What's new

Decided against HTIB and want to build a system, looking for your expertise. (1 Viewer)

Osueric27

Grip
Real Name
Eric Jones
Ok, in my first post is was looking at an Onkyo HTIB. After some research I have decided to up my budget to $2000. So here goes.....
Existing infrastructure.
1. My room is 18' wide x 16' deep x 9' vaulted ceiling.
2. Currently I have a Sony STR-SE501 5.1 system, which clearly is not enough. The front and rear speakers are mounted on the walls about 7' up on speaker brackets. All of the wiring was done by the previous owner and looks to be fine. There was a Bose system in prior.
3. I have two other zones to support as well. Two outdoor speakers by the pool and two speakers up stairs in an office.
System Suggestions..
1. I would like to keep the receiver to $800. I think Onkyo and Denon have some nice models in that range that would support my 3 zones. I would also like to be able to control the volume and possibly an iPod in the two remote zones. I think Onkyo had an option for an app to control the remote zones. Other suggestions would be appreciated.
2. For the speakers I would like to put some in-wall options for the front and rear since the wire is already there and they would be easy to mount. Thinking possibly Polk or someone had suggested Speakercraft. Other suggestions would be appreciated.
3. For the center speaker I need one that can lay down on top of my entertainment center in front of the TV.
4. A good sub to wrap it all up.
So after the receiver I should have about $1200 left to complete the speaker package. Thanks for all the help!
Eric

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Why not a cheaper receiver for the main system and use a Sonos for the other 2 zones?
2 & 3. It's going to be difficult to find in-walls with a conventional center. If you go in-wall all the way, then look at the PE ones from your other thread.
4. What are your goals for the sub? I've seen people spend $200 to $2,000 to $20,000 on their sub alone.

Osueric27

Grip
Real Name
Eric Jones
I will check out the sonos stuff. For the sub, just something to fit in the budget that gives me a good clean low end that fills the room nicely.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Minimum, I'd go with a BIC F20 (I think that's the model). If you can swing it, an SVS, Hsu, eD or Epik will be better. Your best bang for the buck starting at $400 will be DIY. That's where a decent 10" sub starts but a killer 15" DIY sub also starts. All of this assumes you have the time, tools and basic woodworking skills to make a box. And there's nothing special about said box either. Just get it the correct size (I help with that) and it will work.

Osueric27

Grip
Real Name
Eric Jones
Interesting on the DIY, did not think of that. I have actually built some speaker cabs for my guitar amplifiers. That raises a few questions.
What type of wood is best?
What is a good speaker?
Do you have some plans or at least deminsions?
I typically used Baltic birch plywood which is what Marshall uses, but I know specific woods have different tonal qualities.
Eric

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MDF. You can paint it after a good sealing or cover it with veneer.
There are hundreds depending on the maximum cabinet size and your final budget.
Depends on the speaker.
BB is lighter and finishes well but it is more expensive. You don't want any tonal qualities at all. BB has a resonant frequency that is higher than the passband of the sub. MDF has a lower resonant frequency. Either works depending on your final design.
Here's two examples.
This uses a TC Sounds Axis 15". It's a monster of a sub because I run a pair of them powered by a Behringer EP-2500 (stereo @ 2 ohms). http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/tc3000.html
This one uses a TC Sounds based 15" with a TC-9 motor structure. Very familiar with these as I have four 18's built similarly. Many other 15's will work in this. I recommend a plate amp since it is ported. Plate amps have a subsonic filter that pro amps (Behringer) don't have. But they cost more $$ per watt than pro amps. http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/tcsounds.html
The current Alpine Type-R subs are getting great reviews and they are relatively inexpensive. A pair of 12's with a Behringer I-Nuke amp would be a killer setup. Design it like the Epik Subwoofers Empire (or Legend) model and you should be able to outperform it. Or you could go nuts and get a TC Sound LMS 5400 18" but that will take almost all of your budget. I've seen one setup where a guy put two per cabinet and had four cabinets. Each powered by a Lab Gruppen clone at 220v for 14,000w per cabinet. 8 18's and over 50,000w of power can rock a theater room.
Your budget is the only limit.

Real Name
Andrew
I agree with Robert on the sonos! The possibilities offered by sonos will defiantly be better than trying to handle everything though the one reliever. 3 zones with separate volume and audio playing in each is better handled through a product made ONLY to do that.
And the type R is a great idea as well. i own 1 and love the sound it gives out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks