What's new

Dead Like Me cancelled (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Why dont networks do finale episodes? Wouldnt it be nice to have a final episode to tie up loose ends? Id feel a little more at ease and less pissed off.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Mandy Patinkin remarks on the commentary track for the pilot episode something to the effect of;

"you know, the producers said those little gravelings shots are, . . like $100k a pop?"

and awed murmurs ensued from the rest of the cast.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
Are the effects the reason they stopped showing the places the souls walked to when they left? They had them for almost every death in Season 1 and then absolutely none in Season 2.

They could've always just asked the writers to tone down the use of gravelings, or had them do most of their stuff off camera, I'm sure there's a way they could have worked it out instead of just cancelling it.

Plus it's kicking Huff's ass in the ratings, and that's already been greenlit for a second season.

To quote Buffy: Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I think The Graveling "Ray" used most of their shots this season. I must say, most of his appearances could've been skipped over. I wouldnt have minded as long as I couldve had a few extra episodes.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Just found this at www.tvguide.com

However I still think that unless they get it on HBO (or maybe a DVD-only release?) the show is better off dead - a watered-down, castrated "network version" of the show is nothing I'd want to see.

I can just see the meeting with Fox, UPN or SciFi:

"Do they have to be dead?"

"What about a laugh-track?"

"Let's add Ted McGinley to the show."

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Don't be so sure that a "safe" version of DLM wouldn't be great. Shows like Farscape and Stargate SG1 have done great on cable networks which have commercials and have more PC policies. Buffy and Angel were on one of the regular on-air networks for heaven's sake. It can be done. And not just because we'd all know what Daisy really meant, having seen the first two critically acclaimed and popular seasons.

One more comment: The bit about the cost of the show being high. Remember the arse at Showtime who decided it was weighing the cost of DLM against the crop of brand new shows which have no assurance of being as popular, but have the advantage of being cheaper since they're not yet popular. We can only hope that instant karma gets that guy and all his new cheaper shows turn out to be duds.

Showtime = HBO plus boxing. Never saw the point of that network.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Actually, HBO has decent boxing.. Showtime is HBO, minus the specials, big name series, mini series and original documentaries of HBO.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'd love it if it came on a cable network, especially one with a good track record and a willingness to let some gore and a "shit" or three get through (i.e. F/X). There's no nudity to speak of, and I wouldn't mind even if they had to get rid of saying "fuck".

On the other hand, they show HD movies in OAR, they've had some pretty good original movies (If These Walls Could Talk), series ("Dead Like Me", "The L Word"), and they have some killer specials lined up (the musical remake of "Reefer Madness", with original cast members including Kristen Bell of "Veronica Mars").

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I just ran a search on Friendster to see how many people in the country listed Dead Like Me as their favorite show, and the result was beyond the ability to Friendster to report. It came in over 1,000 fans, which maxes out the result (they only return 1,000 search requests).

If only they could all sign the petition, we'd probably have a few thousand more sigs instantly.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good news -- TV Guide is reporting that the WB is seriously considering picking up the show!!!

One of their columns gives a snail mail address for the WB:

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Sorry, but that is very bad news.

Can you imagine the show on the WB?

New theme song by some pop-rock band?
"Sanitized" language and plots?
Make-over for Ellen Muth?
Guest appearences by "hot new bands"?

That's a fate worse than cancellation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You're overreacting. MGM would still be producing it. I doubt that WB would change it that much (and if they did, then the producers probably wouldn't agree to the deal).

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator

Say it ain't so!!! :frowning:

That's such a great show!!! Those Showtime exec's are fools to cancel such a great show. I was actually considering about possibly subscribing to Showtime just for that show, but now they can forget it! I'm sticking to HBO and Starz! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks