be like TiVo and decided to send me movies they thought I'd like instead of what I'd ordered. After another couple of weeks of emails they decided they had indeed made a mistake and sent me the correct order (only after receiving what they'd originally sent me back.)

That was my last 3 orders in a row. I'm never ordering from them again, no matter what. It also seems like they've raised their prices a bit, and their shipping was so slow I actually received DVDs from Asia before DDD orders. So, no big loss, IMHO. I can do with out them.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well its been about a month now since the last post and I was wondering if anyone has tried using DDD lately? If not who has everyone decided to go with instead?

Chris S.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I hope some people with real recent experience with DDDVD chime in. I was going to place an order with them very soon, ST4 pre-order, $16 and change. Just wondering if I should look elsewhere.

Brad A

Agent
I STILL use DDD and have NEVER had a problem with them (and I use them quite alot) Everytime I have requested....they have always beat other online total prices..If I ever do start having problems with them...then I will find another online DVD seller...Until then, I'm sticking with DDD...I am quite pleased with them so far.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I am a longtime DDDVD customer with no problems experienced thus far. There CD store? Now that would be a different story.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I use the better of DDD or DVD empire, whichever has better prices (and Empire counts if I can generate 4 titles for free DVD empire shipping). DVDE has a much better website, but DDD usually has better prices. Sometimes others beat both (like now FYE with the 20% off coupon and free shipping over $50.00).

In any case, I like DDD, and order frequently from them and the one time I had problems, they re-shipped instantly and all was fine.

d

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Hey, Gang: considering that I started this thread and had had trouble with these guys, I must admit: I have ordered a couple of odd titles from DDD...mainly to pay a low price on items I was not in a hurry for, and surprise(!), DDD has improved quite a bit.

Nowehere as good as Empire or Planet, but getting better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks