What's new

Deadwood Episode 9 5/16/04 (1 Viewer)

CurtM

Grip
Swearengen kicking off an informal government tonight. Can't wait to see how Bullock tries to keep his temper on this one. We might get to see more of Jane tonight!

I found this paragraph about Ian McShane (Al Swearengen). "Swearengen is one of the greatest characters I've ever played," he says. "When you play the devil you always get great tunes to play. But his feelings are more than he wants to admit. He's deep. And he'll get deeper as he goes along. Like the rest of us, Al Swearengen is looking for more than f—— money in life."

This is just part of an article that I found today. It is quite enlightening. Read the whole article at: relayer.proboards30.com/index.cgi?board=actors&action=display&num=1082184008&start=0

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Al actually showed a shred of caring when he told Trixie - "Don't f'in try to off yourself again!". I almost shed a tear when I saw the outpouring of emotion from him :). EB as the mayor is a joke, and whether Bullock likes it or not his role will be with law enforcement sooner or later. The Reverend is just plain creeping me out - I'm not sure Doc will be able to help him or not. Another great show, with so much going on - I love Sunday night.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
So Bullock married his Dead Brothers Wife ( & Son)...
seems maybe more like a way to Take care of them than a marriage born out of Love

Looks like Jane may be leaving Deadwood ..Hope Not !

Poor Al has a murder charge hanging over his head ..Guess we know why he went to Deadwood
After him appearing to be the most Vile person on earth,the first few episodes,he seems more like a saint now more & more everytime we see Cy ..LOL brilliant on the part of the writers

Another great show !!

Heres a short synopsis of next weeks show

Episode 10 (Mr. Wu) sees Swearengen try to find common language with his supplier and navigate tricky waters in dealing with the mess left following an opium theft. Meanwhile, a bagman for the magistrate from Yankton arrives with bad news for Al; Bullock regrets having raised his hand at the government meeting; Merrick proposes Deadwood's first "club"; and an unwelcome Reverand Smith gravitates to the Gem and its new piano. 2002

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Al is great. I love when he walks into the hardware store. Tells them about the meeting. And then just blurts out how f-ing great the store looks.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Jane really seemed to come into her own in this episode. As irascible and boorish as she is, how can you not love her? Her scenes with the reverend and Charlie were simultaneously poignant and uproariously funny.

One minor quibble: I wish the show would steer clear of the "will he, won't he, does she, doesn't she?," romantic intrigue. Seth should stay the hell away from Alma, Charlie would be swallowed alive by Joanie, and Sol and Trixie? Yikes.

I do enjoy a good romance, but think it is incidental, not integral to the show.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
love this show, have enjoyed every episode so far...Acting is top-notch especially swearengen and jane, powers booth really came into his own last week as well...one thought...has anyone else wondered how Swearengen became so funny and all after the first couple of episodes? If i remember correctly, he was pretty damn evil and now seems to be a lot different. I wonder if the writers realized that such a big character needs to have some redeeming qualities for people to keep watching?

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I was thinking the same thing. It is almost like they are making Al evil for business sakes, but has a small conscience. Whereas Sy is just plain evil.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I loved the bit where Johnny asks Al if its ok to mention his "promotion" to Dan with Dan standing right there... "No keeping him in the f**king dark about it"

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I think Al has always been this way, he was funny in the first few episodes but we didn't know him yet so he was just an @sshole. Sy is evil but is he right about Eddie? Are Joannie and Trixie the hookers with the heart of gold?

"I just fled my office in horror....."

Great episode.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Another great episode.

Cy is definitely a different sort of evil than Al. Al seems to have a few redeeming qualities while Cy is more purely evil.

Al is a civic leader :D , even if it is only to protect and further his own interests.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Although I would have expected Cy and/or Mr. Wu to have the clothes removed from the kids before they were fed to the pigs, the image of the girls dress in the corner of the pig sty was powerfully sad.

I'll miss this show while it's between seasons.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
All good points about Swearengen vs. Cy and their evilness...Good point Jeremiah about Al being funny the first couple of episodes..i haven't seen them since they first aired so i'll have to check them out next time they run the season. Don't get me wrong, i really love the Swearengen character, glad he's got some good in him and he's funny as hell...How many times do you all think he's said "co$&sucker" this season? We need a tally going. Instead of the "dead count" on hbo.com they should have the "co$%sucker" count. :)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Great episode.

This has been a great few months with The Sopranos and Deadwood on together. A night of TV that will probably not happen again. Al just steals the show everytime he is on screen.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
actually, i keep a C U Next Tuesday count in my head every episode. if there's a swear word that gets rarely used on cable or in movies, it's that one. the one show where i know it's been used is the Sopranos, but one of the early episodes of Deadwood(#3?) used that one word more than the Sopranos probably has throughout five seasons.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
This show is consistently great. We're really getting to know these characters. When the show began I thought it was going to focus on Seth Bullock as the main character, but instead it has become one hell of an ensemble show. Just about every character had at least one good scene in this episode.

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
"Farnum is the mayor."

"How horrifying." :D

"We have to form a government."
"Who?"
"You and me. It came to me in a vision. You stupid bastard."

"If I bleep when I talk it's because I just got fucking fleeced." :D

God, I love this show.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I thought that at first, then realized that 'bleat' is even funnier, thus what he actually said.

John_VI

Second Unit
Swearingen is the best!! He suffers fools poorly, and can always be counted on the boil any situation down to the three most relevant curse words. I wonder how Sol may be endangering himself by trying to get close to Trixie? Al will not take kindly to that, I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks