What's new

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I meant my presentation. Not the fault of the film of course.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dawn is off to a great start at the boxoffice. From Deadline.
Fox’s Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is continuing strong today and all bets are on a good Friday with a range of $24M-$27M right now (includes the $4.1M from late nights last night) for anywhere from $63M-$68M or higher for the three-day.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just saw it. Good writing. Deftly drawn ape characters. Another brilliant Serkis performance to no doubt be ignored by the Academy. One of the best Ape Movies ever, top three for sure. Makes me wonder if the sequel will be FULL METAL JACKET ON THE PLANET OF THE APES.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've been wanting Serkis to be nominated for an Academy Award for his motion capture performances since The Two Towers.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A summer movie with scope, scale, heart, and a script. Will wonders never cease? I made the mistake of skipping Rise in theaters a few years back, even after it got very positive reviews. I regret that, and made up for it with a 10 PM showing on Thursday. I liked it quite a bit on first viewing, and it like it even more after letting it settle for a day. It gets big without getting bombastic, and it examines social conundrums without getting preachy. I still believe that I liked Rise more, but not much more. Dawn flows from Rise pretty effectively, and does so in a way that makes real sense.Lastly, Caesar. I thought Serkis gave a towering performance in Rise, and he continues his mastery of such a wonderful character here. And Reeves really gives some iconic Caesar moments. In just two films, they have created a great genre film character, one I think that will be remembered for many, many years. I'm not totally sure what Andy Serkis is doing, or how he is doing it (and I know he has some help), but his work in the last 12 years is absolutely remarkable. And, even with his truly iconic Gollum (in a much bigger film series), I think Caesar is his crowning achievement. I look forward to another film in this series. May they continue to put character and story first...it really is great to see a worthwhile summer film hit on all cylinders.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What's next then? Day Of The Apes? Dusk Of The Apes. Night Of The Apes? Hope there are better titles than that for this great series.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Actually, according to screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, the original plan at the studio was to go from Rise of the Planet of the Apes directly into a reimagining of the 1968 Charlton Heston film (which was pretty cleverly set up in Rise by the news reports on the "vanished" space mission).

However, when Matt Reeves came onboard as director for the sequel, he talked the writers and 20th Century-Fox into postponing this plan for at least one film; wanting to explore Caesar's world more in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse.

Thus, they had to come up with a brand-new title -- "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," which does indeed sound like it should precede "Rise," but when things switched, that's what they were stuck with.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was getting the titles confused in my head, so when I went to pull the movie from my shelf to show my dad, I was looking under the R section. The only way I keep them straight now is just by alphabetical order, not any logic in the titles.Edit: See, I still can't keep them straight! ;-)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
People can moan that the system is irrevocably broken when a new Transformers comes out and makes gigantic bank, but the fact that a major studio dropped $200 mill on this fantastic mega-downer of a blockbuster is a big 'ol ray of hope. What an astounding science fiction epic. Loved it unabashedly.

Quite liked how complicated all the characters were, each one flawed in their own way. Hell of an ending, too. I was actually relieved that Oldman wasn't simply an "I hate apes"-villain that the trailer kind of (falsely) implied. You could actually see where he was coming from.

I loved how Malcolm just steps back into the shadows at the end, as Caesar is reuniting with his family. It's such a simple metaphor for the idea of humans ceding the stage to the apes.

And how we start the film by pulling away from Caesar's face, and ultimately end by pushing in on it. It shows that there's some real filmmaking going on, here. Reeves directed the hell out of this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There are so many wonderful layers to this film. I especially loved the strained relationship between Caesar and his son. What a heartbreaking arc they went thru. Amazing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Another boxoffice update from Deadline:Looks like a $70 million weekend.
6th UPDATE, Saturday, 7:00 AM: All bets are that after a $27.8M Friday (which includes that $4.1M late night start on Thursday), Fox’s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will pull in around $70M+, which means the second installment may end up doing around 30% better than the first when the dust clears on Monday morning. Don’t even think the World Cup finals can keep it in the $60M range now. (Fox just weighed in with its estimate of $70M at 7:50 AM). It’s swinging through a smattering of international territories right now (South Korea, Australia/New Zealand, India) but won’t go strong through Europe and Latin America until after the World Cup. The first installment — Rise of the Planet of the Apes — ended up grabbing $176.7M domestically and around $305M internationally with its biggest territory being the UK/Ireland ($33.7M).Gotta give Andy Serkis props for this film as he sometimes gets overlooked or not mentioned/credited as an actor because he is hidden behind CGI. He plays, of course, Caesar. He also gave audiences the precious Gollum in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit in addition to Kong in King Kong. Like any great actor, he did vast research on apes both in the wild and captivity to make his portrayal believable.
So with decent legs, it should cross $200 million domestically.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Those are great numbers. I'm going this evening. You know while watching "Rise" for the first time thursday; I missed the part where they said a "vanished space mission".

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Here's hoping it surpasses Rise's half-billion-dollar take from a couple years ago. It certainly deserves it.

Loved it so much, we're gonna be seeing it again tomorrow with a group of friends. I love the way the film challenges your sympathies with every major plot-point, but I am anticipating a little resistance from those who just want to see the apes beat the crap out of humans guilt-free.

Most of the human motivation in this wasn't, "Apes are bad, kill 'em!", but more along the lines of simply wanting their way of life back. Both sides are simply trying to protect their homes, which is a much, much more interesting conflict than having them hate each other because, y'know, reasons.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Toby Kebbell is absolutely amazing as Koba in this film. Listen to him talk about helping to create one of the best scenes of the year, one that's going to spawn a ton of memes (some whiskey-related):

Tim Glover said:
Those are great numbers. I'm going this evening. You know while watching "Rise" for the first time thursday; I missed the part where they said a "vanished space mission".
original.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks