What's new

Dayton / Fluance / Precision Acoustics Subwoofer help... (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Auditioning
Hi folks,

I recently moved into a new house and am planning a dedicated home theater in the yet unfinished basement. Once completed, I'll probably be looking to get a nice sub from either SVS or HSU, however this will probably be a year or more from now.

In the meantime, I'm setting up a budget 6.1 system in my livingroom and all that remains to be purchased is the sub. The room isn't overly large (20'x15' with 8' ceiling), however it is completely open to other parts of the house on two sides. The sub will be used almost exclusively for HT, as my mains do a fine job for my music listening tastes. I'm working on a fairly tight budget ($200 US, preferably less)and I've narrowed my choices down to three:

1) The new Dayton 10" from Parts Express. I realize that this is brand new and I'm looking forward to the reviews/impressions that members will post here soon.

2) The new Fluance 10" sub. I've read a lot of positive comments about Fluance products in the archives here, but there is no impressions of their new subs. If any of you have bought one, can you give us an update?

3) The Precision Acoustics PA1000 10" sub. As far as I can tell, Precision Acoustics is only available through BestBuy in Canada. There is virtually no information available about them on the web. Are there any Canadian members here that have some experience with this sub?

Price wise, the Dayton (with the exchange and shipping)and PA1000 will be pretty close and the Fluance a bit more. So, are there any opinions available on these subs? Am I being unrealistic to expect any of these subs to give adequate "punch" during movies, given the size of my livingroom?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bruce

(BTW, this is my first post to this forum, but I've really enjoyed reading the boards over the past couple of months. I'm sure that I'll be asking many more questions in the future as I get closer to building the HT in the basement. Thanks)

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Can't you get a used Adire sub for $200 or less? I've heard some good things about Adire.

BruceH

Auditioning
I've checked out a couple of used equipment sites and the Rava is closer to $300.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce, this forum would not let me post the link because I haven't join this forum long enough. Do a Fluance Sub search, then click on "About to Take the Plunge on Fluance". Jason Cajda bought the 10" Fluance sub, and he seems to like it.

SamNF

Grip
I ordered one of the new DLS subs from Parts Express when they had it as their "deal of the day" last weekend - $99. As I am still waiting to receive my Ascend CBM-170 mains, I couldn't really do much by hooking it to my H/K AVR-225 receiver. So, I hooked it in to the LFE-out on my computer (I have the fancy nforce2 deluxe model motherboard from ASUS.)

The speakers on my computer are a pair of 8 year old Altec Lansings ACS400 multimedias. Nothing special, but not the cheapest computer speakers for their time either. (And I really can't wait for my Ascends. :D ) The DLS sub adds some nice extension and blends well with the correct crossover. I just tested it with a generated pure-tone and, with the level set to around half on the sub, the bass seemed very good down to 35Hz and rolled off down down to around 25, which is about what they specify.

The sub looks nice and cleanly black, semi-gloss wood venir patterned. Standard fare. Build quality seems high. There is LFE-in and LFE-out, so you could daisy chain a couple together :). The line level input/outputs don't take banana plugs, btw. Buttons on the back: 0/180 crossover switch, power off/auto/on, a level dial, and a 40-160Hz crossover dial.

Like I said, haven't had a chance to hook it to a real system yet, but my initial impressions are favorable. I think I did well to get this sub over a little Sony or something, especially since my preferences are mostly for music (ie, it doesn't seem as boomy as the Sonys I looked at.) I'll put up a proper review after I get my Ascends, listen to a few CDs and watch a couple of DVDs. And warn the neighbors on the other side of me...

-- Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks