DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1968) new Wild East DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Specialty label Wild East has issued a widescreen, anamorphic edition of the original theatrical version of this much-admired spaghetti western. I'm not sure if the release is official or unofficial. Wild East does license films, but releases public domain titles as well, and Death Rides a Horse proliferates in the public domain in the USA. The description on Wild East's website sounds as if this will be better quality than the low-grade public domain editions. But I would like to read some reviews and see screen captures before I risk spending my money.

The MGM region 2 U.K. DVD is an excellent, widescreen transfer that cuts some horse falls and violence, but is otherwise complete, I think. Of course, the PAL speed-up makes it play out in the wrong pitch. The voices are much too high and the gesture a hair too quick and jerky. So I hope for the best from Wild East.

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Since Wild East is an official label I'd be very surprised if they released DRAH and didn't have the legal rights to do it. Not sure what your concern is about whether this is a public domain title. PD is simply a legal term and has no bearing on a releases image quality.

Anyway I pre-ordered this and received it the other day, haven't watched it yet. I'll come back and post my impressions after I do. I also own the Region 2 UK disc which I can reference against.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I look forward to your appraisal.

I gather you are generally pleased with Wild East's DVD's, then? Do you recommend them? I've never seen one of their DVD's but I'm on the verge of checking them out.

4. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Are you sure that the UK-DVD is cut? It's the first time I hear off.

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

6. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Isn't most of their stuff non anamorphic?

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I only own a handful but yes I'm generally pleased with the ones that I own. A few of their earlier releases had some issues (Sartana) but those aren't in print anymore anyway.

If you're interested in any of their films then yes I'd recommend them. I wouldn't put them on par with say a Blue Underground but their releases are decent enough given how obscure the films are. Don't hesitate too long as their stuff doesn't stay in print very long.

No. Most (if not all) of their current releases that are still in print are anamorphic.