dear ethan & joel...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Micah Cohen, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Dear Ethan & Joel:

You guys are really big mainstream successes now. THE BIG LEBOWSKI is a "surprise cult hit," with at least two, maybe three DVD releases (one with a bowling ball!). The DVD of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN looked beautiful, crisp and clear. And I'm even looking forward to seeing the new comedy, yes.

So... Now that you're pretty big, and all... Why not revisit RAISING ARIZONA? The DVD is, frankly, terrible. The worst of the lot. Soft, non-anamorphic, dull and sounds as if it's under water.

Whaddaya say, guys? Come on. Soon, ok? So I can buy it and can quit renting the same awful scratched up version of it from Netflix.

Thanks.

Yours,

MC

"We're usin CODE names."

2. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I don't think it's their call. Fox has had three great opportunities to release this (to coincide with the initial Fox releases of "Barton Fink" & "Miller's Crossing", the film's 20th anniversary last year and their 5-film box set after they acquired "Fargo" and "Blood Simple") and they've opted to keep the same non-anamorphic disc in circulation.

If any two directors are uninvolved with DVD production its the Coens. They barely contribute to their other DVD releases so it should come as no surprise that they aren't riding Fox to get an acceptable transfer for this film.

Fox is who you wanna hound. "Hudsucker" is anamorphic but Warner Bros. could do a lot better with that one too.

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I agree. You know, I was just seeing if I could drum up some HTF rah-rah about the sad state of the RAISING ARIZONA disc. We get release upon re-release (and sometimes re-re-release) of some real stinkers, and RAISING ARIZONA is not one of those. It needs a little more attention, even if it's just in the form of a watchable media release.

In my opinion.

MC

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    An HD version has run in the recent past (on MOJO I think), and it looked pretty decent. We can hope that Fox gets around to a Blu-ray release sooner rather than later.

This used to be my favorite Coen film, but then O Brother edged it out slightly.

Well, okay then.

5. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Fox is really beginning to suck now. Their refusal to re-issue non-anamorphic DVD's (THE ABYSS, anyone?) is exasperating. Their pricing of bare-bones Blu-Ray, including virtually NONE of the special features of the SD's that could so easily have fit on them, is puzzling (it would seem to me they are shooting themselves in the feet - I know MANY BD adapters won't buy them unless their price drops and/or they release full-on special editions). Guess the glory days of the wonderfully-priced Studio Classics series and customer relations under the guidance of people like Peter Staddon are gone for now.
    We'll have to wait for a renaissance under a new regime, such as Warner Bros. experienced a few years back.

6. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

ACH! THE ABYSS! You're right. Awful. Abyss-mal.

:-(

MC

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Fox has nothing to do with the lack of an anamorphic copy of The Abyss. James Cameron hasn't approved a new transfer so that's the hold up.

8. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

i have been on a Coen brothers kick since MCFOM came out, and I would LOVE to see a new DVD of Raising Arizona too. Even if it is barebones with some fluff EPK stuff. Just gimmie a decent anamorphic transfer.

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I just would like to see all their films go to Blu.
    but i would settle for a better release of raising arizona.

MCFOM?

Micah Cohen For Older Films
    ?