What's new

decode with dvd player or receiver? also a denon question (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
My dvd player has a decoder, but i just bought the Denon 3802. Should I use the receivers decoder or the dvd players'?
Is there a difference in quality at all?
Also, I havent received the Denon in the mail yet. Im really excited. Any tips on making the most of this baby?
thanks
anthony

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i'd use the decoder in the rcvr, for two reasons:
1. you only need 1 coax or optical cable vs. 6 analog interconnects.
2. more importantly, you will have better bass mgmt with the rcvr.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I second that reply. Just get a 75 ohm coax for hookup and you'll be set.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
i already have the 6 cables since my last receiver didnt have a decoder. So buying those isnt a problem.
But its still better with the receiever? Is that the concensus?
Thanks

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
Depending on what dvdplayer you have, of course, but i would wager a guess as to say that the 3802's decoders are probably nicer than what is in the player. Plus the convenience of everything on one cable (less mess), and better bass management would make the rcvr a hands down winner...
am i right or am i right? :P
------------------
Thanks,
kevp

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I agree. I have the Denon 4800, and the decoder does a beautiful job. Depending on your player you might also wish to run 2 analog cables between the DVD player and the "CD" input of the receiver. I did this because a) I've not been able to assign the same digital input to two "inputs" (i.e. DVD and CD), b) My DVD player has HDCD decoding built in and so I'm able to take advantage of this every once in a while using the CD input, and c) I leave the CD input in direct stereo, etc. and leave my DVD settings at "Dolby" which means Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital, or DTS, whichever you throw at it.

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
One reason I don't use the DVD players decoder is due to it's 100hz crossover freq for bass management. Denon's is 80hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks