What's new

Dead Like Me cancelled (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Another ESPN HD channel (which mostly does not broadcast in HD) and VSGolf Channel, a hybrid devoted to (mostly not HD) golf, "extreme" (non) sports and bullriding. (WTF????) Naturally, I'm thrilled. All of this as part of an effort to standardize Comcast's channel line-up across the country. (They also changed nearly all of the channel numbers, since Comcast uses blocks of channel numbers to organize its offerings. HD channels are all in the 400s, for instance, while Spanish language channels and premium cable channels occupy other blocks.)

When they did the cut-over I had to reprogram all of my recordings on my cable-company HD-DVR, since Comcast's box, now running Comcast's software, was incapable of dealing with the fact that my "every episode" (a poor man's "Season Pass") recording of, say, House now had to point to a different channel. Adelphia changed channel assignments sometimes, too, but never en masse like that. When they did, my old SD TiVo boxes had no trouble automatically resetting my season passes based on the new channel line-up info Adelphia sent them. But Comcast couldn't manage to get the same to itself and make it work. :)

(On the other hand, they are supposed to be rolling out a new DVR service based on TiVo software in my area come July or August, which I'm hoping will make my life a lot easier. In the meantime I send them an e-mail about once a month with a list of HD channels I'd like them to get, and several I'd like to see them drop. :))

Regards,

Joe

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's not part of this discussion, but I should note that when I say HDNet has no further episodes schedule, I merely mean that none are showing up on my DVR's search. If they are scheduled more than a couple of weeks out, it will do that. Still, I've missed the pilot and a couple others, so I'd rather not keep watching them on HDNet and just get the DVDs.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
INHD.

It isn't really a matter of replacing, though. When Comcast acquires a network, like all other major, profitable, cable companies, they convert the acquisition over to their standard array of services. This is how they stay in business and stay highly profitable, fulfilling their responsibility to their owners.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
They're (finally) showing the first season of Dead Like Me here in New Zealand, and I am really loving it. Great show.

Anyway, I thought I would highlight a short extract from this article from Home Media Magazine about MGM's new direct-to-video division:So that's an intriguing prospect - new Dead Like Me as a feature length direct-to-DVD. According to the SciFi Wire, it will be written by Stephen Godchaux. But will they keep the cast?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I hope this will be an extension and continuation of the series, but the description is ambiguous and this could be a remake or adaptation of the story to a self-contained film. (A la the Harrison Ford Fugitive.) Most of the other projects mentioned seemed to be remakes or spin-offs, rather than revivals of past projects.

Still, we'll have to see.

Among the early first projects approved for Warner Bros. direct-to-disc division was Baylon 5: The Lost Tales, which is envisioned as a series of releases, with each disc containing up to three 20 minute "short stories" set in the B5 universe, each focusing on one or two original characters and some new ones. (The first disc, consisting of two related 45 minute stories has been delivered to the studio and is due for release at the end of July.)

Universal has been planning a stand-alone Battlestar Galactica movie as one of its first D2D offerings, but I'm not sure what the status of that project is now.

If MGM is considering a one-shot, or even a few "TV movies" to continue or wrap up the story, they should have a decent chance of getting the original cast. Even Mandy Patinkin might return if they shoot while Criminal Minds is on hiatus. He seemed to have genuinely liked doing the show and developing his character, so he might welcome the chance to try that role on again, even if the money isn't huge and he has to squeeze the work in between other projects.

I'll be interested in seeing how this story develops.

Regards,

Joe

Real Name
Thomas Stewart
To be honest I'll watch the DEAD LIKE ME movie no matter what its about or who's in it. But I really hope its not a "reimagining" or something like that, I mean atleast have it be a sequel or a spin-off with a couple of the old characters (or atleast mentions of the characters). Although I would actually be happy if the who Joy storyline was forgotten (or kept to a minimum)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'd like to see them explorer George's rather unusual relationship with the gravelings, and find out how much Rube knows (or suspects) about it. And find out more about Rube himself and his rather mysterious past. The problem with using the original cast is that Reapers do not, by definition, age. They stay the age they were when they died. And there's a limit to what can be done to realistically hide the difference time makes. Ellen Muth just turned 27 and even 4 years ago she was playing a character younger than her actual years. I haven't seen her lately, so I don't how much of a problem this might be in her case. (Or anyone else's for that matter, although I'd say Rube remains timeless. :))

Regards,

Joe

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Because she has not worked since DLM and seems to have no more interest in show biz.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I just came across a reference to this page, which has audition details for lots of projects, including the Dead Like Me movie.

The big news: no Rube, new character called Calvin as head reaper, they're recasting Daisy (no! I really like Laura Harris), but other than that sounds like everyone is present. John Masius wrote the script.

The actual casting notice is in the spoiler box, because it has quite a bit of detail about the plot: (Montreal, Canada) - Send photographs & resumes ASAP to: Paul Weber Casting, MGM Tower / 2nd flr., Ste. 2060, 10250 Constellation Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90067. Title: DEAD LIKE ME. CAST, Ellen Muth, Callum Blue, Britt McKillit, Jasmine Guy, Cynthia Stevenson; PROD, Hudson Hickman, Craig Rossler, Sara Berrisford; DIR, Steven Herek; SCR, John Masius. Contract: Union. Shoot Dates (for this role): July 3, 2007 (in Montreal, Canada). STORY: When Calvin Kane, a slick businessman who couldn't care less about helping the newly dead, takes over Rube's Head Reaper duties, all hell breaks loose, bringing out the worst in Daisy, Roxy, and Mason. George, however, is determined to set her latest, botched reap right, especially because the boy who was supposed to die, Hudson Hart, is her little sister Reggie's secret boyfriend. In the process, George and Reggie re-connect for real, for the first time. Breakdown-- Daisy: Late 20s-Early 30s, Caucasian, preferably blonde, pretty and spoiled. She's an actress who died in the 1930s, supposedly on a set fire during the filming of "Gone With the Wind." Despite her somewhat immoral and solipsistic world-view, Daisy can be charming, extremely likeable and generous when the mood strikes her. To Mason's jealousy and annoyance, Daisy immediately falls for Calvin, the new Head Reaper, who helps Daisy secure an understudy role in the play "After the Fall." Of course, being an understudy will not do for Daisy, and she deliberately injures the lead actress so she can take over the part. However, the stress of performing every night proves too much for Daisy, and she begins drinking heavily -- even during performances. Her love affair with Calvin sours quickly after that, and Daisy realizes, along with Mason and Roxy, that slacking on her reaper duties has been her true downfall. NAMES PREFERRED. Lead. (Posted: June 20, 2007)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sucks, no Rube & recasting Daisy, big mistake. The character interaction, especially between Rube & Georgia is what made this so great.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I doubt there was much choice in either case: Patinkin, though perhaps freed himself from Criminal Minds, probably has little interest in playing Rube again. And Laura Harris has been keeping herself suitably busy, and also probably didn't give the producers a choice.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking a bit more about this, and the loss of Rube, while very disappointing, is probably not as serious as I thought. George's relationship with Rube almost as a father-figure was essential to the show - but a lot of that was because she was still a new reaper, learning the ropes. She needed Rube to guide her. Now, she's got a few more years of experience, she doesn't need that father figure anymore. So it makes sense to get rid of Rube - either Rube just becomes "the guy that gives out the Post-Its" which would be a shame for the character, or we bring in a new head reaper who can bring new issues to the group (as it sounds like he will be doing, from the plot description).

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Maybe they can get Patinkin to do a hand-off to the new head reaper as a cameo, like they have done on Dr. Who in the past.

I also wonder if they can pass off the new Daisy as a reversion to her true self because the last person who could have recognised her had died.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Part of the problem, though, is that I don't feel that Muth can carry the show, and truly, all the other characters are supporting players. Without Rube, it really comes down to the replacement taking over the show, and other than Doctor Who, that is not typically very successful.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
That could work - except that we know we see George and Mason as they were, not as they are seen by everyone else. But it would explain why Daisy's reflection is exactly the same as we see her.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
didn't she have zero acting experience before the show? so why would anyone be worried about her acting? it probably won't change much from the series :P

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
From the IMDB:
"Her awards include Best Actress at the AFI for The Young Girl and the Monsoon (1999) and best supporting actress at the Japanese Film Festival for Dolores Claiborne (1995)."

I got the idea she wasn't working because she did not have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks