What's new

DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing (1 Viewer)

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Not sure where to post this but here goes...I just bought The Fifth Element Ultimate Edition which has DTS and the track is off synch in several places. Anyone else notice this? I popped in a few other movies I have with DTS to see if it was our player but they all synched fine.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
More specifically, X-Men: The Last Stand (R1) is DD EX and DTS ES Discrete...

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Updates.

I've tried to capture all the Blu-Ray releases, but the verification process is even more elusive/complicated than with regular DVD.

If I missed anything, let me know.

Troy

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Another bit of news coming forthwith: all 3 releases of Lady in the Water are confirmed to have DD EX tracks (standard-definition DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray). There is no DTS 6.1 ES track for any of them, but there will be a Dolby TrueHD track on the HD-DVD version. Check it out at DVD Times.
And it seems that hardly anyone mentioned that the 2005 version of King Kong has a DD EX track -- it's not mentioned on the menus or on the back of the case, but it does have the "Dolby Digital Surround EX" logo at the end of the closing credits (and it's confirmed on the Dolby website as EX encoded).

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
TonyD said:
does the new harry potter have a dd-ex on it?
Nope. Strangely, when the film was initially released in theaters Dolby listed it as EX encoded, but reverted it back to regular Dolby Digital in the weeks following. I looked at the ending credits and listened to the film on my home theater system... was just listed as "Dolby Digital" and DTS and didn't sound like a EX track to me.
BTW, how does anyone know that the third HP film was EX encoded? It didn't say on the ending credits, nor on the packaging. Was the disc flagged for EX, or what?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
go back only about 20 posts to 685 for king kong talk on this subject and why it isnt on this list

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just noticed Howl's Moving Castle is missing from the list. Thats encoded in EX.

Rod#S

Grip
Real Name
Rod
I see that the newest release of the original A Nightmare on Elm Street is listed as both Dolby Digital EX and dts ES on Amazon's site. I have seen the actual DVD in stores but it only lists Dolby Digital EX and Mono sound tracks (at least here in Canada).

Thanks,

Rod

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Edit: Nevermind. I might as well make a thread like this in the Other Region areas even though hardly anyone on here is multi-region capable.:rolleyes

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a list of movies on the HD formats which I believe to be encoded in EX. Previous versions, either theatrically or on DVD have been confirmed. I suppose it is possible that some may suffer from some unexplained anomolous remix which would be in less channels than their earlier counterparts. But in my opinion, that's highly unlikely and by no means probable. So I can sort of understand not wanting to include them on a definitive list, but I think they should at least exist somewhere in this thread since chances are, they're EX. So here they are:
HD DVDs:
The Bone Collector
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Corpse Bride
King Kong
Pitch Black
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
We Were Soldiers
Blu-ray:
Corpse Bride
The Terminator
X-Men: The Last Stand
Also, HAPPY FEET and THE FOUNTAIN are in EX.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray:
Funny you should post this now. I'm watching it and it is NOT flagged EX on my Onkyo receiver, which labels Blu-ray titles like "Total Recall" Dolby D EX 3/2.1 or "X-Men The Last Stand" DTS ES 3/3.1. So I have to enable EX manually.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Hey,
Thanks for the updates guys. I'll be updating all that I can next week. I have finals this week! :frowning:
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks