What's new

DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
Add Pearl Harbor to the DDEX column.
Its the first dvd released with an EX flag on the disc which will auto turn on your DDEX surround mode if your receiver has it.
I have the Denon 5800 and it automatically enabled the Dolby Digital EX rear center channel.
Unfortunitely there is no indication of this dvd as having a DDEX encoding anywhere on the packaging.
A great demo disc!!!!

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just picked Pearl Harbor up today. My Onkyo 797 automatically put itself in DTS ES Matrix 6.1 mode when I played the DTS track, and THX Surround Ex mode when I switched it to DD5.1.

HOWEVER... The sequence I was watching when I did the audio switch was where the Arizona was sinking, and the guy is screaming that he can't swim... (99:40-100:19) In straight DD -or- EX mode, I am getting audio dropouts! First DVD I've come across that on....Grrrr

I'm running this on my trusty Pioneer DV-525 that has never coughed on one DVD that other brands seem to have problems with. I see in another thread that at least one Onkyo 898 owner is experiencing this. I seriously doubt it's an Onkyo problem...

-Seth

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Pearl Harbor is not specifically noted as Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES matrix encoded by the studio (and of course shouldn't be in the list). However, the movie's rear activity does seem to have been recorded with this type of surround decoding in mind. Forcing the film into EX and ES modes (which it looks like was done for us accidently) actually adds to the experience IMHO.

Still a crappy Bruckheimer-type plot though.

Dan

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched and listened to the action scenes in both D.D. and DTS on PEARL HARBOR. I will just say that EX sound can be heard between two rear direct firing surrounds(boy is TPM fantastic) as well as non-ex sounds that have sounds across the rear surround field(THE MATRIX). IMHO, PEARL HARBOR has very sparse sound effects across the rear surround field, but has excellent split surround effects. It is IMO not EX or very little Non-EX in its rear surround stage.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
We did a little bit of checking and it turns out it was just an oversight that the French 5.1 track has an EX flag. We have encoders in the field that can set the flag, and it was being used to encode another title with Surround EX, but wasn't reset when it went back into service for the French PH track, and no one noticed., since the existing studio monitor decoder (DP562) doesn't yet read it. Our new handheld bitstream analyzer reads it, and this is what we used to confirm the setting when we found a consumer decoder reporting the flag. The English track does not have the flag, and neither track is encoded in Surround EX. Sorry for the confusion, but at least you can see if your flag detector detects.

Roger Dressler

Dolby Laboratories

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well I watched Pearl harbor in DTS and there wasn't any flag detected.JP III's DTS ES Matrix however was detected and played back in ES Matrix on my Denon 3801.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
A.I. will have a DTS-ES soundtrack of some sort. No word as to discrete or matrix encoding.

Also, when it arrives to DVD, so will E.T. The Extra Terrestrial 20th Anniversary version. DTS-ES Discrete or Matrix.

Dan

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang!

I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the rather unusual selections of DTS-ES Discrete movies. I absolutely LOVE the audio format and had planned on buying every title that came out, just because the sound is so darned amazing. Now I see the current list and I am left scratching my head. DTS-ES Discrete, I think, would be considered a "premium" audio format. I have no idea what the associated costs would be to produce a DVD in this format, but I would guess it would be much higher that Dolby Digital or plain DTS. How is it, then, that there are at least four titles on the list that would be considered non-blockbuster titles? I am referring to the titles such as "Opera", "Maniac", "Suspiria" and "Evil Dead". The only one of the four listed above I have seen is "Evil Dead" which was a fun, goofy and gory horror flick. However, this is not the kind of film that I would think of when I think of premium sound format. "Gladiator"? sure. "Seven"? You bet. But I just can't get my head around the reason for having DTS-ES Discrete put on such obscure movies.

Like I said, I am looking for enlightenment on this subject.

Thanks!

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I'm not sure if this will help you but, the decision to put DTS ES (or any sound format for that mattter), is one made by the studio producing the DVD (the short of it). Anchor Bay, which produces the DVDs you mentioned, I would assume is a proponent of the DTS Discrete format.

Their movies have somewhat of a cult status and I guess they wanted to provide their relatively small fan base with a nicely loaded DVD.

Now, if only the other studios picked up on this and followed suite, we would see more EX/ES and Discrete sound mixes.

As far as costs incurred, I have not a clue. Maybe you could send a note to Roger Dressler with Dolby Laboratories to see if he could shed some light on the issue.

Enjoy.

Troy

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How would Roger Dressler know about what it takes to make a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 soundtrack??
Wouldn't you want to ask a real tech. at DTS Inc. instead of their competitor?
Dan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Jurassic Park III" should be the first to "correctly" have the Surround EX decoding flag.
Yep,it's the fist time I saw the light come on for the flag on a DD soundtrack.So much for the "you need THX EX to get the proper decoding",if my 3801 can detect the flag,that's all that matter to me,to get EX right,without other post processing!

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Dan,
Not wanting to turn this into a DTS/DD debate my suggestion was just that, a suggestion.
It by no means was meant to deter anyone from any particular format and since I know for a fact that a representative from Dolby Labs actively participates in this forum, I thought it would provide the quickest, most effective way to get answers.
DTS piggy-backed ES from Dolby's EX soundmix. Also, there's usually not a DTS ES track if the DVD doesn't contain a DD EX track first, so Roger would be a very viable source for finding out what someone would need to know about costs in processing both formats.
I hope we can leave it at that. I do respect your opinion and all the input that you've provided for this thread is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks