What's new

Deadwood: Cancelled (?) (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the kind words Mary. Naturally we may all differ on the quality of any particular series. My point was (perhaps not expressed all that well) that Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue are generally considered by critics to be outstanding examples of drama and TV. And Hill Street Blues is especially noteworthy for helping pave the way for several techniques that are now in common use, one of which, the single episode in a day, that helps to give Deadwood its character.

Both shows now look a little tame compared to The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Streets, but they did a lot to move the ‘gritty’ style of drama forward (Andy Sipowicz, much mellowed be the series end, began as an absolute piece of work, not at all something usual for a main character.

None of this necessarily might appeal to you, but I think that Milch has a track record that would get me to give any new show he created more than a passing chance.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Lew,
You are, - as always (99.9% ;) ) correct. Before my last post I completely grasped the point you elaborate.
I am suffering a fit of pique, which causes me to be currently disgruntled with the creator deserting my (only) personally preferenced viewing choice amongst his body of work. Therefore was hammering home that groundbreaking and talent does not equate to all viewers (via taste) weighting the ‘body of’ (or granting forgiviness) in equal measure.

I agree (in theory :D ) he has broken ground in prior offerings and might in future
(it will be a cold day in hell :laugh: ) offer up something new to stir my interests comparable to DEADWOOD.

Brent T

Second Unit
Deadwood TV Movies Update
Deadwood creator David Milch talks about the status of the upcoming HBO movies.

January 24, 2007 - Deadwood fans were crushed last summer to learn the HBO series was ending after only three seasons, and without a real series finale - When the third season completed production, the producers and actors assumed they'd be returning for another year, so the story was left open ended. HBO eventually announced they'd reached a deal with Deadwood creator David Milch to do two TV movies, to allow Milch the opportunity to properly finish the story. Not a lot has been heard since on the films, as Milch has begun production on his new HBO series, John From Cincinnati.

However, at the recent TCA (Television Critics Association) Press Tour, Milch was on hand to promote John, and the topic of Deadwood came up. Said Milch, "I spent a significant portion of yesterday in collaboration with Evan Wright, who's a wonderful writer, with whom I'm doing the first of the two Deadwood two-hour films. And we're very optimistic about the outcome of that work, and it's our intention that just the moment that we complete production on John From Cincinnati to begin work on that."

After the Q&A for John From Cincinnati, I was among a group of press who asked Milch a bit more about the Deadwood films. Milch seemed somewhat hesitant to say the films would be happening for sure, musing that, "There are imponderables in every undertaking. But I can tell you that I'm gonna have a pretty good script set in 1879, if they don't do it!"

However, Milch did confirm, "We have contracts, we have the set, we're doing the script." Asked what he felt could go wrong to stop the project, Milch explained there were no specifics he was concerned about, but that he felt anything could happen in general, saying, "How about a bomb? I've had 7 angioplasties. There's plenty that can go wrong."

Asked if the cast have been contracted to return, Milch answered, "That's been done. I don't know if every one of them is available, because to some extent it's contingent on the shooting. But I know that Ian [McShane] has differed; he's engaged to do a Broadway play. He's differed it for two months, to be available [for Deadwood] in the late summer, early fall. We have every intention of going forward."

I asked Milch if Gerald McCraney's character George Hearst might return in the films, considering he left town in the third season finale. "I wouldn't be surprised to see him," Milch coyly answered.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/758/758320p1.html

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
interesting. The last I heard was from W. Earl Brown a few months ago on the HBO forums when he said that Milch was working on scripts for this summer of shooting and a release in summer '08. I had not heard that the actors had signed contracts and I am curious to see exactly who is coming back and who is not.

I guess it is just for one movie and not the second, which means it will be a long time before we see an end to the story.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
what does that mean: Ian McShane has differed. Milch can't even speak American in the current vernacular zeitgeist.
;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Production has begun on the "Deadwood" revival movie, written by series creator David Milch and directed by Daniel Minahan, who'd directed four episodes of the original series.

HBO PR said:
HBO FILMS’ “DEADWOOD” MOVIE BEGINS PRODUCTION
Production has begun in Los Angeles on HBO Films’ “Deadwood” movie, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO Programming. Continuing the story begun in David Milch’s critically acclaimed, Emmy®-winning HBO series, the feature-length presentation is written by Milch, directed by Daniel Minahan and features original cast members from the series.

In the “Deadwood” film, the indelible characters of the series are reunited after ten years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

Returning cast members for the “Deadwood” movie include: Ian McShane (Al Swearengen), Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock), Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst). The film will also feature new cast member Jade Pettyjohn (Caroline).

During its three-season, 36-episode run on HBO from 2004 to 2006, the “Deadwood” series was nominated for 28 Primetime Emmy® Awards, winning eight, including Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Walter Hill), and also received a Golden Globe Award for Best Performer by an Actor in a Television Series — Drama (Ian McShane).

The “Deadwood” film is executive produced by David Milch, Carolyn Strauss, Daniel Minahan, Gregg Fienberg, Scott Stephens, Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant; directed by Daniel Minahan; written by David Milch.

Follow @HBOPR for more news and information.

1*6CXYDyc5-6slTesHG3rFTg.jpeg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Random Deadwood rewatch-note:

I think you should be allowed to retire with some sort of full WGA pension once you write an exchange as good as the bit where the Doc asks Jane about a bender, and she says, yeah, I been drinking, what the fuck is it to you? And he comes back with, "The question was well meant. Like if you was a farmer, I'd ask you how the farming was going."

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just binged the entire DEADWOOD series over the last 10 days after owning the blu ray set since 2011!

Suffice it to say I thought the show was FUCKING brilliant and can’t wait for the upcoming film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just binged the entire DEADWOOD series over the last 10 days after owning the blu ray set since 2011!

Siffice it to say I thought the show was FUCKING brilliant and can’t wait for the upcoming film.

Whatever you say, cocksucker. :rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks