What's new

Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Rick, I don't know if someone you know has been killed by a drunk driver or what has led you to your convictions.

I see the loveable lush as no different than any other social ill. Just because people have been killed by guns doesn't make me skiddish or annoyed at Granny and Jed carrying a gun. I don't cry out against Hogan's Heroes because they had Nazis in the show. I don't detest one-armed men because of what happened to Richard Kimball.

If we look hard enough in this politically correct society we can find things to get all worked up about. As a matter of fact, I'm a returning college student and I see the political correctness/blame game running rampant in some of the textbooks. If you don't like something, turn it off and quit making an issue of it.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Ron1973 said:
Rick, I don't know if someone you know has been killed by a drunk driver or what has led you to your convictions.

I see the loveable lush as no different than any other social ill. Just because people have been killed by guns doesn't make me skiddish or annoyed at Granny and Jed carrying a gun. I don't cry out against Hogan's Heroes because they had Nazis in the show. I don't detest one-armed men because of what happened to Richard Kimball.

If we look hard enough in this politically correct society we can find things to get all worked up about. As a matter of fact, I'm a returning college student and I see the political correctness/blame game running rampant in some of the textbooks. If you don't like something, turn it off and quit making an issue of it.
I don't see the connection between political correctness, which makes voicing unpopular opinions punishable by shouting down and ostracizing, and the idea that we should applaud making jokes at the expense of those suffering from alcoholism and other conditions. What's next? Autism jokes? Or how about someone who starts a routine with "did you hear the one about the cripple and the retard?" We going to stand up and applaud then? I certainly hope not. Then what's so funny about an alcoholic?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Rick Thompson said:
I don't see the connection between political correctness, which makes voicing unpopular opinions punishable by shouting down and ostracizing, and the idea that we should applaud making jokes at the expense of those suffering from alcoholism and other conditions. What's next? Autism jokes? Or how about someone who starts a routine with "did you hear the one about the cripple and the retard?" We going to stand up and applaud then? I certainly hope not. Then what's so funny about an alcoholic?
So jokes that could be considered racist or sextist are okay, but jokes from someone acting in a drunken stupor are not?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm talking about making fun of those suffering from disabilities. If you want to bring in race and sex, I'll leave that to you (though for the record I don't find them funny either; ditto "comic" routines littered with f-bombs). Or are you saying that those areas are forbidden, but making fun of drunks and others who can't help themselves is just fine?

Since I'm obviously not convincing anyone that Foster Brooks was anything but a comic genius for the ages, and lush jokes are the height of humor, that's my last post on this topic.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Rick Thompson said:
Since I'm obviously not convincing anyone that Foster Brooks was anything but a comic genius for the ages, and lush jokes are the height of humor, that's my last post on this topic.
I don't think anyone is trying to make that particular point, but to say there wasn't anything funny about Foster's routine (or Dino's for that matter) is a bit absurd.

Unless you have personal reasons for feeling the way you do and are sensitive to the subject of alcoholism - in which case I could understand. Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
At last, an ACCURATE list of the roastees & roasters, that's in the PROPER ORDER: (unlike Guthy - Renker's online list of roasters) This is 51 of 54. (i didn't do the 3 new Star - Vista shows yet. (J. Namath ('74) , R. Foxx ('74) , Klugman & Randall) HANK AARON: joey bishop,eddie matthews,audrey meadows,lou rawls,norm crosby,jackie bavene, lynn anderson, nipsey russell, dizzy dean, jeannie rineal, rodney allen rippy, foster brooks. M. ALI: freddie prinze,gabe kaplan,red buttons,tony orlando,charlie callas,wilt chamberlain,georgia engel,billy crystal, floyd patterson, howard cosell, ruth buzzi, gene kelly, s.hemsley & i.sanford, rocky graziano, foster brooks, orson welles, nipsey russell. LUCILLE BALL: phyllis diller,d. rowan & d. martin,ruth buzzi,bob hope, milton berle,gary morton,gale gordon, totie fields,rich little,henry fonda,ginger rogers,foster brooks,nipsey russell,jack benny,vivian vance,don rickles. JACK BENNY: joey bishop,flo henderson,george burns,jimmy stewart,norm crosby,zubin mehta, pearl bailey,dick martin,mark spitz,wayne newton,rich little,demond wilson,jack carter,foster brooks. GEORGE BURNS: milton berle,abe vigoda,gene kelly,ruth buzzi,jimmy stewart,dom deluise,lawanda page,tom dreesen phyllis diller, red buttons,orson welles,frank welker,jack carter,ronald reagan,charlie callas,connie stevens,don rickles. JOHNNY CARSON: george burns,truman capote,doc severinson,joey bishop,ruth buzzi,dom deluisebob newhart, louisa moritz, fred decordova,jonathon winters,foster brooks,dionne warwick,rich little,barry goldwater,bette davis, m.milner & k. mccord, redd foxx, jack benny, joanna holland. TRUMAN CAPOTE: ted knight,audrey meadows,donald o'connor,rich little, joe wambaugh, rocky graziano, jean simmons, foster brooks. WILT CHAMBERLAIN: norm crosby,happy hairston,audrey meadows,ken berry, nipsey russell, bill shoemaker, vernon scott, george kennedy, jackie gayle. WILLIAM CONRAD: phyllis diller, nipsey russell, petula clark, bob newhart, jackie gayle. JOAN COLLINS: gavin macleod, bea arthur,red buttons,phyllis diller,angie dickinson,charlie callas,rich little, anne baxter, don rickles, zsa zsa gabor, john forsythe, aaron spelling, dom deluise, milton berle. BETTE DAVIS: pat buttram,kay medford,nipsey russell,joyce haber, vincent price, army archerd, barbara heller, henry fonda, howard cosell. SAMMY DAVIS: milton berle,wilt chamberlain,freddie prinze,norm crosby,dionne warwick,joey bishop, nipsey russell, phyllis diller, jan murray, frank gorshin, foster brooks, don rickles, altovise davis. ANGIE DICKINSON: jimmie walker,cindy williams,earl holliman,red buttons,jackie mason,jimmy stewart, joey bishop,scatman crothers,ruth buzzi,charlie callas,lawanda page,orson welles,foster brooks,rex reed. KIRK DOUGLAS: ted knight,norm crosby, jack burns & avery schreiber, rich little, lynn anderson, jackie gayle, don rickles. LEO DUROCHER: maury wills,bobby riggs,dizzy dean,chuck connors,alex karras,jack carter,foster brooks. REDD FOXX: slappy white,steve allen,milton berle,lawanda page,george kirby,liz torres,abe vigoda, jimmie walker,orson welles,marty allen,isabel sanford,joe garagiola,nipsey russell,isaac hayes,don rickles. ZSA ZSA GABOR: donald o'connor,charles nelson reilly,sue cameron, corbett monica, donna fargo, lonnie schorr, ruth buzzi, buddy hackett. JOE GARAGIOLA: jack carter,mickey mantle,orson welles,charlie callas,pat henry,hank aaron,yogi berra,shirley jones,charlie finley, norm crosby, luis tiant, jackie gayle, stan musial, nipsey russell, willie mays, foster brooks, red buttons, maury wills, gabe kaplan. JACKIE GLEASON: phyllis diller,milton berle,danny thomas,audrey meadows,gene kelly,nipsey russell, sandy herdt, sid caeser, sheila macrae, art carney, frank gorshin, foster brooks. BARRY GOLDWATER: william conrad,norm crosby,steve landesberg,carroll o'connor, william holden, mark russell, zsa zsa gabor, donald rice, dan rowan. DAN HAGGERTY: rich little,ruth buzzi,orson welles,red buttons,jimmie walker,denver pyle,charlie callas, abe vigoda,tom dreesen,ben the bear mascot,lawanda page,foster brooks,marilyn michaels,jackie gayle. MONTY HALL: bert parks,audrey meadows,rocky graziano,donald o'connor,gene kelly,birch bayh,art linkletter,jack carter. VALERIE HARPER: rich little,isabel sanford,david groh,red buttons,phyllis diller,jack albertson,shelley winters,milton berle, ed asner,jamie farr,eva gabor,chad everett,julie kavner,nipsey russell,georgia engel,foster brooks,jack carter,richard schaal. HUGH HEFNER: billy baxter,howard cosell,audrey meadows,jackie gayle,dick martin,joey bishop. BOB HOPE: flip wilson,ronald reagan,john wayne, (by video) foster brooks,jimmy stewart,milton berle,billy graham,rich little, howard cosell,jack benny,zsa zsa gabor,nipsey russell,omar bradley,phyllis diller,neil armstrong,henry kissinger,(by video) don rickles, delores hope. HUBERT HUMPHREY: pat henry,nipsey russell,gene kelly,leo durocher,audrey meadows, mort sahl, ted knight, mark russell, rich little, donald rice, lowell weicker, foster brooks. GABE KAPLAN: nipsey russell,liz torres,billy crystal,charo,red buttons,jimmie walker, orson welles, howard cosell, johnny bench, ed bluestone, alice ghostley,joe garagiola,charlie callas,abe vigoda, george kirby,milton berle. JACK KLUGMAN: milton berle, katherine helmond, dick martin, red buttons, joey bishop, lawanda page, ruth buzzi, robert guillaume, kay medford, connie stevens, tony randall, foster brooks, don rickles. EVIL KNIEVEL: gabe kaplan,isabel sanford,ernest borgnine,milton berle, william conrad,barry goldwater,glen campbell,georgia engel,jackie cooper, nipsey russell, joyce brothers,charlie callas,cliff robertson,mclean stevenson, sandy herdt, ruth buzzi, don rickles. TED KNIGHT: jimmie walker,harvey korman,julie mcwhirter,jackie mason, red buttons,lawanda page,paul williams,ed asner,foster brooks, jimmy stewart, scatman crothers, gavin macleod, georgia engel, kelly monteith, orson welles, willy tyler & lester, renee richards. MICHAEL LANDON #1: phyllis diller,ernest borgnine,joey bishop,norm crosby, euell gibbons, john whitestone, jan murray, cliff robertson, lorne greene, sid caesar, amanda blake, victor son yung, don rickles. MICHAEL LANDON #2: rich little,pat harrington,dick butkus & bubba smith, dick shawn,merlin olsen,lorne greene,norm crosby,melissa gilbert,vic tayback, maureen murphey, orson welles, slappy white, brian keith, don rickles. PETER MARSHALL: joey bishop,rose marie,red buttons,zsa zsa gabor, orson welles,rip taylor,vincent price,karen valentine,ed bluestone,foster brooks, jimmie walker, jackie gayle, wayland flowers & madam, paul lynde, jack carter. DEAN MARTIN: don rickles,(as roastmaster)orson welles,paul lynde,joe namath, barry goldwater,angie dickinson,muhammad ali,jimmy stewart,gabe kaplan, gene kelly,hubert humphrey,charlie callas,john wayne,joey bishop, rich little, ruth buzzi,tony orlando,georgia engel,nipsey russell,foster brooks, howard cosell, dan rowan & dick martin, bob hope.(after j. wayne = video montage) ED MCMAHON: pat buttram,jackie vernon,dionne warwick,steve landesberg, charo, jack carter. MR T : gary coleman,ann jillian,red buttons,rich little, rick schroder,bob hope, gavin macleod, slappy white, dick shawn, george peppard, howard cosell, maureen murphy, don rickles. RALPH NADER: jack klugman, jane withers, steve landesberg, mort sahl, donna fargo, rich little, james brolin, ruth buzzi, jackie gayle, foster brooks. JOE NAMATH: mel tillis,bruce jenner,milton berle,lee meriwether,dick butkus, red buttons,norm crosby,bernie kopell,joey bishop,orson welles, jackie gayle, angie dickinson,sandy herdt,ruth buzzi,jimmie walker,charlie callas,george blanda, rich little. CARROLL O'CONNOR: d. rowan & d. martin,marty allen,mike conners,elsie birdwell, norm crosby, john lindsay (by video), nipsey russell, gene kelly, joey bishop,bob wood,barry goldwater, mama cass, redd foxx, don rickles, foster brooks. (after bob wood = misc. video greetings) RONALD REAGAN: jackie vernon,phyllis diller,dom deluise,pat henry,mark spitz, jack benny, jonathan winters, nipsey russell, nancy reagan, don rickles. DON RICKLES: joey bishop, phyllis diller, lorne greene, d. rowan & d. martin, casey kasem, bob newhart, carol channing, nipsey russell, cliff robertson, jack klugman, pat henry, kirk douglas,(by video) rich little, telly savalas, charlie callas, eugene cernan, foster brooks. BOBBY RIGGS: vincent price, leo durocher, lynn anderson, wayne newton, alex karras, don rice, chuck connors, rosemary casals, jack carter. DAN ROWAN & DICK MARTIN: joey bishop,audrey meadows,arte johnson, richard dawson,nipsey russell,steve lawrence,bob newhart,ruth buzzi,foster brooks. TELLY SAVALAS: phyllis diller, howard cosell, george kennedy, dom deluise, peter graves, casey kasem, shelley winters, ernest borgnine, d. rowan & d. martin, foster brooks, richard roundtree, robert stack, nipsey russell, rich little, angie dickinson, don rickles. FRANK SINATRA: george burns, ronald reagan, dom deluise, peter falk, jimmy stewart, flip wilson, ruth buzzi, milton berle, charlie callas, redd foxx, gene kelly, telly savalas, lawanda page, ernest borgnine, orson welles, red buttons, jack klugman, jonathan winters, rich little, jilly rizzo, don rickles. SUZANNE SOMERS: milton berle, lorne greene, joyce brothers, norman fell, norm crosby, lee meriwether, charlie callas, bernie kopell, red buttons, lawanda page, paul anka, ruth buzzi, tom bosley, audra lindley, rich little, jackie gayle. JIMMY STEWART: milton berle,lucille ball,barry goldwater,ruth buzzi,june allyson, mickey rooney, lawanda page, janet leigh, henry fonda, george burns, greer garson, foster brooks, eddie albert, red buttons, tony randall, rich little, jesse white, don rickles, orson welles. DANNY THOMAS: jimmie walker,charo,red buttons,harvey korman,charlie callas, gene kelly,ruth buzzi,nipsey russell,dena dietrich,howard cosell,jan murray, don knotts, orson welles, lucille ball, milton berle. GEORGE WASHINGTON: (played by jan leighton) dick martin, audrey meadows leonard barr, steve lawrence, corbett monica, nipsey russell, euell gibbons, henny youngman, jack carter, foster brooks. DENNIS WEAVER: william conrad, shelley winters, steve forrest, red buttons, rich little, mike connors, milburn stone, ruth buzzi, nipsey russell, zsa zsa gabor, georgia engel, amanda blake, peter graves, foster brooks, milton berle. BETTY WHITE: peter marshall, jimmie walker, bonnie franklin, red buttons,orson welles,charlie callas,lawanda page,phyllis diller,abe vigoda,rich little,john hillerman, georgia engel, foster brooks, dan haggerty, milton berle, allen ludden.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Can somebody please help me ID a roaster who was on the Monty Hall Roast ?
When Monty was announced at the start of the show, he walked towards the podium,
(from the right side of the TV screen) and he walked past Jack Carter & Ted Knight -
PLUS a man who sat between Carter & Knight.
Can you identify that man for me ? His speech was edited out of the final broadcast,
so i cannot figure out this mystery, by simply watching the whole show. He is only shown
at that one moment, at the start of the show. Thank you in advance !

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
He goes by so quickly that he's hard to see clearly. I don't recognize him. In those first year's roasts, they would frequently put the guest stars from the first half of the variety show on the dais without having them say anything, so if you can find a full guest list for the show, it might help. (For example, Ted Knight didn't speak, but he had been in several sketches earlier in the show that are included on the disc.)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
nietseoj said:
DON RICKLES: joey bishop, phyllis diller, lorne greene, d. rowan & d. martin,casey kasem, bob newhart, carol channing, nipsey russell, cliff robertson,jack klugman, pat henry, kirk douglas,(by video) rich little,telly savalas, charlie callas, eugene cernan, foster brooks.
Absolutely great job on the list...I thought I knew them all but somehow have missed Rickles as a roastee...until now. Thanks.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
FanCollector - i've never seen an accurate list (on the internet) of ALL appearances on the Variety Shows. But thanx 4 trying to ID that person. I got such a kick out of watching the Hank Aaron Roast. Bob Uecker was on the dais.- but never aired ! What a waste !

Grim Reaper - thanx for the compliment on the list. I bashed Guthy for putting out a list that had so many errors - and them i omitted Jack Carter from the Ted Knight Roast ! Sorry about that. So here's the update - Jack Carter is the last roaster - after Renee Richards. And i'm now done with the 3 Star-Vista Roasts. Here they are:
KLUGMAN & RANDALL: mike connors, loretta lynn, soupy sales, laffit pincay,
leonard barr, gary burghoff, ruth buzzi, jack carter.
REDD FOXX: norm crosby, slappy white, audrey meadows, joey bishop, john
barbour, nipsey russell, jeannine burnier, rich little, demond wilson, jackie gayle.
JOE NAMATH: joey bishop, paul bryant, slappy white, dick butkus, corbett monica,
angie dickinson, charlie callas, david janssen, nipsey russell, jim plunkett, audrey
meadows,don meredith,rich little,weeb ewbank,fulton sheen,jack carter,foster brooks.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
RMW650 - i asked every Library within 50 miles of me, to please consider buying this $200 boxset - and two of them bought it. Maybe this would work 4U? I work for the School District.& will be on vacation as of 6/15. If you still don't have them by 6/15, feel free to send me an email. quagmire22222 AT yahoo

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Does anybody know of a DVD (other than these roasts) which would contain comedy scenes of Charlie Callas ? The guy is hilarious ! Thanx much !

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Those are great YouTube clips, Richard, but i was hoping to find something on DVD - that i can watch on my TV. Thanx for the suggestion - i wish i could burn those YouTube videos onto a DVD-R.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
I guess you could say this is my 'Wall of Infamy', list.
Roasters who appeared on The Dais, but their speech was cut out of the show. Some were cut out because they sucked. Some asked to be cut out, because they messed up. And some appeared the same day, on the Variety Show & were just asked to sit at The Dais, to make it look fuller.

AARON) bob uecker
ALI ) herbert muhammad
CARSON ) george gobel & cliff robertson
S. DAVIS ) danny thomas
DICKINSON ) cathy rigby, eve arden, & juliet prowse
DOUGLAS ) tim conway & ray price
FOXX 1976 ) norm crosby
GABOR ) mel tillis
GLEASON ) jane kean
HAGGERTY ) roger miller & william conrad
HALL ) ted knight & allan drake
HARPER ) nancy walker & harold gould
HEFNER ) tom t. hall & loretta lynn
HOPE ) johnny bench, ginger rogers,mark spitz, & sugar ray robinson
KLUGMAN ) abbe lane, phyllis diller, & joyce brothers
KLUGMAN/RANDALL ) doug kershaw & jackie vernon
KNIEVEL ) audrey meadows
McMAHON ) ernie borgnine, dom deluise & euell gibbons
MR T ) nell carter
NAMATH 1974 ) lexie brockway & joyce brothers
NAMATH 1979 ) david doyle & tom bosley
REAGAN ) audrey meadows
ROWAN/MARTIN ) buck owens & jackie gayle
SAVALAS ) alex karras & darren mcgavin
SOMERS ) david doyle & zsa zsa gabor
WEAVER ) george hamilton, martin milner, sheldon leonard, jim hutton, & j.d. cannon

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the useful list, Joe! I see you identified Allan Drake. I know who he is, but he zipped by too quickly for me to recognize. At the Ali roast, wasn't it Elijah Muhammad, not Herbert?

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
Yes i'm sure, because i just watched the Ali roast, today. I never heard of him until i saw that roast. Hey, thanx 4 the great advice you gave me on how to ID some of the Roasters. The Monty Hall roast aired on Dec 14 1973. So i cheked the internet to see who was on the first half of the Variety Show that day - and it mentioned Allan Drake. So i googled him and his pic was an EXACT match for the guy who appeared at the Monty Hall roast.

nietseoj

Agent
Real Name
quag
I thought for sure, Time-Life would include them, too, but they didn't. In fact, in one of their booklets, (inside the DVD case) it says that Eve Arden appears as a Roaster on the Dickinson roast, but obviously, she didn't appear on that one, or the one released by Guthy. The Roast info provided by Guthy & Time-Life has always been sloppy and full of errors. So i decided to make my own list of Roasters. (see above & on Page 3)

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
From what Rich Little said the people who were left off actually bombed when they got up. So maybe it's better that those speeches aren't included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks