What's new

Deciding between Panasonic TC-P50GT30 vs. Samsung PN51D8000/PN50C8000 (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I'm in the process of moving up from my 4-5 year old Sony LCD Bravia 32XBR4 to a 50" plasma. I'm now down to a Samsung and a Panasonic. I briefly demo'd the Panny GT30 but want to get more time with it and check out the competing Samsung as well.

I got two independent opinions from salesmen at different retailers preferring the Panasonic, particularly the VT series. Sadly, Panasonic did not decide to offer it in a 50" size. A 55" model is the smallest and I can't accomodate it in my setup. They still praise the GT series over the Samsung. Prices are comparable.

Any people care to chime in on these models? At present I'm leaning towards the Panasonic but there are pluses on the Samsung side from what I see: more comprehensive apps/internet suite, much better power consumption figures and a larger set of settings/controls options.

This is my first plasma so I want to make a good informed choice. Suggestions are certainly welcome.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I calibrated a Sammy 64 8000 unit last evening. It looked frkn awesome. I highly recommend it.

Kevin T Miller

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Miller
Hi All,

I would recommend the Samsung D8000 over the Panasonic GT30. The Samsung has more accurate color in the end even after calibration, and the blacks and contrast ratio are about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks