What's new

Dazed and confused (1 Viewer)

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Set secondary off for now. And stick with DVDs only for now, no BDs yet. See if you can get DD/DTS indicator on DVDs, with output HDMI, bitstream.

Does the volume control have any effect? Is the music strong & clear from the fronts, just missing dialog from the center channel?

There is a channel indicator on the left of the Sony. Are you only seeing the "L" and "R" light up or do you get all 5.1 channels?

And what was that TV model?

You could try calling Sharp and/or Sony tech support. Though I doubt they'll be able to help, can't hurt (other than hold time). Easiest is if you have friends from whom you could borrow a different BD player to test.

If it's too late to return the Sharp, just use optical, and don't go nuts over this, the difference is pretty damn tiny anyway.

Edited by Stephen Tu - 8/6/2009 at 01:41 am GMT

Don Keegan

Agent
Set secondary off for now. And stick with DVDs only for now, no BDs yet.

See if you can get DD/DTS indicator on DVDs, with output HDMI, bitstream.
no indication
Does the volume control have any effect? works normal

Is the music strong & clear from the fronts, strong

just missing dialog from the center channel? yes and surround

There is a channel indicator on the left of the Sony. Are you only seeing the "L" and "R" light up or do you get all 5.1 channels? just L R

And what was that TV model? older 55 mits rptv non hdmi

You could try calling Sharp and/or Sony tech support. Though I doubt they'll be able to help, can't hurt (other than hold time). Easiest is if you have friends from whom you could borrow a different BD player to test.
call both no help
If it's too late to return the Sharp, just use optical, and don't go nuts over this, the difference is pretty damn tiny anyway.

is the difference really that small is this worth it? thanks again for all your time and knowledge

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
How old a Mits, what's the model #? Some of those have DVI, if 2003 model year or later (xxx13 +).

So HDMI/bitstream, no matter DVD or BD, you only get L/R lit up, and the dialog/center missing, huh? That's really weird, especially for DVD (expected result DD indicator w/ all channels, like optical). While optical you see all 5.1 channels light and the DD light no problem on bitstream I'm assuming. And HDMI/PCM is same result, L/R only no dialog, again with both DVD & Blu-ray?

The difference is small, if you were past the return period I'd say just use optical and don't sweat it. But with new equipment, personally it would kind of eat at me that it wasn't fully working since I'd feel entitled to a fully working device. If you can still return the Sharp, or even if not, I'd get hold of another BD player (w/ full HDMI decoding) to connect, make sure it's not a Sony problem. Hard to know if it's a sample specific issue, or a device design issue, without another BD player to test against. Maybe it's broken, or maybe the BD doesn't like to do HDMI audio when HDMI video isn't being utilized.

Don Keegan

Agent
well your last sentence hit it on the head i totally disected the reciever manuel today after work and read a little statement that you may need to make certain settings on the image resolution of the player before you can enjoy multi channel lpcm so i set on the bd player for it to out put video w/ hdmi vice componet of course i can't see any video cause i have no hdmi or dvi on the mits but damn if the audio came to life all channels with full sound and all proper lights on the receiver l, r, s, rs, ls, and lfe so it now seems to receive lpcm you not only have to send hdmi audio out in pcm but also use hdmi video out to recieve lpcm does that make since?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Geez that's pretty lame. Glad you finally found the trick. Guess the Sharp HP16 is as lame as the piece of crap HP20 my mother got free with her TV.

The manual suggests that you can still get component video out of the thing, as long as you set the HDMI to 1080i (not 1080p), for a Blu-ray. Might have to set it to 480p for a DVD. Does this work or just nothing from the component video if it's set to prioritize HDMI?

I don't have to put up with this nonsense on my Sony BD, it does component + HDMI video/audio simultaneously no issues. If you can return the Sharp I would. I'd look at the LG 370.

Don Keegan

Agent
I hear yea! Lame i do get the 1080i video out so the video is good but the sound config is not backward compat for us nonhdmi tv pers so the sony rec go's back i think i will stick w/ dd and dts for now stephen truely thanks for sticking with me thru this project!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I think the manual says you can set the video priority to hdmi (and thus getting the sound), hdmi resolution to 1080i, but still connect to TV using component, and get picture (at least for BDs). Is this not the case?

But yeah I guess just stick DD/DTS, didn't realize you had an old receiver you could use, if it's too late to return the Sharp.

Don Keegan

Agent
Sorry to leave you hanging been away fro a few days! i've tried it all i can select hdmi audi out and componet video to1080i but not at the same time if i select hdmi video out i get great sound no video if i select component out i get great vid but 2 chanel thru the hdmi. the sharp i have i'm stuck with bought it apr 09 i guess unless i get a hdmi tv i'm done i did hear of this fury 2 connector what do you know about it? think it would woprk in my situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks