What's new

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I don't think it had the BIG jump in quality from Rise as others have said (I'm saying that more in how much I liked Rise rather than Dawn being a disappointment). Serkis was AMAZING and felt it fitting he got top billing in the credits (did he in the first BTW?). The CGI in general was so seamless that I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't really real apes or men in suits. It really looked THAT good and shows how CGI can be used in the proper way. The human's stories were very good as well and didn't detract from the apes as much as I thought it would. Here's hoping that it makes a butt-load of money so they come out with more Apes before long. I think they already have a July 2016 release set for a third, and hope that stays on track. This set of flicks so far are better than ANYTHING Apes since the original.

Here's how I'd rate the series thus far:
1. 1968 original
2. Dawn
3. Rise
4. Conquest
5. Escape
6. Beneath
7. Battle
100 miles of garbage
8. 2001 remake :p

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great opening boxoffice for Dawn. $73 million. It deserves it. From www.boxofficemojo.com
THIS WEEKEND Grossing more than the next 15 films combined, the new sci-fi sequel Dawn of the Planet of the Apes conquered the North American box office with an estimated $73M opening. The Fox tentpole averaged a muscular $18,402 from 3,967 locations and took advantage of stellar reviews, low competition in the marketplace, and a built-in audience which liked its predecessor Rise of the Planet of the Apes from three summers ago. Dawn opened 33% better than Rise.The studio had a solid product to sell and marketed it very aggressively and in advance including promotions during high-profile sports events over the past month to raise awareness. Demographic data showed that the audience was normal for this type of action flick. Males made up 58% of the crowd and 55% were over 25. 36% of the gross came from 3D screens and a good A- CinemaScore indicates that customers were mostly satisfied with Caesar and his crew as they fought for their survival against the damn dirty humans.Dawn was not the typical sequel. The story took place a decade after Rise plus the director and human cast were all new. With positive buzz and no new action tentpoles opening next week, the $170M-budgeted film could find its way to about $200M from North America alone beating the $176.8M of Rise.Overseas, Fox is waiting until the completion of the World Cup before attacking most markets but it did enter 26 territories this weekend with an estimated $31.1M. Korea and Australia were the only major ones, however. Rise enjoyed an incredible run in overseas markets and with substantial growth since 2011 in the international box office - especially in China - Dawn looks to find its way to over $600M in global box office. The next film in the series is already slotted on the calendar for July 29, 2016 with Matt Reeves returning to direct.
Great news about the sequel too.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I couldn't get that Ash murder-sequence out of my head all day yesterday. Amazing the sickening horror you get can away with in a PG-13 blockbuster, so long as it involves CG apes.

I'll admit there's a certain pleasure in seeing the apes get some payback, but that's generally when the filmmakers go out of their way to paint the humans as straight-up evil, which wasn't the case here.

That said, with Dawn, I did gave a hearty "About time!" when Koba beat Carver to death, because he was the kind of ignorant, useless twat we have way too many of in this world.

In Rise, practically every human outside of James Franco and characters close to him have it coming. One of the big unlikelihoods in that first movie was how a sadistic pack of ape-hating assholes managed to get hired to run an ape sanctuary.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wasn't able to see Dawn last night as planned but going this evening. Thoughts on the 3D presentation? Worth it? Not a huge fan of 3D but I actually liked Edge of Tomorrow better in 3D when I saw it the 2nd time. Granted it was also in an IMAX theater with the crazy sound improvements too.

Coressel

Supporting Actor

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tim Glover said:
Wasn't able to see Dawn last night as planned but going this evening. Thoughts on the 3D presentation? Worth it? Not a huge fan of 3D but I actually liked Edge of Tomorrow better in 3D when I saw it the 2nd time. Granted it was also in an IMAX theater with the crazy sound improvements too.
TimI'm usually a huge proponent of seeing 3D when the option is available, however for Dawn, in my presentation in an ETX Dolby ATMOS theater, the image was a bit dim and dark so the 3D wasn't as good as usual IMO. I believe Patricks opinion on the first page differs from mine so YMMV. See it on the biggest screen available first. Then in 2D or 3D as to your preference. Enjoy:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I guess my response is a bit too late as you are probably seeing it as I type. ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thx Tino...I must have read your mind. Jedi thing. :cool: I saw in 2d as it was the biggest screen. It was a dark presentation as it was.

I really liked it. Very much. I kind of grew up on these films way back. Have seen the original a gazillion times but somehow over the years I drifted away and Burtons 2001 remake is among the worst cinema experiences I've ever had. Never really thought I would see another one. Despite positive reviews and appeal I skipped Rise in theaters. :(

But I watched it the other night and really liked it. Back to Dawn. Dang these Apes look REAL. I mean scary real. Only one shot wasn't good and that was early on when Malcolm in surrounded by Apes and is on his knees. Looks like the Apes are behind Plexiglass. Other than that FANTASTIC. Serkis was stellar as usual but not sure it's any better than his Gollum work. But that's high praise. Really its hard to compare the 2 roles. Gollum remains the standard as does Davy Jones. The cast was extraordinary good and well played. Keri Russell is so easy to look at. Wow.

I liked the score, the direction, the pacing and the story.

Can't decide which I like more Rise or Dawn, but both are really, really good. While watching I kept thinking this film would have been great around Thanksgiving. Just kind of had that feel. It's a personal thing.

Good social message and not too heavy handed. Just accurate. Well done.

Solid 9/10.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, the filmmakers do a really good job of communicating a great deal about the characters internal conditions without saying too much. Just in the first confrontation alone, the son's frightened utterance of "Dad..." added so much depth to an already-tense scene.

This movie is a terrific exercise in "show, don't tell."

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Excellent movie! The Booth Bijou gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only negative I can say is that, for me, it was all too easy to tell when some of the computer graphics looked fake. It wasn't often, but when it happened it stood out like a sore thumb to me.

Still, a really fantastic movie! Highly recommended! Go see it on the big screen in a theater with a great sound system!

My favorite movie of 2015 remains 'Edge of Tomorrow'.

Mark

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Tino said:
It's close for me between the two. For now it's Dawn, but that can change. Two excellent smart exciting sci fi films in one summer. Whoda thunk? ;)
Three, with Snowpiercer. (I'd even probably up that total to four, with Days of Future Past).

Between this film and X-Men, 20th Century-Fox is now two-for-two in the "smart summer blockbuster" category, this year -- it's almost like they've finally realized that the script's the thing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'd put Captain America at 3, Xmen at 4, and Snowpiercer at 5

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
For me :)

So far:
Edge of 2moro
Capt. America
Dawn
X-Men

Seeing Boyhood this weekend. Haven't seen Snowpiercer yet.

Dawn is one I want to see again...perhaps this weekend in IMAX if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks