What's new

Deadwood Ep 10, 5/23/2004: Mr. Wu (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
The Preacher has a tumor in his brain, that is causing him to lose his mind. He was getting on my nerves also, but now that he has somewhat of a reason for his behavior I don't mind him that much anymore.

"Right yourself a note and hang it over your good eye." lol.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Are you referring to the Reverend, Ted? The one with the seizures and who is now forgetting things?

If so, the gentle soul has a brain tumor (diagnosed by Doc), with no hope of recovery. So the tumor is causing seizures, memory loss, physical problems (his walk) and probably his loss of faith.

Quite touching in the end when he again was able to discern his friends.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Ironic, on the night that Adrianna is offed on The Sopranos, the exchange between the priest and the proprietors of the hardware store jerked a tear loose.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
The Diagnosis:

“I wouldn't surprise if you had a lesion in your g****ned head, and that's what's givin you the seizures and... generatin your chats with the g***amn divinity.
No g***mn offense inteneded.”

—Doc Cochran to Reverend Smith

The 'are you demons' or are you my friends scene was pitiful. Bullock and Stars reaction to the detoriating Rev, had me by the throat. I fear the tumor will not be what gets Reverend Smith in the end however, but mayhap the tumor will make whatever occurs more acceptable.

Al needs to trump the hardware guys and loan what he calls that "g**am piano" to the Pastors tent. He detests it currently anyway!

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Me too. The Rev is one of the truly decent souls in Deadwood. It seems the evil that permeates Deadwood eats away at the few good people turning them greedy, desperate, or hard and the one man who managed to resist being twisted is broken by his own brain. I hope his passing is swift and painless... but I don't think that will happen. Al should do the right thing and give the Rev some of the next opium shipment to help ease his suffering... and yeah, the piano.

My esteem to Mssrs. Bullock and Star for lighting a small candle in the Rev's ever-darkening world.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite moments was with the Doc and Al, when Al asks about Trixie's spirits. Doc says something to the effect of "It's not my job to judge people's spirits." The contempt he has for both Al's abusive treatment and Trixie's pitiful self-imprisonment into that lifestyle seeped through the screen.

John_VI

Second Unit
Well, I've completed my second viewing of this wonderful episode, and I have come to report on what I'll refer to as "The Profanity Index". Please remember that these numbers may not be 100% accurate, as it was sometimes difficult to keep up!! Also, I've only counted the occurances during the actual episode (from the end of the opening credits to the beginning of the closing credits), a total of 50 minutes.

Finally, please forgive my use of the actual words below. They are included only for journalistic accuracy. :)

Bullshit = 1
Jesus Christ = 1
Motherfucker = 2
Cunt = 2
Cocksucker = 38
Fuck/Fucker/Fucked/Fucking = 121

Curse words per minute = 3.3

Most occurances (or any derivation thereof) of the word "fuck" in a single sentence: 5, by the hooplehead Leon in the bath house.

Whew!! I'm fucking exhausted!!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John. One of the great things about this place is getting these kinds of stats gratis.

‘Why don’t you change that to ‘free gratis’?’

‘That would be redundant—gratis means free’

‘Then just write fuckin’ free.’

Gotta' love the editoral help. :)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
"One of the great things about this place is getting these kinds of stats gratis.
:D great moment during Al's PR plague control efforts.

MR VI, 121 ? Really?!!!!

I can’t believe I’m endorsing this show. But I have to say the “Profanity Index” in Deadwood is partially what cracks me up….(she admits it and is going to hell in a handbasket).

…and I really truly am against this stuff…….honest…normally..at all times. But I love Deadwood, index and all.
HBO IS THE DEVIL.

There was a linguist who commented that modern America was ruining cursing by blatant overuse till shortly any profanity will have the equivalent impact of ‘darn’. Commiserating that men will have nothing left to turn to during moments of high passion, when some expletive outlet is necessary.
…and this before Deadwood.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Ironic, on the night that Adrianna is offed on The Sopranos

Ok... I really didn't expect to read a Deadwood thread and have a Sopranos plotline ruined for me. Haven't gotten around to watching the episode yet.

Other than that, this was probably my favorite, and the funniest episode of Deadwood so far. It just gets better and better.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I am so glad that I stayed tuned after Sopranos and saw the first episode. Deadwood has reeled me in, just like the first episode of The Sopranos did in January 1999.

The profanity doesn't bother me. It's a part of the setting. It makes the place more real.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i buy into the profanity, but my fiancee doubts they really talked like that back then. she doesn't believe they swore to that extent back then.

does anyone have any facts to confirm or deny that???

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I have no reason to doubt it.

We're lucky that smellovision hasn't been invented. Because it was bad enough that Al wanted to burn his place down.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Quite touching in the end when he again was able to discern his friends."

That was a great scene - every scene this guy is in is good. Its too bad he'll be gone.

John_VI

Second Unit
My greatest fears if Smellyvision ever becomes a reality:

"I just shit myself."

"Who cut the cheese?!"

"It smells like cat piss in here."

Any scene in the vicinity of Wu's pig pen.

Every person on that show (with the possible exception of Mrs. Garrett and Joanie Stubbs) must just reek to high heaven!!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
….or Hannibal
Pigs are omnivorous, and can be very nimble, speedy and formidable. Wild boars will kill a dog or human if in the mood . 25 min.outside of Dallas Ft Worth, (9th largest city in the United States) my friends Husband was minding his own business crossing a tiny bridge in Poetry Texas. A wild boar ran in front of his full size suburban, I don’t think he even killed it, but it almost killed him. The Suburban had to be towed, damage was incredible.

Never underestimate the power of pigs

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Who plays Joanie, and who played Flora? They both looked familiar, but the actress playing Joanie might just remind me of Cheryl Hines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks