Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Patrick_S...

I guess anyone could come in here and declare your comments likewise "worthless", particularly since the comments you are referring to were most likely aimed at complaints about not getting an order on the sale. I know mine (which is the one you seemed to quote) was. If you review several of the responses, many of them, including mine, acknowledged that not indicating the time zone the sale ended was not a good idea, but that if getting things on the sale was so important, then some effort should be made to place an order before the last possible minute. The fact is, you seem to be the only one here who is "evaluating this purely from a business practices stance" so there is really no need to demean the input of others simply because they do not approach the issue from the stance you choose. Maybe you could allow people to express their opinions without insulting them in return.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

In your son's defense, I always found throughout high school and college that the papers I completed well before the deadlines resulted in lower grades than those I pumped out burning the midnight oil the night before it was due.

Some people just work better under pressure. :D

However, I don't think the same principle works for ordering DVD's. ;)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
John,

In regards to my worthless comment, I wasn't addressing anyone directly and a quick read of the thread shows that many people touched on the topic of personal responsibility not just you. I dismissed them as worthless in regards to the topic I was addressing because they are irrelevant. If you take that has some sort of insult, there is nothing I can do for you.(See now I am quoting you!)Really? I would suggest rereading the thread. There are several posts discussing the business aspect in this thread that are not by yours truly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Opinions are not worthless simply because they to do not address what you are talking about. You are not the only one here. In fact, you didn't even start the line of discussion in question.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I never wrote that the comments were worthless in and of themselves. If you came away with that notion, I can't do anything to help you because at this point I just don’t care.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Just checked my order status, and nothing's changed... except for one thing:

"WrestleMania Anthology" is blanked out, with only the price, status, and quantity columns still there.

I checked the item page for it, and it says "No Longer Available."

I ordered this on Thursday. Hopefully I will still get it.

What do they do when this happens? Do I get an option to cancel the whole order, or what?

Well, either I get my things, or I have a lot of money back in my account... so it's OK either way.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got an email notice of my shipment but it took a little while for the order status to reflect it.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I think I agree with everyone! Patrick_S, You are making good business sense, and to everyone else, yes, I can relate to irresponsible procrastinators! Funny, I only posted the "poll" tally because I noted, up to that point in the discussion, a curiously consistent regional difference in perceived inconvenience - it depended on whether the poster was east or west of DDD's time zone. I think you got my point.

The customer for whom the deadline is convenient is more likely to be happy, than the customer for whom it is inconvenient. An online business has every right to sell to irresponsible procrastinators from far flung time zones, or to close when they darn well please.

For what it's worth, it wasn't exactly an exercise in "personal responsibility" for me (that makes me think of charitable giving and dreaded home repairs), but I entirely enjoyed the DDD sale and I had no problems. I finally splurged for the Criterion 5-disk Fanny & Alexander, Kagemusha, and a Cirque du Soleil DVD and more at 20% off. I would not be surprised if DDD makes the poster who complained happy, because in my experience, DDD has had good & responsive customer service.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's what I've been figureing because that, too, has been my experience.

I hope John reports back to us soon to let us know what happened.

Steve_CC

Auditioning

They claim orders ship in a day, it had been a week. I finally got my confirmation today.

This is my first order with them, so I was unaware delays like this were common. Thankfully we have wiseasses like you around to set us straight.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You know, I didn't realize I was being a wiseass with that original remark. I figured I was just stating the obvious, especially since as my fellow wiseass John David T pointed out that the initial point was made on the first page of thread.

Wiseasses of the world unite!

Anyway, I ordered 3 titles last Thursday. 1 was backordered. The other 2 shipped out yesterday.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I was proud of myself last X-Mas at the In-Laws' when the MIL opened a present from the FIL - Star Wars boxed set - Full Screen.... and I held my tongue. They just love those full screen movies.
Wait until they visit and see how a full screen movie looks on my new FP setup...

-Joe

John Stockton

Second Unit
For all who are interested here is what happened.

As promised, I called DDD first thing on Mon and talked to one of their reps. I explained that the site had not accepted any of the codes. He told me that they are sorry but the super sale ended Sat night and there is nothing they can do. I added that I had tried several times Sat at 10 PM Pacific time and was unsuccessful. Again he said nothing can be done and that they may have another sale in six months or so. This when I became angry.

I told him I want his email address because I want to send him the official email DDD had sent me regarding the sale. I forwarded him the email and told him to read every single letter in that email and tell me if he can spot one thing that mentions that the sale ends at 12 am Central(IL)time. He read the email and said that he cannot find anything. Then I told him how and why would a customer would assume that they are suppose to submit their orders by midnight Central time if there is no mention of it at all in the email?? I told him what if a customer does not even know where you are located. What then??

Of course he did not have any answer, so he told me to wait while he talks with his supervisor. After a few minutes he came back and said that there's nothing can be done since today is Mon and the sale ended on Sat night and why I had not called them right away or any sooner.

At this point I knew I was talking to a couple(him and his supervisor) of imbeciles.

I asked him, "Are you guys open Sat around midnight your time"?? He answered NO. I asked him "Are you guys open all day Sun"?? He answered NO. Then I told him, how in hell could I have called them if they were closed the whole time.

By this time I was really furious and demanded to speak to his supervisor. He told me to wait, while he gets the supervisor. A few minutes later the same rep came back and told me that his supervisor had instructed him to take my order and subtract the 20% from the total price.

I then took a deep breath and brought down my anger and placed the order.

I agree with those who have said that waiting for the last hour is asking for trouble. I will never do it again. But just to let everyone know, I first learned of the sale on Fri, the day before and it took me 4 hours of browsing their site on Sat night to finalize my selection.

I am pretty sure they knew they were at fault for not making it clear in their email that the sale ends at midnight Central time, and wanted to weasel out of it by coming up with other excuses.

So anyway I received my confirmation today. Thanks for tuning in.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John, I'm glad to hear it all worked out. I have always found it successful to be persistent but not abusive or get angry at who I am dealing with. Typically, having a sound argument and moving on to higher people gets the job done.

BTW, I have to say, if this whole ordeal is the biggest problem you have on an average day, you have my admiration. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks