DD or DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHalder, Dec 25, 2001.

1. MikeHalder

MikeHalder Stunt Coordinator

Any advantages using in DD or DTS? What is the differences or advantages of using one over the other? I know it's a newbie question, but I have never had this decoding option until I got my DA777ES.
    Mike [​IMG]

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

No real advantage in one or the other. DD does, however, have the advantage of being the standard for dvd. This regulates DTS to being an added bonus. The number of DTS titles is growing rapidly, however. Some prefer dd, others prefer dts. Both offer discrete 5.1 channel sound. You'll have to listen to both and see which your own ears prefer.

3. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

i have never seen or heard of anyone prefer DD over DTS sound-wise.

DTS uses less compression and therefore sounds better, all else being equal.

however, it also takes up more space on a DVD, and therefore there is less room for extras. some dvds that were released in two separate versions had less or no extras on the dts version. that is the drawback of dts.

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I have DVD's with both.. If and whenever possible I use DTS .
    That's just me though.. If there is no DTS Track, D-D is
    certainly not a "drawback" it's also a great format!

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

6. Sebastien David

Justin,

Is it true that DTS uses less compression than DD?

-Yes

Is it true that the VAST majority of listeners prefer DTS sound-wise?

-Yes

Therefore, can one make a logical connection between the reduction in compression and the increase in sound quality of DTS? Why, I think that wouldn't be too outrageous a statement, wouldn't it?

Or do you really not hear a difference between the two formats that is favorable to DTS? I highly doubt so. Both formats do a good job at reproducing 5.1 (or other, I might add) sound, however, DTS will do a better job, again according to pretty much anyone I've talked to about this.

Maybe my statement was too blanket-like, and for that I am sorry. But I still think there has to be a connection between reduction of compression and sound quality increase.

7. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

This has been debated here (and elsewhere) ad naseum. I'm not even going in THAT discussion.

I just wanted to enjoy a LOGIC discussion. Your conclusion is not logically reached by your premise.

If I use more coffee than my co-workers when I make a pot.

If the VAST majority of my co-workers prefer the coffee in my thermos.

Then, it's obviously the extra coffee that's making the difference.

Could be the water at my house. Could be the fact that I don't wash my thermos. Could be the temperature of the coffee.

DTS is often mixed differently than DD. Perhaps DTS is mixed with an ear towards a smaller viewing room than the theatrical mix. Perhaps DD is the untouched theatrical mix.

Keep in mind that DTS has increased it's compression since it first came out as they found they didn't need to use all the bits they had available to make a satisfying sound track.

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I say, get a system that does both and chose which format you want to listen to. Then we don't have to worry about it.

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

10. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I have yet to come across one disc with a DD track that sounds as good as or better than the corresponding DTS track. Therefore, I have concluded that DTS is the superior format. I know this is a controversial statement, but that's been the observation of me and just about everyone else I know.

When given a choice, I ALWAYS choose DTS.

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. Sebastien David

my apologies to all.

i was wrong and you were right.

it could in fact be a lot of other things.

guess I was just tired.

didn't think of the possibility of DTS being MIXED differently from DD.

didn't think of the fact DTS increased their compression without us noticing much difference in sound quality.

didn't think the compression algorithms aren't the same in DTS and DD.

however, I think the coffee example is a bit harsh. the connection between less compression and better sound quality is more instinctive and more logical than the connection you made between amounts of coffee and taste. anyways, I'm sorry again. I want one of my qualities to be my ability to realise when I am wrong.

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Speaking of Compression....
    I think that 11.0:1 Compression is much better than the
    usual 9.5:1 Compression. But it's getting hard to find a
    source for 118 Octane Gasoline without spending a fortune.
    [​IMG]
    Ohh you meant software compression? My bad. [​IMG]

14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    In regards to DD verses DTS. It is my opinion that DTS is much better than DD. In the areas of fedelity, depth and transperancy. DTS uses less compression than DD and does not sound muddy like DD. DD is a nice step up from analog dolby but does not hold a candle to DTS. I own a Yamaha 995 receiver and all DTS titles sound superior on my system.
    Dave M.
    moritz_dave@hotmail.com