What's new

"Day of the Triffids" on DVD. Any opinions? (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I found a R2 version of Day of the Triffids at HMV for 9.99 pounds (about $20). Unfortunately, it didn't list details (OAR? Extras?) Has anyone seen this? I also hear that there is a UK miniseries version of Triffids, but I am not sure that it's available on DVD. Doesn't appear that it's been released in Japan either. Any info would be great!

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Alas, the BBC serial of Day of the Triffids - which is much more faithful to Wyndham's book - has yet to be released on DVD. It's a great pity, as the serial was really excellent.

There are a lot of visual similarities between it (the BBC Triffids) and Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. At one point Blackstar/Sendit had the serial listed, and I think they must have had a lot of orders - mine among them - but then the BBC corrected them and they made a big point of informing people that it was the original film, not the later serial. There's a market for the serial, definitely, but so far the BBC hasn't elected to release that (out of their enormous body of work - it'll take generations for all of it to make it to disc!).

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I heard the TV series isn't out on DVD due to a new movie being developed and the estate of the guy who wrote the novel is blocking the TV series from coming to DVD (due to the new movie being developed by some company). That is what I read at one of the forums/message boards I frequent.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Real Name
Paul Tilburgs
It is indeed a widescreen, non anamorphic release, and the image quality is not that good. No extra's apart from several trailers for other movies released in the same batch (like magic town for instance. Nice little movie, though.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Isn't it ripped from the old Image widescreen laserdisc?

BTW, a sequel novel called NIGHT OF THE TRIFFIDS was published a couple of years ago. I'd love to see a sequel/remake.

I saw the British TV version years ago. I don't remember being too impressed but it was butchered for US cable so that probably hurt it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks