What's new

Dazed And Confused: Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

Yeah, seriously. I'm sick of all these unworthy Linklater movies getting special DVDs when those two movies deserve it so much more (especially the first one). At least Dazed and Confused is a decent movie. The fact that a Slacker Criterion Collection DVD even exists infuriates me because I DESPISE that movie. It's the irony of the same director making one of my favourite movies, and one of the worst, most painful-to-watch movies I've ever seen.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:) I could name off just as many, and certainly more, films that I think deserve a Criterion release more so than D&C....but what's the point?
It's not like anyone here is going to prove that their opinion is any more "right" than the other's, it's just a basic matter of opinion, period. You feel that D&C deserves it just as much as any other movie....it isn't that I think D&C doesn't deserve a criterion release, I just feel that there are plenty of other films more deserving than D&C.

That's just how I feel about it, however it's not like I'm going to get all emotional & argumentative about it & I'm certainly not going to get rabid about it if it does get a criterion treatment.

It's pretty much a moot point right now anyway, either it will get released....or it won't.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
The one reason I'd be happy for D&C to get a release is that it would be a huge seller - ala The Rock, Chasing Amy, Videodrome, Private Idaho, Life Aquatic et al - which results in more money for Criterion to splash around acquiring more obscure gems from Kobayashi, Mizoguchi and the likes.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Geez, couldn't disagree more, as I love SLACKER.

But, like it or not, it was one of the most influential films of the 90's. It inspired a whole generation of film students, to go the whole independent route. So, it was one of the most important films of the 90's in that respect.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:) The cover could be a lenticular 3D shot of the eyeball, everywhere you go...it follows you!

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I'm not really looking to buy yet another version of Dazed on DVD, but last night's AMC program was very enlightening.

The lack of features on the current disc is a shame, but all the problems with Universal regarding the production and marketing of the movie might not have gone over very well as official DVD supplements.

Great program though.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Maybe as a bonus feature we'll get the original 4-hour long first cut (with commentary)! :D

I will definatly be buying this. It's tied for my favorite movie of all time (with American Graffiti).

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
I think people are missing the big picture here...

This is the third film with Ben Affleck to be given the Criterion treatment!

Not that I hate the guy - he just strikes me as the least Criterion-like actor out there :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Rock...well....how about Walking Tall (2004) Criterion Collection!

...."can you smell what Criterion is cooking"?!?!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

According to the AMC doc, Linklater said the first assembly cut was 2 hours and 20 minutes. And he wasn't happy with it so cut it down. So, I don't think there really is a 4 hour cut, and if so, it won't be on the DVD.

Great documentary though.

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
Rick also mentioned a 2 hour 40 minute cut as well.
I agree- Great Doc.

Best High School film ever.
Linklater and cast perfectly capture the mood and vibe of just hanging out.
It's amazing this is a studio film.

The film is already 12 years old.
Would be cool if Rick can go back and revisit these characters. Like what he did with "Before Sunrise/ Sunset"

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I heard that, but I think he probably meant to say 140 minute cut, which is 2 hours and 20 minutes. When he does start talking about the editing, and the first rough cut, he said it was 2 hours and 20 minutes.

It makes sense because the finished film is only 93 minutes and there isn't a lot of talk about big storylines being cut. I can't see there being over an hour missing. Possibly with all the alternate takes put together, that could equal 2 40, but as a finished film, 2 20 sounds right.

Ben_D

Agent
Looking at all this debate over the lengths of various cuts, I can't help but think how cool a cut that clocks in at 4 20 would be for this particular film. Hope some official confirmation from Criterion comes soon...

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Any of Linklater's films would work as a Criterion release. His masterpieces (Before Sunrise / Sunset) would be right at home with many of the classic films already in the collection (IMHO). Dazed and Confused is a funny, easygoing, sweet, sad, piece of filmmaking and I will probably end up owning it again (sold my bare-bones a few years ago).

I don't like all of Linklater's stuff, but he's definitely a "Criterion director". While I greatly enjoy parts of Waking Life, for example, and like the film's concept, much of it strikes me as embarrasingly pretentious philosophy 101 claptrap. Not that anyone asked. But anyhow, I still wouldn't begrudge its inclusion in the collection (just as an example).

Criterion should definitely not be thought of as an AFI-style list (thank goodness). It is simply a collection of influencial or noteworthy films (for better or worse, depending on your taste) -- not a consensus list for film critics and film scholars. People who don't like French New Wave or Italian Satire (for example) can still find a favorite film on a golden platter, and I say thank goodness for that. And ohhhh, samurai movies. Give us more samurai movies.

I, for one, am still waiting impatiently for the Good Burger 2-disc SE.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

While I'm not as much of a fan of his BEFORE films as most of his others (I love them, just love his others more) I have to wonder, what more could be added to the DVDs to make them Criterion editions? Other than a commentary and a great transfer.

I mean, they are pretty simple films. Other than the companion books, not much to add about the making of them. You wouldn't have the extras like on the SLACKER DVD or the documentary and deleted scenes for the DAZED DVD. There isn't really a lot more you can do with the films.

You could probably do more with the still MIA on DVD SUBURBIA or even THE NEWTON BOYS (have supplements on the real characters)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks