What's new

Dealers who advertise low price and don't ship product?? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
[There's a forum for this sort of thing, but I'm not sure if many go there...]

Anyone run into this? Could be a pre-order, or just a regular item. You know, they advertise a good price, you order, wait weeks, a month, no ship. You've missed all the low initial release prices if it was a pre-order. The dealer's price goes up...a lot up! Still no ship, though they say on web site only takes a few days to get stock. Waiting for me to give up and cancel the order? Can you blame me for being suspicious?

I think people should know if some place does this regularly. To attract business...you buy a couple other things from them to maybe make shipping worthwhile etc., but they never ship what really attracted you there in the first place...

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this is the wrong forum. Sorry, I've never had your experience. Which retailer are you talking about?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
[There's a forum for this sort of thing, but I'm not sure if many go there...]
And that justifies you deliberately posting in the wrong forum?

And to answer your question, I've neve had that probelm. Have you called the e-tailer you had a problem withand asked the status of your order?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, it *is* about software, and not that different from some other general posts that appear here, such as the currently active one about some retailers beating the release date.

In the "other" forum, if you ever went there, you'd know that names are always named. I am speaking generally, to avoid pointing fingers, as I knew this is not the place to do that, and I don't have all the facts (how can you possibly prove this? unless you wait for eternity...). You'd also know from that forum that poor communication (i.e. none at all) is possibly the #1 complaint about some e-tailers.

Don't worry, I'll name names when it's appropriate, in the appropriate place.:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Well, it *is* about software, and not that different from some other general posts that appear here, such as the currently active one about some retailers beating the release date.
Most of the threads in the Retail Vendors forum (where this has now been moved) are about software. That doesn't mean they belong in the Software Forum.

If you see a thread that you think is in the wrong forum, that doesn't mean that you, too, can post in the wrong forum. It means you should report that thread to a moderator. There's a handy little button at the top of every post to help automate the process.

M.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Michael: I saw Johnny jump off the bridge, so I wanted to too...

Johnny G, thanks for the link, didn't even notice they had that info before!

Yup, that e-tailer has done many times before exactly what I'm "accusing" them of doing. When they do come through, they do so in flying style. Such a huge disparity in service levels.

If I don't have the merch by the time I get the CC bill, I'll make a formal complaint with VISA. For me, VISA has always shot first and asked questions later, so getting my $$ back is no problem.

People should be aware that in Canada we do not have anywhere near the consumer protection legislation that the U.S. has. Of relevance are mail order and "computer crime" laws that the U.S. has. On the positive side, less laws means less lawyers. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You're really endearing yourself to me, Craig.

M.

(member of the New York Bar for 20 years)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks