What's new

Deadwood Ep 10, 5/23/2004: Mr. Wu (1 Viewer)

John_VI

Second Unit
I'm surprised that no one has started this thread by now. Anyway....

I really liked this episode a lot. It marked the return of the somewhat sinister Al and the continued emergence of the totally evil Cy Tolliver. You have to wonder how much time the Minister has left (not much), and how long it will be until we meet Seth Bullock's wife and child (if ever).

I guess Jane is gone, leaving Deadwood at the end of Episode 9. Too bad, I really liked her character.

Love the writing and acting in this episode, and in the series as a whole. Ian McShane is just wonderful.

And I'm going to watch this episode again to do a "cocksucker" count. My guess is 50, but I suspect I might have undercalled it!!

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Funniest episode of the season! I was crying laughing when that dope fiend crapped his pants. LOL!!!! Al rules. Where can I get myself some Al Swearigen long-johns? Seriously anyone know? :D

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The "conversation" between Al & Mr. Wu was hilarious!
"I'm glad I taught you that word" :laugh: & making the dope fiend jump off the balcony was great.

I think the difference between Al & Cy is that for Al killing or beating people is a purely business decision, whereas Cy would kill someone for pleasure.

Jane will be back I think, her absence is just temporary. At least historically she was still in Deadwood many years later.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Another great episode ..I loved it !

Just a reminder ..No Deadwood Next Sunday (May 30) :frowning:

But it returns the following week June 6

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Great episode. Al is my favorite. When he forced the fiend to not only toss himself off the balcony and then stay in the mud until he got there, I was laughing so hard I almost fell off the couch.

With Al it's all business. Let's not forget, the fiends killed that courier. Plus, Al's the only one to give any sort of respect to Wu.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Al's "I'm glad I taught you that word" to Wu was frickin priceless. It was interesting to see Al so compassionate(well, for Al) to the Reverend. I think Al's brother was the same way. But, it was nice how they ended it with Seth and Sol making the Reverend aware of who they were and taking the time to be with him.

ps-For a town full of entrepeneurs. You would think one of them would open a restaurant. ;)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Wouldn't it be fun to be the Proprietor of the first clean Restaurant in Deadwood? Feature killer beer biscuits sans a sprinkinling of vermim, just to draw them in, and see what they get up to every day.

Astonished more men I know have not discovered this HBO series,..what with all the nudity, violence, cursing and drinking! :)

I am hooked by the subtleties of charter development in this show. I started the first episode predictably attracted to Seth Bullock and utterly repelled by Al Swearingon. Attempting to understand Clamitys drunken ramblings and figuring out what kind of “doc” Doc was.

Deadwood is reminding that sinners whom commit evil have often-poignant motivations for their lamentable actions created by deepset desires and scarred pasts.

It’s the “Oh the…” humanity churned into this lawless quagmire of a tale relating a bit of early America’s unsavory past that has me captivated.

Jane, HAS to return to Deadwood!!!. I’ve got her syntax and speech rhythm nailed now. And have found after many episodes, that any scene, which includes Jane, Al or Doc Cochran, is the pay dirt ore gleaming in the dank earthiness of this series

What a cast! And what an excellent capability the writer and cast performances have to explore beyond the surface of broadly painted paper legends attempting to engage our ability to relate. Drawing us to contemplate the breathing reality of men out of legend with possible suggestions of the personalities which may have existed behind the myths.

Hickoks weariness with carrying the heavy load of his reputation.
“..”cause he can’t be something he tries to be every G**Day without once getting to dinnertime and f*cking it up….I don’t want to fight it anymore, understand me Charlie?”
Jane’s drunken bravado. “You think I’m scared of you?”
Doc, who sees/knows the most distasteful aspects of human interaction and is driven at minimum to ‘Do no harm’ while attempting to stay out of gun sights during conflicts between the major players in town. Occasionally berating town individuals with a lighting strike of rage that illuminates the hard facts of Deadwoods existence with a clear call for compassionate understanding. “I see more misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm”
Al Swearingon: a dark and nefarious soul and the weekly appeal of watching the tired grim humor with which he tidies up his own life. “one vile f**king task after another”.

More than gold “rushes” in Deadwood as it draws us forward through the weeks constantly playing upon viewers emotions with sometimes surprising reverse evolutions. Was anyone else feeling an initial creepiness towards Rev. Smith’s fanatical and bizarre walk of faith in Deadwood's earlier episodes? Now (like Doc), I have become angered by the dim future, which is in store for that simple but gentle man of the cloth.

Jane holding up the alley wall last week, - was a classic.

Hoping it will print to DVD shortly after the first season closes. I have a friend whom in broad strokes reminds me (during his rampage moments) of the wickedly charismatic Al Swearingon. He does not subscribe to HBO, I need to gift him a set. He would definitely appreciate the character of Al.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
This show has quickly become my new favorite behind the Sopranos.

Al making the fiend jump off the balcony about killed me with laughter last night.

It is amazing how this show is popular, but still finding an audience.

I started out watching the first 3 episodes by myself. I always have friends over to my apartment on Sunday nights for the Sopranos. They used to all leave after the Sopranos ended and I remember asking if anyone wanted to stay for the premier of Deadwood.

Finally, one of them stayed for the 4th episode, got hooked, and spread the word. Now everyone stays for Deadwood and loves it.

Last week, they all wanted me to start the season from the beginning on my DVR so we were all basically up all night watching the season over. I cannot wait for the DVDs of this show.

I hope they use a unique packaging for this show, it would fit it well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think this show is just great. my fiancee commented about how the show could be better with just "a little more swearing..." :laugh:

the cast and production value of this show are just amazing. i really hope the show keeps up the pace.

you can already see that al's choice to give up a whitey to mr wu may become a problem.

damn c**ksuckers!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Doc is the character who is the most changed from my initial perception. When we first see him he seems like a heartless quack who is under the control of Al. But, he has turned out to be a man who knows his job and is willing to go against Al to protect people.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I forget the exact words but Al's comment to the courier was great:

[Courier takes off hat]
Al: "Get a haircut", "Did your mama fvck a monkey or what?"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, every episode has been a winner. I'm almost afraid for another season because I can't imagine keeping up this level of quality.

The image of Wu yelling reprimanding the "c***sucker!" while sliding his thumb across his throat was priceless. I hope they explore the Chinese community of Deadwood more.

It looks like Al has recruited that messenger guy to work with, if not for, him through sheer force of personality. And I second his recommendation to Farnum for finding another tailor.

I'm guessing that this opium thing will get tangled up with with Eddie and Joanie's ensuing conflict with Cy and Cy will lose, establishing Joanie as the premier madame of Deadwood.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Great fuking show! Man, this show is just awesome in every way and I agree with pretty much everyones thoughts.

It was the funniest episode so far and it had me laughing my @ss off. It seems the only people who are Al's equal are also his enemies Sy, Seth, Saul, and the Doc.

"Bring him up."
"Should I take him outside and bring him up through the back?"
"Bring him the fuk up!"

LMAO.

Eddie better watch it, I think Sy will catch him.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Cy will never catch Eddie, as long as he's got that Ricky Jay prestidigitation mojo working for him. Seriously, I would love to see some magic and slight-of-hand from Eddie, because I find his character a bit boring.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the nascent "men's club" movement. What a motley crew that is.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
btw, what's the deal with the priest? i gotta admit he's kinda gettin' on my nerves. i wonder what'll happen to the poor guy...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks