What's new

Deadwood: Season Three (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so. Al was the show's bad guy until Tolliver came to town in the third episode and that was months before the show even aired. Al only becomes the anti-hero when you pit him against Tolliver, Wolcott or Hearst. He was the bad guy when he egged Bullock on and started a fight in the beginning of the second season. To me, Al acts the same way that he did from the beginning of the series. He's protecting the town that he built. Not because of loyalty or duty but because it's his.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
todd s said:
Phil, I agree about Al. He certainly has changed since the first season. I remember how vicious he was in the first few episodes of season 1. And wishing he would bite it soon. But, with the arrival of Cy. We see a different evil. Whereas Al is vicious. He is concerned about what the welfare of the camp. But, Cy couldn't give a crap. He could just pull up and leave.

I have to wonder if the writers/producers saw the popularity of Al. And maybe have made him less "evil"??

Al Isn't less evil it's just that we see his motivations and understand him as a character more now.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I agree with the idea that Al really hasn't changed but we have changed in that we see him differently. Maybe at one point he saw Bullock as the outsider threatening his way of life and the life of the Camp but now sees him as the insider he is and knows his heart lies in the camp as well. I think Al is sick of picking up stakes and moving further out of the reach of civilization and this is his last stand.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I liked Al pretty quickly, (if I remember) for what he added beyond his murderous nature. Sans the killings, he reminded me of someone I know ...who men loved and hated equally. I could understand him. His doppelganger I managed to be near uneventfully for years even though he was not known for allowing women in his inner circle. His temper was exact to Al’s, he could be disdainful of all around him, and enraged would verbally attack like a bolt of lightening out of clear skies. Like Al, fascinating and charismatic, but not for the faint of heart.

Seems like the first moment (I remember) the writers humanizing his motives..was in displaying the conflicted emotions and memories of his brother that the first Reverend evoked in Al.
Weirdly enough Al’s doppelganger (in my life) also has a disabled brother.

I waited to watch the Tivoed first episode till my husband returned from a trip. So watched both close together.
It was good to be back in Deadwood. I enjoyed both, however the husband felt the first was ‘off’ rhythm, I was just glad to see all the 'personalites' again. We both also feel (as others state) the time watching goes by too quickly. Both saying... “That's it, It’s already over!?”

I cracked up during Trixie’s and Starr’s exchange, something like:
Trixie: “Who the {..} do you think I was talking about!
Sol: “I thought you said you just went to take a {...}

Love all the bemused looks he gives her when she’s aggravated.
I could relate to just assuming my husband knows what track my brain is on at all times, even when I’m hitting switchbacks. :D

I am on Al’s cheerleading team to see Henry get his whatfor’s. It may be best ‘cold’ but I’m counting on being impressed by a Machiavellian large serving, none the less.

The actors who play Al & Bullock, amaze me repeatdly with the range and intensitiy of their eyes, more expressive than words....a talent effectively leveraged by the editing.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I love this show so much. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

My only gripe this season: when is Wu coming back? Swidgeon!

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Dave, just a reminder, discussion of the previews is supposed to be spoiler tagged. I watch the previews for this show, so it didn't bother me, but others do not and it's a forum rule. :)

LewB

Screenwriter
I have a question regarding the Doc.
Last season, when Sol was shot they got him liquored up before the surgery to remove the bullet. In this past episode, what looks like ether was administered to Alma before her procedure.
I was just wondering how the timeline works out, like when did ether start being used for surgery versus the period in time when Deadwood is set.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Also she's a Dope addict I would'nt think you'd give her anything that could spark the reoccurrance of an addiction, especially alchohol

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I would think Ether is just as addicting as dope (and there are addicts to both). That said, I think their respective procedures were very different. In Al's, doc needed him somewhat awake as he kept talking to him and telling him what was going on and if I recall was expecting Al to...well, do what he had to do when the time came. Alma's procedure was more surgery, like REAL surgery, even for Deadwood's age. That is some tough stuff. They didn't dope up the fat guy when they dug his bullets out, either. I think the ether is for the rare occasions like Alma's.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be picky, what Cochran gives Alma and Saul (as well as what Alma was addicted to) is Laudanum, not ether. It's a liquid form of Opium.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Laudanum was indeed what she was addicted to, but I am pretty sure it was ether that Trixie gave her and was supposed to turn her head away from so she did not pass out, too.

I guess it could also have been chloroform:
From Wikipedia "Chloroform was discovered in July, 1831 by American physician Samuel Guthrie (1782-1848)"

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator

well that might have been ether or chloroform, but before the surgery Cochran was telling her that she needed to take something (which was Laudanum) to relieve the pains she was having.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see Cynthia Ettinger from Carnivale, and it took me awhile to remember where Id seen the actress playing Aunt Lou before(Magnolia).

Loved Richardsons 2 thumbs up.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Aunt Lou looked to be a possibly very interesting addition. But that is part of the 'class' (forget, - all that language ? !! Deadwood does indeed have 'class.') The 'streets of' are riddled with interesting characters, every time they introduce a new one...they seem fully sprung completely-fleshed out, utterly envolving.

I don't want to loose Doc...love Doc...worried about Doc, shall always want to see him well and walking Deadwood, partially for his season ending, - last line... something like: "I'm as happy as a little forest creature"

Cannot believe Deadwood will not cont. for a few more seasons (if it maintains this level).

Each episode should run, at least 1 1/2 hr, to feel like the 'normal' range time you give up to less talented and more run of the mill offerings. Its over and it feels like 20 /30 min!

Favorite lite line: "Do you always tip your hat to every one?!"
"Everyone"

...it's nice Al has aquired a 'friend, crony, someone who pleases him to discourse with...in camp.
you never know what will roll in on the stagecoach.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Each episode should run, at least 1 1/2 hr"

This weeks FLEW by. I looked at the clock and was it was 9:45 and groaned becuase it meant only a few more minutes left.

Im loosing this but keeping Big Love,Rome and Lucky Louie???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks