What's new

Daylight Savings time is un-American!! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Why do we have savings time? It's like some sort of commie plot IMO, right up there with flouride and or precious bodily fluids! Why do we have to go through this year after year? It's 8 o'clock but we're all gonna pretend it's 7 o'clock...! Why is this imposed on the public? If a schools or businesses wants summer hours, why don't they set them, themselves? My dad told me once that during World War 2 they had double daylight savings time. He wasn't sure why. I say DST is BS!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Doug R

Supporting Actor
It may be crap but I love the fall switch... nothin like GAINING sleep.
------------------

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I am starting to dislike it as well.
Its all about money...more sunlight=more production hours=more money.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I've always hated this time of the year when we set the clocks back an hour. It is horseshit and there is absolutely no need for it. I prefer to have the light later in the day than earlier in the morning.
It's an antiquated idea that needs re-thought.
furious.gif

Here is a link that gives some information.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
quote: Why do we have to go through this year after year? It's 8 o'clock but we're all gonna pretend it's 7 o'clock...! Why is this imposed on the public?[/quote]You've got it backwards. From November to April, we run the CORRECT time, with respect to Greenwich Mean Time. During Daylight time, the clocks are set ahead one hour.
So, you're looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. I don't think it matters what time it actually gets dark- it's the fact that we change it back and forth that's troublesome.
Todd
P.S. Arizona doesn't change the clocks, either.
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on October 27, 2001 at 07:39 AM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
You've got it backwards. From November to April, we run the CORRECT time
Better known as Daylight Standard Time. Today is the last day for Daylight Saving Time.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Tom got it right. This weekend we go from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. I wish we would just stay on Daylight Savings Time all year.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, for the farmers, but like a lot of other things, someone gummed it up. If we have to have it then it should change on the spring & fall equinox. Right now it's about 6 weeks out of whack.
Glenn

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
You can read all about the "why's" of Daylight Saving (no 's') Time Link Removed
------------------
twokpost.jpg

Coming to a Home Theatre near you, June 25, 2002...
My DVD Collection

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's just an arbitrary number, anyway. It changes nothing about the actual hours of daylight, just as it would be a lot of yelling about nothing to say, "I don't WANT the distance between the goal lines in football to be 91.44 meters! I DEMAND that it be 100 yards!"
:)
------------------

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
quote: We don't have DST in Indiana[/quote]
Yes you do. Parts of Indiana change, other parts don't. (I grew up in IN, and it was all very confusing.)
Groove on this :) http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html
Arizona can be confusing, as well. The Arizona portion of the Navajo reservation, which consists of most the northeastern corner of the state, DOES observe DST. And to further complicate matters, the Hopi Partitioned Land, which lies in the midst of the Navajo reservation, follows the the Arizona standard, remaining on Mountain Standard Time year round
And here's more info about the whole DST shebang. http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/web.pages/holidays/DST.html
[Edited last by DaveF on October 27, 2001 at 02:54 PM]
[Edited last by DaveF on October 27, 2001 at 02:55 PM]

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to set my clock back tonight because:
A) We all gain an extra hour of sleep.
B) I will no longer have to get out of bed when it's still dark - at least not until about December when the days get REALLY short.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Don't mind Daylight Savings (Standard?) Time at all. Really seems to help with those nice long summer evenings. Not to change the subject but what do you have against Flouride in the water?.
"It's like some sort of commie plot IMO, right up there with flouride...."
We had a huge debate last year locally over this. To me it's a no-brainer. Anything that helps in the "fight" against Tooth Decay is welcome. I grew up in Manitoba, a place which has been flouridating it's water for years. I don't know of any case where someone was adversely affected by it. Quite the opposite as Manitoba has a lower rate of cavities/tooth decay than similarly sized populations in North America (including Utah, which is among the worst)that use untreated water. I don't see cost as an imposing factor either, especially with a community of this size (in Salt lake city area).
Anyway, sorry for the rant folks.....
Michael.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Living in South Florida, I can't wait for this time of the year. The time change is usually just preceded or just followed by the first cold front of the season. Already the temp has dropped 10 degrees into the high 70's. From now until May, Florida has the BEST weather.
The time change also signals Halloween, my favorite holiday.
-Gary

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Rachael,
I’d love to see "Rachael In the Morning!" I want to see the disturbing physical/emotional effect Daylight Savings Time has on you. Please post before and after Daylight Savings photographs on your web page.
Let’s see those choppers too! "Tongue art" Have you any new creations? Black coffee is not black with flouride
added! However, I used to drink Vodka and Water with a twist of flouride.
I have a feeling there is something special that you do during the hour that's being removed, what is it?
crazy.gif

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks