DEAR FOX...WILL YOU BE OFFERING A BLU-RAY VOTE THIS YEAR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    I don't think John Wayne or his films are "crappy", but I do agree that last year's vote felt extremely staged.

I strongly suspect the outcome was such that movies which Fox had already planned for release (and in some cases had already released in other regions), not-too-suprisingly came out out as "winners" in the poll. Conspiracy theories aside, the entire voting system was fundamentally flawed, in that it allowed an individual to vote multiple times, and with the poll running for so long, basically skewed the results towards the titles which a few obsessive fans preferred. In other words, if you didn't vote every single day over a two month long period, and didn't vote across multiple devices, to maintain your share of the votes, you lost out to those people who did. Which is why we saw some very strange and dramatic changes in voting percentages as the poll proceeded, particularly in the last few days.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but if a poll is going to be run in the same way this year, count me out.

2. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Can't tell you how much I'd adore "Anastasia" on Blu-ray. After "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" came out I was positive we'd see "Anastasia" closely follow... so far no luck. I hope when it's finally released that the problems with the soundtrack are fixed.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I rewatched it on DVD a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at its quality.

classicmovieguy likes this.
  4. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Its a beautiful print... and I'd expect all the great extras to be ported over to the prospective Blu release as well... Hopefully the soundtrack problems encountered in reels #1, #4 and #5 can be fixed.

5. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

"He's a Viking! Barbarians! Pirates! Uncivilized Pagans!"--King Luke of Ord (Barry Jones) from PRINCE VALIANT (1954) screenplay by Dudley Nichols based on the character created by Hal Foster, directed by Henry Hathaway.
    When is 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment going to release Region 1 bluray editions of THE RETURN OF FRANK JAMES (1940) and PRINCE VALIANT (1954)?!
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8pkoHHQ9pA0
    I wish that the DVD version had used this theatrical trailer which is in superb condition!
    Jeff T.

6. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Michael Shayne please (the Lloyd Nolan films).

7. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    I'd buy a Region A PRINCE VALIANT in a hot minute, even though I already own the Region B one. New classic blu-ray releases involving vikings, barbarians, pirates and uncivilized pagans would be fantastic. The picture quality of BDs I've bought of the widescreen Fox epics have been jaw-dropping. Please, sirs, may we have some more?

8. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I bought Carmen Jones, and it was probably the best blind buy title I've purchased this century.

9. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

For what it is PRINCE VALIANT (1954) is a very well done CinemaScopic adventure epic especially the Viking aspects of it which has seldom (if ever) been done as good.

I am cognizant of the Region 2 bluray edition but that is useless to me and 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment should give this film some serious thought in upgrading it to the bluray medium in Region 1.

Jeff T.

10. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    In addition to "Anastasia", I'd love to see Fox release "Peyton Place", "The Best of Everything", "Soldier of Fortune" and their Doris Day titles on Blu this year.

11. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    The trouble with the Region B Eureka PRINCE VALIANT is that the transfer is not very good and there is a lack of sharpness throughout. With a new transfer, and it needs one, I'd be one of the first in line to pick this up. ANASTASIA would also be a "must have" for me. Fox has been just wonderful in the PQ department lately so I'd REALLY be excited if they push some more classics out. Fox, just a heartfelt thank you and your BLACK SWAN was gorgeous, by the way.

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm just hoping we get either BEDAZZLED or BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS on Blu. If Fox isn't going to release these cult classics — both of which have guaranteed audiences — please give them to Shout Factory or Twilight Time to get the job done.

13. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Or at the least give as the original "Valley of the Dolls".

14. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Yes, The Ghost & Mrs Muir is thankfully out of the running now -- as it should be since I voted for it so many times. What a great movie. And my other top choice was Carmen Jones.. another success
    And now of course we know why none of the Rodgers and Hammerstein movies were offered in the last poll!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what makes up their next list .. if there is another one!