What's new

Dawson's Creek - Season 3... when? (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The one question that bugs me the most is: where is it going to end? In season 5 Katie performs Cheap Trick's I want you to want me on stage, plus there are quite a few other songs the band performs. And of course there's the MTV "party episode." What's CTHE going to do then? Just cut the episodes to shreds?? Right now, I wouldn't put it past them.

Add to that the usual over compression to keep disc count and price low, and this is fast becoming the worst treated TV on DVD release I have ever seen (except for the 2 Wonder Years DVDs from Laserlight.)

Chris

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I agree Christian. While I can't say for sure that I wouldn't buy any of the seasons if a background song had been replaced, it's one thing for a song performed by a person on screen to be changed/cut (which I wouldn't buy if happened) and also for THE DAMN THEME SONG TO BE CUT!!!

DAMN, I was overlooking some things, especially the cramming of the episodes on few discs, but the theme song is where I draw the solid line. No breaks here. If season 3 makes it to production without the theme, I'm not buying it. I don't care if they reinstate it for season 4, I'm not going to buy any further seasons without 3, and I'm not buying 3 without the theme.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
What a total shame, this was the last season I was going to buy. Looks like I'm finished now...

I refuse to buy it without the theme. How ridiculous is that!? Columbia Tri-Star is easily the worst of the major studios.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Are these sets selling that poorly? As someone else has mentioned, CTHE already has these sets on about 3 less DVDs than other studios would have. If they are selling poorly, it would probably be out of the question to think it had anything to do with the quality of the releases.

Aren't there episodes where there are music cues at the end of the opening teaser that lead into the theme song? Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear I remember that happening occasionally. I know they usually play the "Doo doo doo"s during the opening teaser right before they cut to the opening credits. They even played that sappy instrumental version in the next to last season (right?) of the show.

Somehow I doubt there's someone at WBHV right now going "Are we paying the Rembrandts anything per season set?"

Anyone know what they replaced it with? Let me guess. Chantal Kreviazuk?

It is sad if someone couldn't return this to the store. Even if they have the "Some music has been replaced" disclaimer on the package, I doubt most people would ever imagine that "some music" = "theme song".

I don't wanna wait for CTHE to get their act together...

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

It will be "Run like mad" by Jann Arden. It was used as the theme in other countries for a season or two. It is owned by Dawson's Creek people and not Jann's label so they can use it for free. It has already been decided that it will be used for season 4 too.

:frowning: :angry: :thumbsdown:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Paul Stupin talks about the theme song switch in his commentary, saying he wanted to change things up a bit, but then following that with a comment about cost.

Gord

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, whatever. I'm not getting it.

He's just trying not not feel like they messed with it.

The saddest is that aren't these the most profitable of the season sets for Columbia Tri-Star? Man, this is creepy if this is how they treat their best selling series...

Looks like my plan to pick up season 3 to tie things up is dead. Oh well, I have the only 2 seasons worth owning I guess... even though I really wanted season 3...

Thanks Columbia Tri-Star, you saved me 30 bucks...

BTW, the sappy version of the theme is used in 2 episodes of season 5, that I know of.

I'll pick up the finale disc as well I guess...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I don't have to click the link to know that's SEINFELD.

Part of me wonders if we'll start to uncover some problems with that set as well upon release...

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think they would dare to skimp on the seinfeld sets. The fanbase for seinfeld is much bigger than Dawson's Creek.

People won't tolerate any dvd screwups for the best show of all time. We'll have to see what happens.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I can live with some music changes but the what makes me the most upset is cramming episodes onto 4 discs. I would be willing to pay a higher price for a couple more discs. I have gotten many hour long shows and they usually have 3-4 episodes per disk making the set 5-6 discs. Perhaps I should just skip the dvds and use the tapes I made.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Wait, it was my understanding that the First Season set of Dawson's was intact, that no music had been replaced.

Didn't the replacement start with season two? I never saw any mention of this on the packaging of the first set, and it sounded the same as the broadcast versions to my ear.

Anyone have definitive word on this?

Thanks!

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

Only one song from the first season was replaced.
"I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge was replaced by "I Wanna Be Your Underwear" in Episode #110 - "Double Date" (a.k.a. "Modern Romance")

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
LOL!! I just got my season 3 set, and the DVD trailer on disc 1 promotes the DVD releases (Seasons 1-3 + Finale) as "packed with exclusive extras including in-depth interviews, Behind the Scenes Featurettes and all the incredible music!!" They've got to be kidding.

Chris

Josh_HI

Second Unit
I sneaked a peek at my Dawson 3 set and I saw the theme. It is not as good as the other one but it is ok. Atleast it isn't torture...:frowning:

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I immediately associate that theme with the show, which is why I'm not picking this up. It's just too much of a change for me.

I can't imagine watching the teaser, and then having some other song start over the credits... it just wouldn't work.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
This sucks! Are there any chances for R2 (or R4) retaining the theme song?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks