What's new

Day Break - ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Anyone plan to watch? I do--the promos look great!

I just hope that "Lost" fans don't turn up their noses at this, seeing as how it's taking over Lost's timeslot for several months. This show was, after all, designed to appeal to Lost's fans in the first place, so that they have something to watch while Lost is on hiatus. I hope nobody gets into the mindset that Day Break is pushing Lost off the schedule and so they will resent it--that's not the case...Day Break is only here so that we don't have to sit and watch reruns of Lost. Anyway, I hope D B does well--it looks very interesting, sort of a deadly version of "Groundhog Day."

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
It looks cool, but obviously the whole living the same day over and over again isn't a new concept. Like you guys have mentioned, it was used in 'Groundhog Day', X-Files, and also an episode of Star Trek TNG and Millennium too.

I'll miss 'LOST' but this looks really promising.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I think the "repeating the same day over and over" gag was done BEST by SG1, when T'ealc and O'Neill relived that one day hundreds of times. I love these concepts, and will certainly DVR in (don't "tune in" much anymore...")

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The preview did nothing for me. I think I'll pass. Even though they can change it up as liberally as they want from episode to episode, I don't see how it won't get old after about 4 or 5.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Is it supposed to be an ongoing series, or is it a limited run series to fill that temporary gap for Lost? I can see if they resolve the whole thing in 10 episodes or whatever, then it'll be a good thing, but if it tries to go on for 5 years, believe me, it's going to get old real quick. I was just hoping it'd be a mini series that gets wrapped up and we can move on with our lives...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From what I can tell, it was just a 13-episode series for now. Perhaps it could get spun off to something else with Taye Diggs's character. (Then again, I sort of miss his other show on the former UPN).

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Instead of giving this show the green light, why couldn't they just bring back Tru Calling...a show that had an excellent cast, and was just hitting its stride when it was cancelled.

I'll probably check out the program, but I feel like I've already seen this before...and before...and before...and before...

Louis C

Supporting Actor
This show looks interesting. I thought I recognized someone from "The X-Files" in the previews they showed during Lost last week. So, I went to http://abc.go.com/primetime/daybreak/gallery.html and sure enough, Mitch Pileggi "Skinner" is there. It is produced by Rob Bowman, also associated with "The X-Files." Also it has Adam Baldwin (from Firefly and Serenity).

That is enough to get my interest. Might be a half-way decent show.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
How did a "Day Break" banner ad end up in this thread? lol; actually that's what I'm looking at right now--you might be seeing something else.

I hate to say it, but the endless promos for this thing are annoying me. I still want to see it, but it might end up being one of those "wait for the dvd" shows for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So far is just feels like he just has recursively bad dreams over and over again.

This is turning into "Run Taye Run".

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm finding it interesting so far. The 2 hour premiere helped establish the groundwork enough that I'm willing to watch it again next week. What doesn't work for me is the basic concept. It's a "real" show that asks you to believe living the same day over and over is possible. Getting past that (kinda), watching it unfold is interesting. At some point, he's going to need to start asking people what he should say to them the next "day" so it doesn't take so long for them to understand. My understanding is it can't be a note in their own handwriting, or anything like that, because the note wouldn't make it to the next day.

Anyway, I can't see how something like this can possibly last very long, but I'm liking that the networks are slowly giving us more quality short-run series instead of lots of re-runs. I've always said I'd rather have series share time slots rather than one series filling a given slot all year, often with reruns. This looks like it'll be a straight through run, which will help me get into it.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thought it was pretty interesting too, but i went in with low expectations because i thought it'd be lame. it really wasn't so much. there are all the cliche's and reused elements present, the conpiracies etc, i just hope it plays out with some degree of originality.
it looks like each forth coming epidose will be one day instead of the 30 min 'days' in the pilot. and according to epguides, the title of each episode starts with "what if..."

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone know if there is going to be an encore of the premiere airing. I didn't realize this started last night?

Real Name
Ryan Papineau
I enjoyed it as well. Not sure if this is supposed to be an ongoing series or just a short run. If it's an ogoing series, then I could see the concept getting a little old, but I'll definitely be checking it out from now on.

Curious if anyone can help me on this one. Twice in the episode, Taye winds up at what looks like a mining area with a number of large dump trucks. There is a guy speaking to him from the shadows though you can make out his face. I've seen this actor play a bad guy, usually as a henchmen so many times it's ridiculous, but for the life of me couldn't figure out his name or specifically what movies he's been in. Any help?

Scott De

Grip
"Curious if anyone can help me on this one. Twice in the episode, Taye winds up at what looks like a mining area with a number of large dump trucks. There is a guy speaking to him from the shadows though you can make out his face. I've seen this actor play a bad guy, usually as a henchmen so many times it's ridiculous, but for the life of me couldn't figure out his name or specifically what movies he's been in. Any help?"

Looked like Jonathan Banks to me...he was a bad guy in one of the Beverly Hills Cop movies and also had an arc on Wiseguy way back in the day, I think. Lots of other guest shots over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks