What's new

Dayton sub, talk me out of it! (1 Viewer)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Well, I have been looking at the JBL E150, Velo CHT-10, Dayton tiny Mighty, and every other sub I can find under $250. I have come to the conclusion, that for the money, the Dayton is going to be ordered tomorrow.

The Dayton is the only one I have seen that goes down to 25hz. The JBL as more power, but it costs more and the reviews say it goes down to 33hz.

Right decision? Wrong decision? Talk me out of it!

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
O.K. I ordered the Dayton. There were some tempting choices out there but it gets crazy after awhile trying to pick just "the right one."

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean man...eventually you just have to go with your gut and pull the trigger. You'll be happy with the Dayton.

brad cook

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
My wife doesn't understand. This is a crazy hobby. I never stay satisfied with any piece of gear for very long.

Garrett, I would love to have and SVS but I also want a projector next year (or sooner!)and can't have everything. The price is high for me. Not that i can't afford it, but I can't justify it right now. i still have more work to do on the house. We built 2 years ago and my wife and I have literrally done much of the work. Still a basement to finish. You can guess what that will be for.

Sam, almost got the Velo. With shipping from JandR it was about $225. The Dayton was 143.00 shipped. For me, I figured I saved the money.

I hope it is better than my "top-of-the-line RCA subwoofer."
::D

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Dorian....

Let us know how you like it when you get it. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a Dayton as well. My (embarrased to say this ) KLH is on it's way out the door soon. I've updated my entire system but still using that POS subwoofer.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Probably 80 to 90% of us here had POS gear at some point. I know I did. Nothing to be ashamed of! At least you saw the light!

brad cook

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I know how you feel. I have to slowly update my system piece by piece. I'm almost totally done (for now ;) ) except for a sub. Right now I have a WEAK onkyo 8 inch 75w. My tempest is enroute as we speak :D .

Dorian, I'm sure it'll be a step up from your RCA, and thats all that matters really. Let us know how you like it when it arrives!

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
It may not be rated truthfully.

With the Dayton, 25Hz is a truthful rating. It has useable output at 25Hz. I've measured it in my room with the Radio Shack SPL meter, corrected values, and test tones. It was only down 3dB from the output at 100Hz (75dB, receiver volume at -40 I believe). I wasn't even pushing it. It's a tried and true sub. Absolutely unbeatable in the price range.

Dorian, enjoy the sub! :D

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
It will be here Thursday. I will let you know my impressions.

Kyle, hard to knock the E250. I considered that as well. Part of the issue is the wife does not like too much bass. This is for the living room. When i get the basement finished and make it a dedicated HT. Then I will go crazy with it.

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Dorian

What size room are you putting the Dayton in? My concern is that 100 watts may not be enough for the size of my room. (15' x 30' x 8')

Tod

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
It will be in my living room which is not huge by sq footage but is quite large by cubic ft. It is a cathedral ceiling with a loft overhead. It is 20x18. I was concerned about a 10" and the power. I have an RCA now that I keep at half volume and it will shake the house from the corner it is placed. It is 10" with a 100 watt amp. So if an RCA will shake the house, I hope the Dayton will do more. I am actually looking for an improved low freq response and a tighter bass response. The RCA is not terrible, it actually has good build quality. But the driver only goes down to 35 hz. More like a speaker than a true sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks