What's new

DDD 20% Off Sale? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Bernie: I'm missing your point. The film was intended to be matted widescreen. So, widescreen is the way it was intended to be seen, right?

I'm not even sure, but is the FS release the full image or pan-and-scan? If it is the full-image as shot by the director are you using mattes when you watch it?

And does any of that have something to do with Jack's order of the FS Star Wars? I think you'll find that even at the HTF, it is understood that people have the freedom to choose the presentation of their choice...there are just a lot of strong opinions about topics like aspect ratios and a number of other things.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Did the codes expire?? I live in California and it is now 10:45 PM and the site is not accepting any of the codes. Anyone else has the same problem??

MatS

Screenwriter
^ DDD is in Illinois so it would be 12:45 central time
so, yes likely the sale is over

John Stockton

Second Unit
If that is the case, then it is very unprofessional of DDD. They know damn well that a lot of people in the US live in the Pacific time zone. I spent the last 4 hours finalizing my selection only to end up getting screwed. :angry: :angry: :angry:

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
My First Order...

SIX FEET UNDER-3RD SEASON $ 47.91
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA-1ST SEASON $ 32.55
ALFRED HITCHCOCK-MASTERPIECE COLLE $ 69.12
OFFICE-1ST SEASON $ 17.27
DRAWN TOGETHER-1ST SEASON $ 14.51

My Second...

STRICTLY BALLROOM (CS) $ 7.48
CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS $ 7.48
SCRUBS-2ND SEASON $ 22.31
UNDECLARED-COMPLETE SERIES $ 23.92
THUNDERCATS-1ST SEASON V.01 $ 36.27
BATMAN-MOTION PICTURE ANTHO $ 41.50

Everything shipped already, so I should have it sometime around Thanksgiving Weekend.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I ordered 3 items at about 4:00 a.m. on Thursday. They still show "In Process" on my order status page.

I'm trying to remember if they switch the status to shipped a few days after they ship my items. I think that's what happened with my first order with them (judging by the postmark, they shipped it a few days before they updated my status to "shipped" on the webpage).

I'm not impatient or anything. I just want to make sure that everything went through OK. I'm just thinking that maybe they're really busy and they haven't had the chance to update order status pages.

Anyone know how DDD works?

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES (LBX) IN PROCESS 1 $41.58
GARFIELD HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS IN PROCESS 1 $8.26
WILDBOYZ-2ND SEASON IN PROCESS 1 $15.60
TOKYO OLYMPIAD (CRITERION) IN PROCESS 1 $23.00

Shipping: $0.00
Order Total: $88.44

Never order last minute. Anyway, I'd gamble they'll throw another sale in the summer. You'll get your next chance. Just be happy with what you ordered, I still haven't even watched all the DVDs I bought from the last sale!

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
This sale is great, espcially for TV shows. My girlfriend bought me the X-Files mythologies that are out for Christmas, and I got her a couple things as well, my total order:

GILMORE GIRLS-1ST SEASON BACKORDER $34.54
THE DIRTY DOZEN IN PROCESS $5.76
BATMAN BEGINS (WS) IN PROCESS $13.67
PENN & TELLER-BS SEASON 2 IN PROCESS $18.44
BACK TO THE FUTURE COMPLETE TRILOGY (WS) IN PROCESS $16.31
CINDERELLA (2D/SE) IN PROCESS $17.27

Order Total: $105.99

It was shocking how cheap BTTF was, let me hope it is the corrected version! I've only waited 2 yrs & 11 months for it.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
You might want to contact them and see if anything can be done.

The email that I got directly from DeepDiscountDVD clearly states that the sale goes through the 19th and no where does it state it ends 12:01 central time.

It's doubtful they will help you but it's at least worth an email or a call.

John Stockton

Second Unit

Thanks Patrick. I also received the same email and I went through it and even read all the fine prints and like you said nowhere does it mention that orders have to be placed by midnight central time.

They are closed today(Sun) but I will definitely call them tomorrow to see if they can accept my order and if they don't I will most certainly give them a piece of my mind.

Such unprofessional behavior from a big company is certainly unacceptable. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

John: I understand your disappointment about not getting your order placed...and I hope that when you call the DDD Customer Service Department they will allow you to place your order at the discount.

But I really don't see how shutting down their sale is either unprofessional or unacceptable. They advertised the sale ending on the 19th and it did--their time.

I'm all for good customer service. That's why I hope they will be able to accomodate you when you explain your situation to them. But I would think in this age of global communications, there would be some responsibility on the part of customers to know the time zone of the companies they are doing business with. For example, you wouldn't make a phone call to your relatives on the East Coast without quickly making a mental check of what time it is there first, would you?

Maybe they SHOULD have been more specific about the sale ending at Midnight CST, but under your line of thinking they would have to keep the sale open until every time zone in the world closed out on 11-19-2005.

Please report back and let us know how you made out. The DDD customer service folks have been very friendly and helpful the few times I've talked with them. They also followed through with personal e-mails when they said they would, too. Quite rare.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
First order:

1 BAN026302 DVD : PLANETES V.03 (2D/SE) $ 14.39 Backorder
1 COL010014 DVD : GODZILLA MOTHRA & KING GHID $ 13.47 In-stock
1 FXD024695 DVD : ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT-1ST SE $ 22.84 In-stock
1 MCA022270 DVD : ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS-1 $ 22.31 In-stock
1 MCA094566 DVD : MADAGASCAR (WS) $ 13.74 In-stock
1 NLD006959 DVD : STUPIDS, THE $ 4.79 In-stock
1 VDM008064 DVD : FINAL $ 7.42 Backorder
1 WBD031284 DVD : LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECT $ 38.00 In-stock
1 WBD068890 DVD : LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECT $ 35.31 In-stock

"Damn! Forgot Harold Lloyd!"

Second Order:

1 ARM000013 DVD : BIRD PEOPLE IN CHINA, THE $ 11.98 Backorder
1 BBC021060 DVD : RED DWARF 5 & 6 PACK $ 39.11 In-stock
1 BVD049346 DVD : DUCKTALES V.01 $ 19.11 Backorder
1 COL009868 DVD : SO CLOSE $ 15.60 In-stock
1 NLD008445 DVD : HAROLD LLOYD COMEDY COLLECT $ 50.63 In-stock

"Hey, I don't own In America. What's wrong with me?"

Third order:

1 FXD021671 DVD : IN AMERICA $ 8.26 In-stock
1 MGD007030 DVD : COFFEE & CIGARETTES $ 7.29 New-Price
1 TAI050854 DVD : BUTTERFLY SWORD $ 7.88 New-Price

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
is not an unreasonable concept.

DDD didn't state in their advertising that the sale would end at a specific hour on a specific date so it is unacceptable for them to end the sale before 11:59:59 pm in every time zone that they service.

In the past DDD did honor the sale until 11:59:59 in the West so if DDD wanted to change this, they should have simply added one little sentence to their advertising stating the hour on which the sale ended. Sans that in this day an age of web based global enterprises it is not unreasonable for a customer to think that since they can place an order before the stated end date of a sale that the sale prices will be honored.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick:

I can agree with you 100%.

The fault here is clearly with DDD for not stating clearly what they meant when they said the sale ends 11-19-2005. And, since they did not say Midnight CST, I would certainly hope that their customer service would hear that argument and allow John to make his order. That's what a good business should do to keep their customer happy and satisfied and coming back.

My point was simply that DDD was not being "unprofessional" and their action of rendering the codes inoperable at midnight CST was not "unacceptable".

Your point about being able to place orders with e-tailers 24-hours is extremely well-made and should make them more aware of the far-flung nature of their market. Although, I know, for example, that when I had to call DDD's customer service I had to mentally figure out when their offices would be opened compared to what time it was where I live. But, since they did NOT state Midnight CST and DO ship worldwide, they should have made clear exactly when they expected to end the sale.

I usually tend to look at these things from the consumer point of view. But, when looking at it from DDD's POV, it is their sale and they CAN end the sale whenever they want. While consumers may get angry with that...and choose to vent their anger with a "piece of their mind"...I have learned the hard way, after a number of personal experiences, that unless they're breaking the law, retailers (and e-tailers) do NOT have to make the customer happy. It is then the consumer's choice if they want to take the rest of their business elsewhere and let anyone they come in contact with know about the bad experience they have had.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the west coasters are stretching things here.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to terminate the sale on the stated day in the time zone of normal operation for that online store. DDD stated the sale ends November 19th for them, which most reasonable people would accept that to be midnight as the day becomes November 20th in DDD's time zone.

I have to wonder why people would wait so long to order since the sale has been going on since November 11th. It's bad timing if you just learned of the sale, but it's still unreasonable to try to force DDD to accept a coupon that has expired from their point of view in their time zone. The world doesn't revolve any of our respective time zones when vendors offer coupon discounts with expiration dates.

Just because an online vendor can accept orders 24/7, they don't process them 24/7, but they have normal hours of operation within their respective timezones in terms of fulfilling orders. The acceptance of orders is a convenience, but it still doesn't restrict DDD's right to pull the plug on coupon codes at midnight of a stated expiration date in their own backyard. They have a right to get to bed at decent hour too. Would you rather have the coupons expire 6 a.m. the next day in the Central time zone because of Hawaiian orders?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If this was a one-day sale we were talking about, maybe I could be a bit sympathetic to the idea that DDD should keep it open beyond the date and time listed in their own time zone. But a nine-day sale? Sorry, but who's fault is it, really, if you didn't get your order in on time by one hour? You already missed out on over 200 other hours...

DJ

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm with Damin and Patrick, this was a 9-day sale. If you wait until the last couple of hours to enter your order, you're playing with fire anyway (server crashes, internet outages, power failures, etc.) and shouldn't be surprised if you get burned no matter what the reason.

DDD did nothing wrong. If they continue to get such whining about how they run the sale, perhaps they should not run the sale at all anymore.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

Yes, you're exactly right. I do not willingly buy pan & scan. But my daughter insists on getting the crappy so-called full screen and my wife directed me to get her the pan & scan version for Christmas. (She's at college, so at least I don't have to see it.)

You try to teach them right from wrong, but sometimes they go over to the dark side...

RyanAn

Screenwriter
It's not unprofesional of a site if someone does utilize their time in a proper maner. DDD was being incredibly generous by letting us in on a sale - and for osmeone to try and be mad at them is wrong. For all we knew, the autiction could have ended at 12:01 am tis morning, we just had to be prepared. I've ordered three times during the sale, all in enough time. Don't wait until the last minute, especially if you are in a completely different time zone.

WWE-UNFORGIVEN 2005 $10.78
CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL-1ST SEASON $15.60
ADVENTURES OF PETE & PETE-2ND SEASON $15.60
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD MILLENNIUM EDT$11.97
WWE-WRESTLEMANIA-ANTHOLOGY $125.74

WWE-REY MYSTERIO 619 $11.96
WWE-JAKE THE SNAKE ROBERTS-PICK YO $12.94
CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (DELUXE) $15.00
FOREVER HARDCORE $10.54
FOO FIGHTERS-EVERYWHERE BUT HOME 1 $7.16
WIZARD OF OZ (3D/COLLECTORS EDITIO $27.87
STEPHEN LYNCH-LIVE AT THE EL REY $7.16
WWE-BRET THE HITMAN HART-BEST THER $15.10

HOME MOVIES-3RD SEASON $16.74
KIDS IN THE HALL-3RD SEASON $28.77
MR SHOW-COMPLETE 4TH SEASON $20.98
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL-SOLSTROM (SUPERBI $29.66
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL-FIRE WITHIN (3D) $23.88

I am very happy with what I got, order #1 already shipped and it looks entertaining.

Ryan

MatS

Screenwriter
in addition to what has been stated above DDD made the codes for their sale live during the day on the 10th (before the scheduled start date of the 11th)
If you missed out you only have yourself to blame
calling their behavior unprofessional is pretty childish

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks